[Archived] Original Mod Collaboration Thread

I'm leaning towards permadeath.

That'd be my personal preference. But since it's a mod, I don't know.How about: If you die up there, you fall from the sky and die in survival mode. That way, if you have a touchstone/effigy in survival you'll respawn. Edited by simplex
  • Like 2

That'd be my personal preference. But since it's a mod, I don't know.

How about: If you die up there, you fall from the sky and die in survival mode. That way, if you have a touchstone/effigy in survival you'll respawn. 

Oh, simplex, having issues trying to spawn anything from the mod. Do mod items not spawn with the console?

Tried DebugSpawn("shopkeeper"), ("shop_basic"), anything I can think of meaning Shopkeeper. I know I'm probably doing something stupid.

EDIT -

I like the edited suggestion. However, the only animation I can think of is the Worm Hole one, so would it be necessary to do some clever code editing?

Edited by ArcticFox789

its a long time ago i was here and had an idea:

Thunder ghosts:they are the defenders of the sky kingdom, they spawn with the time you spend up there, at first 1 spawns in form of glowing eyes, when the second spawned they are and act like the hallucinations before the state of insaneness, they attack you when the third spawned and chases you with the speed of a terrorbeak, they surround you like the batilisks and try to hit you, if this happens the screen turns black and you are back on the surface, you wake up with 20 Hp, 50 hunger and 50 sanity 

Oh, simplex, having issues trying to spawn anything from the mod. Do mod items not spawn with the console? Tried DebugSpawn("shopkeeper"), ("shop_basic"), anything I can think of meaning Shopkeeper. I know I'm probably doing something stupid. EDIT -I like the edited suggestion. However, the only animation I can think of is the Worm Hole one, so would it be necessary to do some clever code editing?

It's DebugSpawn("shopkeeper"). Strange. I just double-checked it, and it's working fine!And about the animation, we don't really need one. We can literally make the player fall from the sky. I'm doing that for the loot of the beanstalk, you can see for yourself (DebugSpawn("beanstalk"), grab an axe and chop it).

How should player death be handled? Permadeath? Respawning at the beanstalk's bottom?

p.s.: And debugman, your choice of CAMPAIGN_LENGTH + 1 for the cloud world was not ideal (blame the game for being misleading): the epilogue has id CAMPAIGN_LENGTH + 1, being possible for the cloud level to appear in adventure mode (check SaveIndex:BuildAdventurePlaylist()). It should be CAMPAIGN_LENGTH + 2, at least. Alternatively, we can just degenerate its interval: if the maximum position is lower than the minimum one, it'll never be chosen regardless of the actual values.

But I'm still not sure if it's best to use adventure mode or caves as a base. Both have so much hardcoded behaviour. :/

If I recall correctly, anything else doesn't work, because of the way the adventure playlist works. Unless of course they changed that. I haven't personally seen it replace the epilogue, but I suppose it could happen. I did a fair bit of experimenting before settling on making it an adventure level.

A world API would be amazing to have, but I'm sure that'd require a good deal of work on Klei's end.

Google Doc updated to include almost everything posted in this thread (phew).

Latest access requests accepted.

If there's something missing that you want to add and don't happen to have editing privileges, leave a comment on the doc or in this thread.

ArcticFox789: A Longbill page is already set-up and includes some of your work. I've added you as an editor.

That. is. AMAIZNG!

Unfortunately, not my art :frown-new:  Just added the title and the Wilson sillhouette...

• Like 1

Dang, this mod is becoming huge!

Sadly I can't do any more suggestions because my older sister is taking my computer for college, but I will leave this last idea with you:

A slurper type mob that eats sanity. Looks kinda like nightmare fuel.

Quotes for it:

Wilson: That is the stuff of nightmares.

Willow: I should run before it eats my mental stability.

Wolfgang: Scary ghost thingy want to eat my thoughts!

WX-78: FOOLISH CREATURE. PROGRAMMING IS NOT EDIBLE.

Wendy: I have seen worse creatures.

Wickerbottom: (Idk)

Woodie: Truly terrifying.

Maxwell: Klei, did you make this?

If I recall correctly, anything else doesn't work, because of the way the adventure playlist works. Unless of course they changed that. I haven't personally seen it replace the epilogue, but I suppose it could happen. I did a fair bit of experimenting before settling on making it an adventure level. A world API would be amazing to have, but I'm sure that'd require a good deal of work on Klei's end.

