Birds, Bees, and Dogs. Oh My! - Don't Starve Early-Access Beta Update!

JoeW

Am I the only one who actually doesnt like the whole backpack/logsuit/helmet thing?

I dont like the colours aswel, but as someone said before me, its propably just because they are new.

By the way that poster is great. When I get home I am going to print it and put it on my wall!:))

Kill the fire hellhounds for red gems. I think it might by 100% drop chance, 1 from each.

I'm a little miffed that they nerfed honey gathering, the bee boxes seem to fill up with honey at half the rate now.

Well along with a nerf comes a little buff from what I've noticed; Bee boxes used to cap out at 5 honey per, now I've seen up to 6 from them so far.

I was wondering what that distant sawing sound was when I got back to my base, and then a bunch of hounds came and attacked me. Ok, that answered that question.

As I ran around fighting them off though, suddenly a massive conflagration broke out, consuming my 60-tuft grass farm and 10 berry bushes.

...That's going to be hard to replace. :(

Interestingly, the fire in my fire circle went out during the fight, but the flaming ruins of irreplaceable resources gave me enough light to dispatch the hounds. I thought that perhaps one of the hounds had somehow damaged the firepit, allowing flame to escape and so start the conflagration, but reading about these "Fire Hound" things seems the more likely explanation. In the chaos and panic, I couldn't tell you if any of the assailants was redder than the others, but since I panicked and quit the game before the dawn save, I should be able to re-fight the battle. Preferably further from my grass.

Savescumming ftw!!!

I'm experiencing a glitch where every 2 seconds the recipe for bee mine pops up, just a nuisance more than anything.

I have had this also, but with random recipe's.

You close the recipe tab, but it pops out again in a few seconds. If you want to view a different recipe you can't because that one stays in front of any others you try to look at.

I found that restarting the game fixes it. It has happened to me twice now I think, and restarting stopped it both times

I have had this also, but with random recipe's.

You close the recipe tab, but it pops out again in a few seconds. If you want to view a different recipe you can't because that one stays in front of any others you try to look at.

I found that restarting the game fixes it. It has happened to me twice now I think, and restarting stopped it both times

yeah, I had that glitch too with my gold shovel, pretty annoying, but leaving the game and logging in back fixed it for me, and it hasn't happened again till now.

Anybody else's logsuits stop protecting them since the update? Or was this an intended modification?

They're also not taking damage all the time....

Logsuits (and by extension, pigskin helmets) now only partially protect you from damage instead of absorbing it all. You'll get more protection if you wear both a logsuit and a helmet at the same time, but you'll still take at least a tiny bit of damage.

I tried to fight some spiders with a log suit and a spear and found that I got stun-locked so badly I could barely fight them at all and died in a very frustrating way because I was used to being able to take on spiders from the previous patch.

With this change to combat how are you supposed to take on the tougher enemies like dogs and what not?

I like that they added additional challenge by making armor not completely negate damage, but the hit recovery animation is way too long or should just be removed altogether if you have armor on.

Kill the fire hellhounds for red gems. I think it might by 100% drop chance, 1 from each.

I'm a little miffed that they nerfed honey gathering, the bee boxes seem to fill up with honey at half the rate now.

you have to have flowers in the area the more flowers the faster the honey is made

I tried to fight some spiders with a log suit and a spear and found that I got stun-locked so badly I could barely fight them at all and died in a very frustrating way because I was used to being able to take on spiders from the previous patch.

With this change to combat how are you supposed to take on the tougher enemies like dogs and what not?

I like that they added additional challenge by making armor not completely negate damage, but the hit recovery animation is way too long or should just be removed altogether if you have armor on.

Could not possibly agree more. I had a similar issue when I went to go get some pigskins to make a pig house. Boy I was really pissed.

So hey, how about some feedback? Since we're (theoretically) Beta Testers and all...

1) Hounds. Liking this idea. I especially like that they don't just show up at night... they show up when they want to, and you better have your Log Suit, Spear, and Pigmen buddies around for it. Adds a great new element of unpredictability and danger to what can become a stale routine when you have your food sources exceeding your hunger drain.

