Are there walls/defenses?

Most people make makeshift walls with trees, though other objects you can't walk through would work as well. They have to be placed really close to each other for it to work. If you find the thread of people showing their bases off, you'll see plenty of examples of barricades made with trees. As long as you don't go chopping the tree barrier down, any treeguard that happens to reside in that wall of trees won't attack.

There are plans to eventually introduce craftable barriers once monsters have proper pathfinding.

I find that a good fortification built from a wall of chests does the trick. They're short, so you can see over them, and they hold stuff for you. I'd like to see a tree do that... Also they won't block your line-of-sight targeting when you need to hit hounds with a blow dart or spikey stick.

I find that a good fortification built from a wall of chests does the trick. They're short, so you can see over them, and they hold stuff for you. I'd like to see a tree do that... Also they won't block your line-of-sight targeting when you need to hit hounds with a blow dart or spikey stick.

I'd like to try make a chest fort but the wood, oh the wood! D: They brought it down to 3 planks, 18 logs but still... If I needed even just 30 that's 540 logs :(

A fine idea for the time being, but not a real kind of wall, some fences or so would be very handy.

• Developer

Walls will be coming eventually - we just need to work out the details of how to render them seamlessly, and fix up the monster pathfinding. They should also be attackable and destructible by monsters. I think it will be fun to build real defences and see if they hold up to attack.

Impenetrable walls of chests and ... other things are leaving Soon. From the twitch and youtube videos that I have seen, they really are game breaking turtle-bait. All of these 100+ day survival stories make by cold, dead heart sad. The game is supposed to get harder the longer you survive, not easier! :)

That you could make walls out of these things in the first place was kind of a bug, anyway. I mean, how often do real trees grow so close together that you can't walk between them?

Anyway, you have been warned. Time to start thinking about more active defences.

That sounds great, but I hope walls will be implemented at the same time when cover of chests and such goes away. Having a real camp that you can defend and have to keep up would be awesome. On the subject of cover by trees and chests, yeah it is not realistic and a bit cheap, but that is why we need walls all the more:p

Walls will be coming eventually - we just need to work out the details of how to render them seamlessly, and fix up the monster pathfinding. They should also be attackable and destructible by monsters. I think it will be fun to build real defences and see if they hold up to attack.

Impenetrable walls of chests and ... other things are leaving Soon. From the twitch and youtube videos that I have seen, they really are game breaking turtle-bait. All of these 100+ day survival stories make by cold, dead heart sad. The game is supposed to get harder the longer you survive, not easier! :)

That you could make walls out of these things in the first place was kind of a bug, anyway. I mean, how often do real trees grow so close together that you can't walk between them?

Anyway, you have been warned. Time to start thinking about more active defences.

Heh, this makes me glad I use a combination of kiting/counter-attacking and Emergency Pigmen Militia support to survive.

Although the idea of being able to build a wall or fence line, leave a gap or three in it, and then Bee Mine the bejeezus out of said openings has a certain appeal.

On day 130-something right now, and it's not because of barricades. It's because Pig Men are too helpful - they'll fight to the death to defend themselves (and you, if you're nearby), even if you brought all the trouble with you, and all the Pigmen that die defending you end up leaving you nice loot - meat, if you're quick enough to grab it, and now armor-making Pig Skins.

Also, Pigman spawning every single morning is... well... not good. The savvy player will build 2-4 Pig Houses roughly one screen apart, then pick off single (or pairs of) Pig Men for free Meat and Skins. 4 Meat is enough to feed you for 2 days and 2 nights, during which time you can collect 8 pig meat. So 4 spaced out Pig Houses = enough food to feed you forever without Farms or Bushes or anything.

TL;DR: Glad to see unintended Barricades going bye-bye Soon, but Pig Men are the real reason you can survive forever.

Heh, this makes me glad I use a combination of kiting/counter-attacking and Emergency Pigmen Militia support to survive.

Although the idea of being able to build a wall or fence line, leave a gap or three in it, and then Bee Mine the bejeezus out of said openings has a certain appeal.

On day 130-something right now, and it's not because of barricades. It's because Pig Men are too helpful - they'll fight to the death to defend themselves (and you, if you're nearby), even if you brought all the trouble with you, and all the Pigmen that die defending you end up leaving you nice loot - meat, if you're quick enough to grab it, and now armor-making Pig Skins.

Also, Pigman spawning every single morning is... well... not good. The savvy player will build 2-4 Pig Houses roughly one screen apart, then pick off single (or pairs of) Pig Men for free Meat and Skins. 4 Meat is enough to feed you for 2 days and 2 nights, during which time you can collect 8 pig meat. So 4 spaced out Pig Houses = enough food to feed you forever without Farms or Bushes or anything.

