[Archived] Original Mod Collaboration Thread

@LuggsI like it! :grin:@debugman18I just think it would make more sense. The earth is still spinning, isn't it? And I think having more phases is always a chance for adding more periodic variety.

That's definitely something I've considered. (The periodic variety.) As for sense, well, anything in this game could be explained away with magic. So perhaps longer than usual days?

On a side note, what about some sort of phase system, similar to the nightmare system recently implemented? Maybe a period of time where Giants will wander the landscape, dynamically making camps and planting new Giants, if we go that route?

I'll work on implementing the shopkeeper, in the meanwhile.

• Like 1

@debugman18How are we gonna coordinate code development/collaboration? Since you didn't answer my previous question, I presume you're not familiar with git.

I'm a little familiar with git. I'm not an expert in using it, but I can use it. Committing/pushing/etcetera. If you have a repo we could use git. I've got netbeans, but I haven't been using it for modding. (I've been using notepad++ for the lua files).

Where was your previous question? I must've missed it, apologies.

Edit: Found it back on the first page. It was an edit, which explains why I didn't see it. I heavily rely on notifications, so sometimes edits slip past my radar.

Edited by debugman18
  • Like 1

I'm a little familiar with git. I'm not an expert in using it, but I can use it. Committing/pushing/etcetera. If you have a repo we could use git. I've got netbeans, but I haven't been using it for modding. (I've been using notepad++ for the lua files). Where was your previous question? I must've missed it, apologies.Edit: Found it back on the first page. It was an edit, which explains why I didn't see it. I heavily rely on notifications, so sometimes edits slip past my radar.

No problem. I made a GitHub account just for DS mods, https://github.com/nsimplex. I can host the repository in my account, but since you're the project's founder it would be fitting for it to be hosted in an account of yours (if you want to).

On a side note, what about some sort of phase system, similar to the nightmare system recently implemented? Maybe a period of time where Giants will wander the landscape, dynamically making camps and planting new Giants, if we go that route?

Uh, storm clouds?

A quick mock up of the shop I did. (Ignore the Maxwell in front of Wilson, I miss clicked :)

I was thinking more of a traveling merchant. But i like the store layout.

Okay stupid idea. Cloud sheep. A peaceful animal. You can use a razor to shave them and get the mentioned cloud bits. But they have a dark side. Static electricity slowly builds up in the cloud layer beneath you. Which is shown by the cloud turf turning gray. (Grey or gray?) once enough electricity builds up, shown by the cloud turf becoming a darker gray, they become Storm Rams. These are aggressive and charge at you like rooks.

Edited by Luggs
  • Like 2

Had some more ideas that could be interesting. How about some pigs with wings up there? I feel like you could make some "when pigs fly jokes" and they could drop flying bacon or something. Also how about some bird mobs? Like pigs/merms/bunnyman models but bird like You'd be able to craft a birdhouse/nest for them to spawn out of them with like a dozen eggs, boards/beefalo whool, and 10 feathers. Depending what kind of feathers you use you would get a different bird model spawner.

I'm a bit curious about how weather would work when you're up there, maybe when its raining you take damage, wathever is the character you're using (because when starts raining the cloud would acumulate electricity, and get grey) and the only way to create a safe zone would be by placing a lightning rod to absorve some electricity.

No problem. I made a GitHub account just for DS mods, https://github.com/nsimplex. I can host the repository in my account, but since you're the project's founder it would be fitting for it to be hosted in an account of yours (if you want to).

https://github.com/debugman18/UpAndAway

I'll upload what I've got currently.

Okay stupid idea. Cloud sheep. A peaceful animal. You can use a razor to shave them and get the mentioned cloud bits. But they have a dark side. Static electricity slowly builds up in the cloud layer beneath you. Which is shown by the cloud turf turning gray. (Grey or gray?) once enough electricity builds up, shown by the cloud turf becoming a darker gray, they become Cloud Rams. These are aggressive and charge at you like rooks.

