Birds, Bees, and Dogs. Oh My! - Don't Starve Early-Access Beta Update!

JoeW

Love the update. Ran into my first hounds probably 2 nights after I updated...soooo day 12. Was heckling some spiders at the time, then all of a sudden two dogs appear. Not too bad, but thankfully because I was already in combat mode.

Noticed two things though. One, sounds appear through chests now? Manure makes its fly smell and bees are noisy in my other chest.

Also, Some effects seem a bit more unstable now - fire effects don't seem to pop up when I set the spider den on fire, and the Graveyard mist went crazy too.

Oh yeah and Tallbirds hate you now forever. I like that.

Third night, just after sunset ended, two hounds came for me. I was already safely inside Fort Chest-a-Lot, but they tried their darndest to reach me, constantly running up against my wall of chests. Good on them. I waited until morning and finished them off with little trouble. I imagine once I have the blowdarts created it will make the matter much simpler for me (so long as I'm inside my fort that is...).

No sign of any fire hound yet.

What are the pig skins and hound teeth for? Future updates i suppose.

Anyway, long time reader/player, first time poster here. I was so upset that the tallbirds killed me that I had to post something!

I had an effigy up, so I was on the way to get my stuff (corpse run) when I got aggro'd by another tall freakin bird!!!

You can actually starve running from the Tallbirds!

Edit: Was on day 61.

Edited by Rusko
Forgot to say was on day 61

What are the pig skins and hound teeth for? Future updates i suppose.

Pig skins are now needed for pig houses, presumably to stop people who haven't even encountered pigs yet from making their own village and hound teeth are required for the dapper vest~

P.S those egg hoarders are deadly!

the dogs have been no match for me and my army i have destroyed them and killed their master and now they obey me muhahahahahahahahahahah (note I have trapped them in a tree pen and they can not get out it seems as long as they aren't killed no more will show up I'm on my 30th day now with no dogs showing up since day 10)

Pig skins are now needed for pig houses, presumably to stop people who haven't even encountered pigs yet from making their own village and hound teeth are required for the dapper vest~

P.S those egg hoarders are deadly!

TYVM! I guess I hadn't realized the changes to the stuff I'm used to making.

Noticed also that it only takes 4 grass to make a rope instead of 6!

For those curious, these are all the crafting cost changes I've noticed.

Crafting:

Rope - From 6 to 4 grass

Plank - From 6 to 4 logs

Pig House - From 8 planks, 7 rocks to 4 planks, 3 cut stone, 4 pig skin

Bug Net - From 5 web to 2 web

Bee box - From 4 (or 6?) planks to 2, honey is replaced with 4 bees

Chest - From 4 planks to 3

Probably missed a few, but that's what I've noticed being changed.