TL;DR: Glad to see unintended Barricades going bye-bye Soon, but Pig Men are the real reason you can survive forever.

While it is true that Pigmen make surviving take a little less work, they are hardly the cause of being able to survive forever. The game currently just lacks creatures of the tier required to actually threaten players (and by extension, obliterate pigmen) after they learn about them:

Spiders - Neutral unless you get close/attack them, and even then easy to stun-lock them to death 1v1 or bait their attacks in 1vM
Beefalo - Passive unless attacked, can't be stun-locked but have such a long time between attacks they're rather simple 1v1, limited amount per world
Pigmen - Passive unless attacked, can be stun-locked, can be hired and used for labor/to kill stuff/to kill eachother/to make poop
Werepig - Very fast, very relentless, but only around during full moon nights if a pigman is outside (besides bugs), so rather unlikely to be faced unwillingly.
Tallbird - Neutral unless you get close/steal egg, rather easy to avoid their attack, and very limited and very rare / fixed locations, limited amount per world.
Ent - High damage, high health, slow as can be and can easily be killed with a bit of timing to attack and dodge for half the day, rather rare and can also be calmed down by planting pinecones.
Tentacles - High damage, will stun-hit you twice, but again can be killed without ever being hit with timing, limited amount per world.
Frogs - Might as well not even be able to attack, they're rather easy to kill and don't require much thought.
Bees - Neutral unless attacked, don't even stun you when attacking
Hounds - They prioritize meat over killing things, so dropping a single piece and killing the first hound before more comes will just set up a chain of killing hounds distracted by monster meat.
Fire Hounds - Same as hounds, just have to be sure to not kill them near flammable materials.
Grue - The night monster, can't fight it and it only ever attacks if you're in the dark too long, no real point of mentioning it.

Now, for all the simple ways to not starve:
Berry Bushes - Just setup 20-30 berry bushes in a beefalo area and setup camp there, never have a food issue (+ occasional free morsel and drumstick from gobblers).
(Turbo) Farm Plot - Again in beefalo territory, just have to grab a few seeds per day and have 3 plots (doesn't even really need to be turbo, or have more than 1, with all the manure you'll get) and you're set.
Pigmen - Kill them for food of course, even the 7-pig village with the pig king is rather easy to take on.
Honey Monster - Kill spiders for monster meat and kill bees for honey (or make some bee boxes), while it's not the easiest thing, it works.
Fishing - If you're good at killing spider nests, then this is a boring but easy way to survive.
Birds - Trap some crows, get their feathers, then proceed to sleep dart kill more crows. Rather simple.
Frogger - Kill frogs for frog legs, rather self-explanatory.
Rabbits - Make a nice grass and stick farm at a base with lots of rabbit holes nearby, place traps on top of all the holes, and you're done.
Crock Pot - Pretty much combine any of the above or use them standalone with this and you're good.

All of the above, of course, done without the need of any tree walls or the like.

Honestly, the two least likely things in Don't Starve to kill someone (with a bit of knowledge of the game) currently are: Darkness, and starving.

The game currently just lacks creatures of the tier required to actually threaten players (and by extension, obliterate pigmen) after they learn about them...

Yeah, it's a triple whammy:

1) Most monsters pose little to no threat if you A) have armor on and B) know how to counter while they pause between attacks,

2) pigs make Hunger a non-issue plus the King Pig gives you basically infinite gold, PLUS they help you fight the monsters that already barely hurt you; and lastly...

3) if you don't fare well in combat, you can cheese the game's collision detection to hide behind makeshift barriers to really ensure monsters are almost no threat.

One of our focus areas right now is to make the game harder for high-level players (while not upsetting the early game balance too much).

There's a hotfix coming today that I think you guys will like.

I really hope you guys can find ways to pull that off; I realize it's a tall order and that balance - especially in a game like this - is always perched on a razor's edge. Too hard and people will get turned off and quit; too easy and the veterans will get bored and quit... hitting that sweet spot is no easy task so... good luck. ;)

I have a feeling that I'm about to kiss my tree wall goodbye.

nah i don't thing that they will change the wall thing just yet, i mean unless they are replacing it with something that we can be safe with....i dont know if u use tree as walls like i do, for me it will just be plant tree for good deeds! lol....either way i'm very curious to what this hotfix is...been waiting all day >.<

nah i don't thing that they will change the wall thing just yet, i mean unless they are replacing it with something that we can be safe with....i dont know if u use tree as walls like i do, for me it will just be plant tree for good deeds! lol....either way i'm very curious to what this hotfix is...been waiting all day >.<

They already confirmed that there will be a period of time between when the tree/chest/whatever wall exploit is fixed and when proper walls are introduced. This particular exploit upsets them greatly and they want to get rid of it ASAP.

As they said, it'll make us appreciate the actual walls better if we go for a while without any walls at all. ;)