That can be patched. That's why I'm asking, I'm working on it right now. Edited by simplex

So someone mentioned, awhile back, about a small wind funnel, or something. I think that something like that, which would randomly send you somewhere on the map, would be cool to implement as an attack, or something, but I'm not sure there's a suitable base yet.

• Like 1

looking like i get ignored :(

Everything gets looked at and considered. Not everything gets implemented, but everything DOES get looked at eventually. Sometimes its necessary to peruse the thread for suggestions that might have been overlooked. If we added everything that everyone has suggested, we would never finish the mod!

• Like 1

Everything gets looked at and considered. Not everything gets implemented, but everything DOES get looked at eventually. Sometimes its necessary to peruse the thread for suggestions that might have been overlooked. If we added everything that everyone has suggested, we would never finish the mod!

yesh, whts your opinion about it?i thought it would mke it harder to stay up there such a long time, and it would be bd if we cn stay up there forever and forget about the world down

That can be patched. That's why I'm asking, I'm working on it right now.

Ah. Heads up, I'm testing the balance and effects of the skyflowers, so I re-enabled the world multiply changes. (But I changed the new entries to values that would probably never be actually called by anything else, so for the moment, it should be fine, I think.)

yesh, whts your opinion about it?i thought it would mke it harder to stay up there such a long time, and it would be bd if we cn stay up there forever and forget about the world down

Not a fan. I don't like the idea of something that's designed so it eventually kicks you out of the world. Just seems forced.

What would be wrong with staying there a long time? In my opinion, that's an important mission in the mod; Add something that the player will enjoy. If they have the ability to survive, they should be allowed to stay as long as they are able. Balance aside, anyways.

Edit: Basically, the player shouldn't be 'forced' to do anything.

Edited by debugman18

@debugman18I get that using adventure mode was the easiest fit. The problem is that the game assumes there's only one adventure mode. In particular, the save file for the cloud realm would be adventure_1 (replacing the "1" by the current save slot). This means that if someone enters actual adventure mode, the cloud world will get overwritten. Caves, on the other hand, have the concept of cave number, with each cave having its number and its associated file.So we have two options: try to switch to a cave-based model or try to patch the saving subsystem for adventure mode.

@Luggs & @KidneyBeanBoy:

You should add your character strings to the relevant Mobs/Items pages in the doc, when you get a chance.

Would be nice to have that aggregated in there, instead of buried beneath the 37 pages of this voluminous thread!

You can copy the empty template text-box i created in the Antlion page and paste it onto other pages.

If the page is already too full with art, just resize the images and move them around (they can be opened at full-size in a separate windows by shift or ctrl-clicking).

looking like i get ignored :(

In the Google Doc? I'm sorry about that, i focused on posts with images (38 pages to look at!), but your name is there on the front page.

Again, it's a daunting task to gather all the info in this thread, that's why the Doc is a collab, just post a comment here with the content you feel should be added and i'll take care of it.

@debugman18I get that using adventure mode was the easiest fit. The problem is that the game assumes there's only one adventure mode. In particular, the save file for the cloud realm would be adventure_1 (replacing the "1" by the current save slot). This means that if someone enters actual adventure mode, the cloud world will get overwritten. Caves, on the other hand, have the concept of cave number, with each cave having its number and its associated file.So we have two options: try to switch to a cave-based model or try to patch the saving subsystem for adventure mode.

I believe patching the saving subsystem would be easier, but it would possibly break in future updates. I can't imagine it would interact badly with any other mod, but that's not a sure thing either...

For caves, is there even a way to affect the cave map properly? I'm not sure the world overrides would work. Then again, caves with all the static pieces removed would probably be a cleaner base, assuming we can populate the world as we see fit.

At this post, @Ipsquiggle shared a (possible) fix for the saving issue (not the Adventure_1 bug), anyways. Maybe that would be a good start to the patching? (Assuming we go the adventure level route.)

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/index.php?/topic/26501-up-and-away-mod-collaboration-thread/page-8#entry300024

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/index.php?/topic/26501-up-and-away-mod-collaboration-thread/page-9#entry300312

Edited by debugman18