[Archived] Original Mod Collaboration Thread

@Luggs & @KidneyBeanBoy:

You should add your character strings to the relevant Mobs/Items pages in the doc, when you get a chance.

Would be nice to have that aggregated in there, instead of buried beneath the 37 pages of this voluminous thread!

You can copy the empty template text-box i created in the Antlion page and paste it onto other pages.

If the page is already too full with art, just resize the images and move them around (they can be opened at full-size in a separate windows by shift or ctrl-clicking).

In the Google Doc? I'm sorry about that, i focused on posts with images (38 pages to look at!), but your name is there on the front page.

Again, it's a daunting task to gather all the info in this thread, that's why the Doc is a collab, just post a comment here with the content you feel should be added and i'll take care of it.

Got it. I'll get to it.

What would be wrong with staying there a long time? In my opinion, that's an important mission in the mod; Add something that the player will enjoy. If they have the ability to survive, they should be allowed to stay as long as they are able. Balance aside, anyways.

Edit: Basically, the player shouldn't be 'forced' to do anything.

hm...imagined it cool, my little bunny brain is nothing again you human brains

also, are there higher levels or something planned?

hm...imagined it cool, my little bunny brain is nothing again you human brains

also, are there higher levels or something planned?

Not right now. Not because I don't want that, but because of the kind of work that will be going into the first level alone. Maybe in the future there will be... Something.

I believe patching the saving subsystem would be easier, but it would possibly break in future updates. I can't imagine it would interact badly with any other mod, but that's not a sure thing either... For caves, is there even a way to affect the cave map properly? I'm not sure the world overrides would work. Then again, caves with all the static pieces removed would probably be a cleaner base, assuming we can populate the world as we see fit. At this post, @Ipsquiggle shared a (possible) fix for the saving issue (not the Adventure_1 bug), anyways. Maybe that would be a good start to the patching? (Assuming we go the adventure level route.) http://forums.kleientertainment.com/index.php?/topic/26501-up-and-away-mod-collaboration-thread/page-8#entry300024http://forums.kleientertainment.com/index.php?/topic/26501-up-and-away-mod-collaboration-thread/page-9#entry300312

Yes, we can affect the cave map properly. The only difference is that we can't use named presets, we'd have to use raw level numbers directly. But that complexity can be hidden behind an API. In fact, it's adventure mode that has a somewhat tricky worldgen, because the map generation doesn't force connectedness of the islands into one big island (to account for maps like Archipelago). That issue on connectedness is not patchable.And no disrespect meant to you or Ipsquiggle, but he was just stating the obvious. Not to mention his untested solution would not work, since it would only affect new SaveIndex instances, and by the time mod code runs the SaveIndex has already been instantiated.

Got it. I'll get to it.

:grin:

Already populated all pages with the strings text-box for you ;)

EDIT:

Special properties of each mob and item aswell as observations and ideas can be added as notes to each page

Edited by lifemare

hm...imagined it cool, my little bunny brain is nothing again you human brains also, are there higher levels or something planned?

There's no reason not to implement functionality enabling that right now. Especially since adding support for it later would be harder, involving quite a bit of code rewrite.But the actual design/contents of higher levels will probably take a while, since the first level is the priority.

There's no reason not to implement functionality enabling that right now. Especially since adding support for it later would be harder, involving quite a bit of code rewrite. 

do you mean to the thunder ghosts?

i fully agree with doing the first level done, ive just asked for it

Yes, we can affect the cave map properly. The only difference is that we can't use named presets, we'd have to use raw level numbers directly. But that complexity can be hidden behind an API. In fact, it's adventure mode that has a somewhat tricky worldgen, because the map generation doesn't force connectedness of the islands into one big island (to account for maps like Archipelago). That issue on connectedness is not patchable.And no disrespect meant to you or Ipsquiggle, but he was just stating the obvious. Not to mention his untested solution would not work, since it would only affect new SaveIndex instances, and by the time mod code runs the SaveIndex has already been instantiated.

No disrespect taken. I need to be told those kinds of things to improve, especially if I (apparently) don't know them already.

I suppose we should switch to a cave level, then. Considering those points. That would also make it a snap to allow for the next level, in the future when that becomes more feasible.

Looking at the presentation, which is lovely by the way, I had a thought. We shouldn't have so many types of food up there. It honestly is feeling less like a Cloud realm and more like Candy Land.

Pending things are those that are not confirmed yet. Aside from that, there is already far more animals than there are food.

Looking at the presentation, which is lovely by the way, I had a thought. We shouldn't have so many types of food up there. It honestly is feeling less like a Cloud realm and more like Candy Land.

True. My eatable cloud turf idea doesn't help...

We'll have to scrap some of those when we start balancing the mod.

As a quick remedy, they could all be very UP.

True. My eatable cloud turf idea doesn't help...We'll have to scrap some of those when we start balancing the mod.As a quick remedy, they could all be very UP.

They could work like taffy. Helps your hunger but the health hits will start adding up.

do you mean to the thunder ghosts?

No, I was talking about higher cloud levels. I'm with my mind set on infrastructure right now, not content.

I suppose we should switch to a cave level, then. Considering those points. That would also make it a snap to allow for the next level, in the future when that becomes more feasible.

Implementing higher levels in adventure wouldn't be too hard as well, provided we effectively patch the saving (otherwise the higher level itself would overwrite the savedata for the lower one).I'll compile a list with the effective differences between choosing adventure or cave (besides save/loading concerns). One thing I noticed is that the Telelocator Staff would be a nuisance. That's because when it's used in a cave it triggers an earthquake, and it doesn't check for the quaker component, it just uses it:
if ground.topology.level_type == "cave" then    TheCamera:Shake("FULL", 0.3, 0.02, .5, 40)     ground.components.quaker:MiniQuake(3, 5, 1.5, teleportee)        returnend
So we'd have to disable the quaker functionality by postinits and such, because just removing it (or not adding it at all) would trigger a crash when using the staff.EDIT
If that check in the Telelocator Staff had been properly implemented by calling SaveGameIndex:IsCave() instead of doing that raw equality check things would be much easier. Edited by simplex

And by the way, I noticed we can't really customize the world entity with a cloudrealm one. From gamelogic.lua:

local world = nillocal ceiling = nilif savedata.map.prefab == "cave" then         world = SpawnPrefab("cave")        -- ceiling = SpawnPrefab("ceiling")else        world = SpawnPrefab("forest")end

And by the way, I noticed we can't really customize the world entity with a cloudrealm one. From gamelogic.lua:

local world = nillocal ceiling = nilif savedata.map.prefab == "cave" then         world = SpawnPrefab("cave")        -- ceiling = SpawnPrefab("ceiling")else        world = SpawnPrefab("forest")end

ill guess thats no good thing for the progress