Suggestions: make them come more often. Right now it's about once every 3-5 days, and I've only seen 1 Fire Hound in about 3 weeks. By the 100 day mark, maybe they should be coming more often in small-ish packs? This would allow the danger to keep pace with your ability to have Crockpot Food, access to Honey, and the ability to farm Tentacle Spike weapons.

2) Inventory change and new "Hotbar". At first I was against it, but after playing for a couple hours, I kinda like it. Strikes a nice balance between "look at all the stuff I can haul!" and "oh crap, the hounds are coming and I have my backpack instead of my Log Suit and Spear...". Yes, you can game the system a bit by keeping the backpack on your cursor and just dropping it all the time when you need to fight, but even that is (somewhat) countered by the fact that it's annoying and tedious to do.

I like the new, longer inventory hotbar. Having everything on the 1-9 keys is very handy. Not having to hit a button to pop half your inventory in and out is a lot more intuitive and it's now much, much less of a hassle to see everything you're carrying at a glance.

Suggestions: Maybe add little numbers in the corner of each Hotbar slot? 1-2-3-4 are pretty easy to keep straight, but trying to differentiate between, say, slots 6 and 7 can be very iffy, especially in the heat of battle. A way to lock/unlock and/or move the Backpack window would be great, as well. Personally, I don't care for the spot it's in and would like to be able to drag it around a bit.

3) Random other bits: haven't played with the Blowdarts or Bee Mines much yet, so I'll hold off on those. The Placeholder Description ("It's a... thing") on the Hounds and their Teeth is a bit disappointing, but maybe that was just an oversight (or case of writer's block)? Craftable Amulets are a great addition for those characters who don't have access to a Magnificent Beard and are getting unlucky with graves. And to nit-pick, I think the phrase you were looking for in regards to the "Foot-to-ball Helmet" is "past time". "Baseball is America's past time"... not "Baseball is America's pass time". Also, sleeping Spiders! How can they be so adorable and yet so hideous when you light them on fire to wake them up!?

But anyway, now I'm just rambling. Overall, I'm having an absolutely silly amount of fun with this game/beta, it's an absolute STEAL at $8, I have only minor complaints with it, and I'm eagerly looking forward to what Kevin and co. add next. Kudos to the whole team on an addictive little Indie hit!

I rather like the changes to the armor, it makes it less of a 'tank all the hits of 10 spiders because who cares, I have a logsuit' to actually requiring some strategy and avoiding being stun-locked.

definitly not 100% cuz i killed like 3 of them and didn't get any, i still think its random drops

Hi,

Don't starve is broken ATM.

Everyone knows how easy berry farming is, so you can't starve.

Werepigs are not a threat at all if you care about theyr house positioning on the map.

Spiders are easy to defeat using kitting.

For Tree guards and Tentacles, once you master "hit n retreat" move, no probs.

Here comes the Hounds.

Place yourself in a place with no inflamable things around (you have 30 sec once you heard noises).

Drop a stack of 10 meats (any type) on floor. Kill the hounds as they rush the meat (they got 3 hp, just like pigs).

You wont even be damaged, and can use an axe to get em down.

Hounds are not a threat at all.

Im day 500+ and sadly i've stop playing because theyr is no more challenge right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

Don't starve is broken ATM.

Everyone knows how easy berry farming is, so you can't starve.

Werepigs are not a threat at all if you care about theyr house positioning on the map.

Spiders are easy to defeat using kitting.

For Tree guards and Tentacles, once you master "hit n retreat" move, no probs.

Here comes the Hounds.

Place yourself in a place with no inflamable things around (you have 30 sec once you heard noises).

Drop a stack of 10 meats (any type) on floor. Kill the hounds as they rush the meat (they got 3 hp, just like pigs).

You wont even be damaged, and can use an axe to get em down.

Hounds are not a threat at all.

Im day 500+ and sadly i've stop playing because theyr is no more challenge right now.