I'm a bit curious about how weather would work when you're up there, maybe when its raining you take damage, wathever is the character you're using (because when starts raining the cloud would acumulate electricity, and get grey) and the only way to create a safe zone would be by placing a lightning rod to absorve some electricity.

I'm starting to warm up to this static mechanic...

Edited by debugman18
  • Like 1

Where would the lightning rod discharge electricity to? :razz:

I'm starting to warm up to this static mechanic...

If we do the static cycle, it should be different than the ruins nightmare cycle. Instead of spawning hostiles, it should alter existing mobs. Cloud sheep become storm rams, giants became more dangerous etc etc. Edited by Luggs

A road block of sorts. What model would the bean giant use? Treeguard is too thin. Hunchback models would look a bit weird blown up. Deerclops could work as it is designed with giant scale in mind. But the arms and legs might be an issue.

Edited by Luggs

A road block of sorts. What model would the bean giant use? Treeguard is too thin. Hunchback models would look a bit weird blown up. Deerclops could work as it is designed with giant scale in mind. But the arms and legs might be an issue.

This is a good question. I think the Treeguard could be made to work by scaling it only horizontally. But designing art with uneven scaling in mind does add some challenge. Not to mention there's a compromise in visual quality.I can't really think of a good model.

This is a good question. I think the Treeguard could be made to work by scaling it only horizontally. But designing art with uneven scaling in mind does add some challenge. Not to mention there's a compromise in visual quality.I can't really think of a good model.

They are called bean giants. What if they actually were beans. We use the Deerclops model, make the body the bean, and the arms and legs are the bean stalks. The head could be a flower of some sort.

They are called bean giants. What if they actually were beans. We use the Deerclops model, make the body the bean, and the arms and legs are the bean stalks. The head could be a flower of some sort.

I had something in mind where they would be similar to gnolls, at least in terms of aesthetics. Including the aspect of essentially being beans. Maybe that entire concept is absurd in practice, we'd have to see how it actually looks.

I had something in mind where they would be similar to gnolls, at least in terms of aesthetics. Including the aspect of essentially being beans. Maybe that entire concept is absurd in practice, we'd have to see how it actually looks.

We're talking about a game with a koala elephant, a deer cyclops, and an enemy that is just a rhino head. We'd have to try really hard to be absurd.

We're talking about a game with a koala elephant, a deer cyclops, and an enemy that is just a rhino head. We'd have to try really hard to be absurd.

Valid point.

Any ideas for the description strings for the shopkeeper? It's not direly important, but I'm working on implementing him right now.

Valid point. Any ideas for the description strings for the shopkeeper? It's not direly important, but I'm working on implementing him right now.

Wilson: Odd place to set up a store.

Willow: I like the flag on his umbrella.

Wendy: A deceiver at heart.

Wolfgang: Umbrella man wants deal.

WX-78: A PEDDLER OF GOODS.

Wickerbottom: Perhaps he has some books for sale.

Woodie: Men like this ran my lumber yard.

Maxwell: I thought I got rid of you.

Edited by Luggs

Valid point.

Any ideas for the description strings for the shopkeeper? It's not direly important, but I'm working on implementing him right now.

Wilson: he seems shady

Wendy: he amasses a fortune but he still has a sad end

Wolfgang: tiny shady man wants trade

Willow: Maybe he will buy fire

WX-78: Trading module responding

Wickerbottom: they are very quiet, I like them

Woodie: that's a nice trade eh?

Wes: ...

Maxwell: I banished him here a long time ago

I tried to make the Shopkeeper set piece again. This time I took TeoSS's thoughts and gave it a simple traveling merchant look. For those of you curious of the inspiration, in Spain, I saw several people selling stuff on rugs which have ropes attached to the corner so they can pack up at a moment's notice. Posted Image

• Like 1

Could you make a way to make the shopkeep spawn outside of the shop? I wanted to download this and get the shopkeep to work on a pre-existing world. Perhaps make his shop spawn in the underground ruins as well. Kinda like the nether containing stuff to get to the end.

Edited by KidneyBeanBoy