Sign in to follow this  
Raged_kishin

[Crash] Doesn't start after update

Raged_kishin    10
Nope, didn't work. The game is still requires dwmapi.dll, which is a part of Windows Vista. (And newer versions of Windows)

well i guess they will fix it for us or will xp users not be able to play it anymore

pioter    10

[ATTACH]517[/ATTACH] Kevin, I do not have any of those files except for a log file from my game from yesterday, I'll attach it though.

I hopefully am wrong.

Also some specs:

Windows Xp

SP3

log.txt

Marak    27

No good. Re-installed both of those (VCR and DX) and the same thing is happening: the game won't even attempt to launch. Running the .exe from out of Steam still gives the "missing .dll" error.

Raged_kishin    10
[ATTACH]517[/ATTACH] Kevin, I do not have any of those files except for a log file from my game from yesterday, I'll attach it though.

I hopefully am wrong.

Also some specs:

Windows Xp

SP3

No good. Re-installed both of those (VCR and DX) and the same thing is happening: the game won't even attempt to launch. Running the .exe from out of Steam still gives the "missing .dll" error.

like it was posted in this thread before currently xp user cant play because update made the requirement vista or higher

pioter    10
like it was posted in this thread before currently xp user cant play because update made the requirement vista or higher

Kishin, I am perfectly capable of reading, Kevin asked me a question and I answer.

Sarioya    10

Yeah. Unless launching the game through Steam on XP works around the issue of needing dwmapi.dll somehow, I'd say that's most likely the problem.

ItchyFlea    10
Yeah. Unless launching the game through Steam on XP works around the issue of needing dwmapi.dll somehow, I'd say that's most likely the problem.

Steam is not capable of imposing files from newer versions of Windows over earlier versions.

To the Devs: The game now requires files from Windows Vista or newer. The game is 100% unable to start on Windows XP machines, and therefore cannot give an updated log.txt file. Any log.txt files you receive from players who have Windows XP will be from the previous update when the game did work.

EDIT: This is not meant to sound harsh, but re-reading it makes it seem that way. That isn't my intention.

Edited by ItchyFlea

Kevin    1,005

OK, yeah. It looks like we added a new dependency that has disrupted XP support. We don't have many XP computers laying about in the office for testing. It's over a decade old! :)

We'll take a look at the issue in the morning. Sorry about that, guys.

pioter    10
OK, yeah. It looks like we added a new dependency that has disrupted XP support. We don't have many XP computers laying about in the office for testing. It's over a decade old! :)

It may be a decade old, but I would say that it is the most proven of all Microsoft products. There is a reason why most financial institutions use it.

That being said it is an old system, so I would understand if you dropped support for it, but that decision should have been made prior to saying you support it.

Sarioya    10
Steam is not capable of imposing files from newer versions of Windows over earlier versions.

I meant something more along the lines of a command that disabled whatever it was that required the .dll file, but it apparently didn't anyway, so it's kind of a moot point. :-P

Raged_kishin    10
It may be a decade old, but I would say that it is the most proven of all Microsoft products. There is a reason why most financial institutions use it.

That being said it is an old system, so I would understand if you dropped support for it, but that decision should have been made prior to saying you support it.

They can't really drop it right now if it was already stated that it doesn't support XP from the beginning XP users wouldn't have bought the game

goniil    10

i have this problem too .... before the update .... the window pop up and close then after update noting happend ... it dont even open...

Marak    27

You damn kids and your newfangled versions of that crazy Windows craze! Why, back in my day...

DonFAISAL    10

Bug Submission

Please choose a category

[Crash]

Platform

• Steam

Version Number

last.

Issue title

i have problem with running the game

Steps to reproduce

sorry my English not very good

Describe your issue

hi,

when i run the game from steam that Window show to me and after that Nothing happens !! the game don't run

i tray this
-) Open the folder C: \ Program Files \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ dont_starve \ VCRedist and install vcredist_86x (or other name) (*86x for me but my pc is 64x*).

2 -) Open the folder C: \ Program Files \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ dont_starve \ DXRedist and install DXSETUP.

After doing these two steps run the game again

but still dosent working

Bug Submission

Please choose a category

[Performance]

Platform

• Steam

Version Number

-

Issue title

game crashes on Windows XP

Steps to reproduce

My game doesn't work on windows XP

Describe your issue

I already played the game in my pc and it worked very well, but when i updated the game (11/25 or 26/12 update), it simply doesn't want to start because Windows XP doesn't have a functional dwmapi.dll version.

Please help me.

Thanks for reading.

DawnOfNights    15

Is ok, I had to choose about watching Fairy Tail or playing Dont starve, luckily I dont have to make that decision anymore :p

(though I cant wait to play this, seems hella fun!)

good. I was really sad because I'd heard of this game and bought it, loved it, played it two days then this. I thought I'd messed up somehow. I guess it's just a waiting game now...

Seven7    10

Running Windows 8 Professional right now. I am having a similar issue to those running Windows XP. When I attempt to start the game (steam), It brings the window up, then displays the "dontstarve_steam.exe has stopped working" dialog box. I've attempted to delete and re-install the local content several times, to no avail. Let me know what additional information I can get for you to resolve this issue. I located a log file in the common files, and pasted it below, but I don't know if it's relevant to this issue or not. Thank you.

Additionally, this only occurred after the most recent update.

Starting up

Don't Starve: 69735

Build Date: 2012-11-27_14-48-03

THREAD - started 'GAClient' (6388)

HttpClient::ClientThread::Main()

cGame::InitializeOnMainThread

cDontStarveGame::DoGameSpecificInitialize()

cGame::StartPlaying

LOADING LUA

DoLuaFile data/scripts/main.lua

DoLuaFile loading buffer data/scripts/main.lua

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\main.lua(101,1) running main.lua

LOADING LUA SUCCESS

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\mixer.lua(76,1) Set set_sfx 0.1

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\mixer.lua(76,1) Set set_ambience 0.1

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\mixer.lua(76,1) Set set_music 0.1

Reset() returning

Error creating shader

Error creating shader

Shader(c:\users\jkwan~1.kle\appdata\local\temp\tmpypeevl\font.vs.tmp), Param(MatrixP) Idx(0)

Assert failure 'array_data.mGLIndex != 0xFFFFFFFF' at ..\source\renderlib\OpenGL\HWEffect.cpp(358): Trace follows...

Edited by Seven7

Bavienco    10

Same here. My operating system is Windows 8 and this dialog box shows up:"dontstarve_steam.exe has stopped working". Already tried re-installing but I've got the same issue again and again.

It would be cool if you guys can fix this problem, but I know you also got other issues to fix. :)

JLK    50

The main Windows XP crash should be fixed in revision 69781 which has just been pushed live.