An Update on Don’t Starve

Well, I'm a little disappointed that we wont be seeing lava caves anytime soon, if at all, but hey, that was asking allot of you guys. Same with anti-winter. But I'm glad that you guys've prioritized, that's good, and squashing bugs is a good priority.And as for the DLC, sounds pretty cool, but any chance chrome users can get it?

Can't help but notice that you didn't mention Ruins weren't coming... Does that mean they're still going to be added?

Ruins will be added. Just look here:

This means instead of adding big new features (Lava or a new season), we’re going to focus on balancing the things we already have (Caves, Ruins, Recipes), and also squashing all the bugs that are always on the bottom of the pile because we need to rush for the next 3 week push. Another huge benefit is that mods won’t constantly break as we’re not shifting the ground beneath them.

Edit: Oh, ninja'd by [MENTION=2]Bigfoot[/MENTION]!

I don't mind the buffing of ruins, caves, and maybe I mind the recipes.But just saying nerf the Cave Spider rocks; they're quite easy to find and impossible to destroy complete unless mining at them until you're done counts as that; I don't see any real fun in that.But with all honesty; I guess we'll miss Lava Caves for the molment. But you could like post things leading to said Lava Caves and maybe hints on how we get there and what's in it (besides just lava, of course)

Hi Bigfoot (and the rest of the staff of course),I appreciate the hard work you guys have put into this game. This game is worth its value many times over, and I think we all can understand.This is great news, a DLC will be awsome!

Wow, well, I honestly could take or leave the lava caves, I wasn't particularly excited about them, but the lack of heatwave is rather disappointing. I was really hoping that was going to bring more challenge to the overworld. There's been many a thread bemoaning the overworld's lack of challenge once a player has a certain amount of experience, and when I took part in those conversations, it was always to say "wait for the heatwave, that'll do the trick!". Doh. I guess hopefully you guys will use some of this polishing time on the overworld to make it have some long term challenge or interest. *lays heatwave hopes to rest beside mad science hopes*

(Yes the quotes are now out of chronological order. Those with some OCD/Aspurger's/etc. condition who can't get over it look away now :p)

I've been here since the "A little rain must fall" update" and this is all I can say of this game:

Thanks.Thanks for making such as a great game,and not only for that.Thanks a lot for listening to us,the players.

I think this is the only game I've seen in wich the developers hear the community and speaks to them,and I've played a lot of indie games.It feels amazing to know that all the stuff I'm writting in the "suggestions and feedback" subforum is really being read and considered.

You earned yourselves some cookies :D!

*A plate of Pumpkin Cookies with a big note showing the words

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS GAME!

appear on the Klei Don't Starve Team's break room table. Get 'em while they are hot!*

(Previous original post plus)

We've decided not to do the heatwave and the lava cave. We're going to focus on polish for the last couple updates, and then move on to the DLC when the six months is up.

In the end, they just weren't compelling enough to keep the game under active development. We're much more excited by the possibilities that giving the mod community a stable codebase will bring.

While (of course) disappointed, I fully understand and agree. It's better to have a game that runs well with what it's got than a swarm of badly running and/or buggy released items. Focus on making it work well. Quality over qualtity.

As for the remaining time focusing on modding over content release by a team, some will agree, others will not. Same goes for those who see things not released by the "original developers" compared to "community members" for this game. If there is yet even more possible yet not developmentally implemented (animation and sound for example) that modders can do, then I say go for it! Look at another independent game named FTL. Its modders have been on par when it came to come of the things able to be done that the original team (or should I say Duo) did! Give the player creators a chance people; just because it didn't come from Klei doesn't mean it shouldn't be tried. And if you don't like it, you can remove it for crying out loud! And I (respectfully) say some of the things done by modders had me playing FTL long after the last release by "the company"'s stuff was played to its end-of-my-interest.

Involving the "future releases scrapped," while I can hope these caves and season do make it into a future (DLC) release, if your crew gets burnout from all of this, it will show on their work, and we want this work to work well and be fun for all involved, developers included. All I ask is if you truly think it will work in the game (and not an abandoned concept for not working well for example,) that it be considered in a future road-map down the line (if possible.)

Again, thank you so much not only for the game itself, but for taking the time and communicating with your player-base to the degree our feedback literally influenced future releases...even with the monkeys :p

I don't typically like DLC, especially the kind that costs more than the game itself.

I'm sure our feedback will influence even this; don't be all cynical and compare this game to "all other DLC done badly" quite yet. Anyway, if it goes badly, we can't curse Kevin, he's already been cursed with Parenthood! ;)

In these last updates, will the overspawning ice hounds (from the hunting party) bug be fixed? Because it's still in the game, right? ;)

That's the kind of stuff we needed the room to fix! They sure do make for hilarious screenshots, though.

you mean like this one?

Posted Image

Lovely. Yeah that's what I said when I ran in to that. OHHHHH...LOOOOOOOOOVELY!

Okay, maybe it was a longer drown out vowel of another four-lettered word, thinking the game just hated me and it was some awful village setpiece and not a bug (and did you stop and see if there werte more MacTusks or not the first time? I thnk not!)

Merch and DLC! I was really hoping that we were going to see some DLC to keep the game evolving and fresh. As for the slower release schedule, quality over quantity, any day. I'm pleased as punch. Even more pleased than a fruity drink served in a bowl, actually.

But what I want to know is if the extended timeline and DLC will mean the continuation of the backstory release. I'm an absolute sucker for lore, and I love the secret update content about Maxwell. I'm really hoping that we won't lose that with the new update schedule. Does anybody know how this is going to play out?

+1 for this for me too. HUGE Mythology/Lore fan when it comes to a game's story! I really enjoy your release info about the history a lot! I hope even if not a lot of new game content is released, your will continue to release new "mysteries" like their origin/progress stories.

And kudos to your puzzles. They rock!

I just notice that if there's no Lava caves and heatwave, then what's the main use of the Chilled amulet? It's right now just a weaker version of the Ice staff. And you have to take damage to freeze the enemies.

Yeah, this has been nagging to me too. I hope its use will be either adjusted/finalized hopefully with those additions (Heatwave/Lava Caves) in a future DLC or removed if not just for some closure.

So, once again, THANK you everybody involved in DS, and I really appreciate your hard work!

We still have a couple of surprise characters planned. I can’t say more about them right now, because they are supposed to be a surprise.

Hmm, so no new characters in this 6 month period but in the DLC? I can live with that :)Though I'll always go Wickerbottom first!

If DLCs will make the game continues and increase even more fun, yes, i like the idea. Anyway i´ll buy all of it because DS is the best game on steam FOR SURE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OemNp6hgX4

Edit: (edited the edit) it's not clear you have to remove any remaining tags or the who thing goes poof. And embedded video here in this specific thread now no longer works...

Edited by the truthseeker

Personally, I think some DLC is a bad idea. This should just be content, not some random crap that we need to pay for! I still love klei, but this new roadmap kind of surprised me. I hope the new characters come soon tho, after Woodie came, the unreleased characters seem so much more exiting.

Well, I've gotten alot of enjoyment from this game; if they need a little more of my money to carry it on; I will give it.

Though I thought the free updates would continue if sales were high; if it goes on the PS4 then they will skyrocket; wouldn't that justify more free updates?

I don't know the cash flow; this is just ramblings from a madman