Sign in to follow this  
Olia

Steam: multiple saves, female starter character

Olia    10

dear support,

my friend gifted me a copy of Don't Starve on Steam, and i like it very much.

EDIT: people have convinced me that dying is part of the charm. still, i really dislike dying, so i would like to request an "easy mode" where you get some free ressurections.

also, a minor issue: i would really love to play as a character with the same gender as me, even at the start. i never play as a male character (only exception: bastion) and to be honest, i would have never bought this game myself because it has no female starting character.

thank you very much for your attention.

Edited by Olia

mobius187    29

Now I'm not with Klei, but I still wanted to comment on this thread. I hope you don't mind. :)

my friend gifted me a copy of Don't Starve on Steam, and i like it very much.

What a nice friend you have.

unfortunately, i find myself to be slightly frustrating with the game because:

- it lacks multiple save-points

- and most of all, it lacks the "load game" option

For me multiple saves usually equals one thing... cheating. But hey, maybe it's just me. However for me whenever I'm using an older save it's because I screwed up and I doidn't want to deal with the consequences. I personally like the fact that there is only one save slot because it forces us to deal with our mistakes, and learn from them. Have I died? Yes. Did I learn from it? Certainly! In fact, I saved myself from a very similar fate during my next game.

Also, when you have only one game you don't need to load games. You play, finish playing, quit, and when you want to play again you load up your save from the main menu.

Now the only change I would suggest along these lines... that each character should be able to start a new map and save their own progress. I think this would be cool in the event I wanted to try another character without having to kill off my current one.

it makes me very sad to start all over again when i've once again died, and having to collect everything anew.

the game would be a lot more fun if i could just revive at the previous day, for example.

Well, to each their own. I like permadeath... it gives life that extra thrill. Of course if you don't want to die there are options to help prevent that:

1) Meat Effigy - Wilson can craft a meat effigy that, when he dies, resurrects him in its place. It basically allows you to cheat death, and you can create as many as you like... so long as you have the beard shavings for them.

2) Tent - Okay, so you're not playing as Wilson? That's fine. Craft a tent, switch to Wilson, grow his beard over a few days, shave, craft a Meat Effigy, then use the tent again to switch back to your old character. Now the Meat Effigies will resurrect you.

3) Amulet - Dig up from graves, or craft, this rare item. Having it in your inventory on death will allow you to respawn, sacrificing the amulet.

I hope that helps.

or if this is not possible, then starting over with for example 50% of your stock after you have died.

I play Minecraft in normal mode. I've died... oh... 8 times? This is on a new map/build which I've only had for a year. Respawning with only losing all your equipped gear seems harsh, but after a while it's like "Meh".

also, a minor issue: i would really love to play as a character with the same gender as me, even at the start. i never play as a male character (only exception: bastion) and to be honest, i would have never bought this game myself because it has no female starting character.

I'm not sure how much experience is required to unlock Willow... but I agree. Female players who want to play a female character should have that option. On the flip side, after Wilson died on me I've been playing as Wendy... GIRL POWER! :p

I would perhaps like to see a combination of choosing your skin and your ability separately.

Some women DO grow beards IRL, so just saying, you could let them grow beards in game exactly the same. Would be a little comical, even.

At the very least, some sort of character that has the same ability for each gender.

I would feel more comfortable playing female though. All the time.

Speaking of which, is it just me, or does this site SEEMINGLY have a higher average ratio of female players than usual?

mobius187    29
I would perhaps like to see a combination of choosing your skin and your ability separately.

I like the idea of the character being unique. It doesn't bother me that I need to play Wendy to have Abigail, or Willow to have her pyromania. The invention system is fairly equalized between all the characters right now, with the only exception being the Meat Effigy, and to be honest, I'm sure that's on purpose. Wilson is the proverbial "favorite son" of Don't Starve and the character you start off playing, so of course he gets a perk that allows him to escape permadeath, unlike the characters that follow him.

It's like... training wheels. Once you've mastered surviving with Wilson you don't need Meat Effigy.

Some women DO grow beards IRL, so just saying, you could let them grow beards in game exactly the same. Would be a little comical, even.

Well it's not really an issue. Amulets allow any character to be resurrected and no beard hair is required. I'm not sure, but Kevin mentioned the amulets will also be craftable (outside of finding them in graves), only harder to craft than the standard Meat Effigy. Again, I'm sure it's a "difficulty level" aspect associated with characters who are unlocked after Wilson.

At the very least, some sort of character that has the same ability for each gender.

So Wilson/Wilsonia? I just prefer having access to two characters, one of each gender, from the very beginning and letting the player choose which one he wants. Now I can see what you mean by wanting to level-set the characters... but I'm just not sure. Meat Effigy is so... Meat Effigy.

I would feel more comfortable playing female though. All the time.

Back when I played Guild Wars I had male and female characters, but I usually preferred playing my female ranger (whose Chinese name escapes me...) because I made her petite/short and gave her the largest bow in the entire game... it was taller than her. When my friends once asked me why I kept playing as her and I replied, "Look, because of the camera view I have to stare at my character's ass for like about 1-2 hours every raid... why would I want to stare at a guy's ass for that long?" :p

Speaking of which, is it just me, or does this site SEEMINGLY have a higher average ratio of female players than usual?

Not sure. I don't usually keep track and I never like to guess...

Joyousterror    29
I would perhaps like to see a combination of choosing your skin and your ability separately. Some women DO grow beards IRL, so just saying, you could let them grow beards in game exactly the same. Would be a little comical, even.

Hahah. They did seem keen on the circus idea and "The bearded lady" is a very popular act. I think Wendy/Wilson should be the first two characters you get to play as. With more and more characters to be unlocked in the future I hope they will do this.

I like the idea of the character being unique. It doesn't bother me that I need to play Wendy to have Abigail, or Willow to have her pyromania. The invention system is fairly equalized between all the characters right now, with the only exception being the Meat Effigy, and to be honest, I'm sure that's on purpose. Wilson is the proverbial "favorite son" of Don't Starve and the character you start off playing, so of course he gets a perk that allows him to escape permadeath, unlike the characters that follow him.

Yes, I agree with that. That's a fine thing with me. I was just stating a possibility, I'd rather prefer the two people per "class" thing.

It's like... training wheels. Once you've mastered surviving with Wilson you don't need Meat Effigy.

That makes sense to me.

Well it's not really an issue. Amulets allow any character to be resurrected and no beard hair is required. I'm not sure, but Kevin mentioned the amulets will also be craftable (outside of finding them in graves), only harder to craft than the standard Meat Effigy. Again, I'm sure it's a "difficulty level" aspect associated with characters who are unlocked after Wilson.

Yes, but I'm just saying this as a female second to Wilson.

So Wilson/Wilsonia? I just prefer having access to two characters, one of each gender, from the very beginning and letting the player choose which one he wants. Now I can see what you mean by wanting to level-set the characters... but I'm just not sure. Meat Effigy is so... Meat Effigy.

Yeah, I mean whichever way works fine. I still consider the beard a bit of a perk though.

Back when I played Guild Wars I had male and female characters, but I usually preferred playing my female ranger (whose Chinese name escapes me...) because I made her petite/short and gave her the largest bow in the entire game... it was taller than her. When my friends once asked me why I kept playing as her and I replied, "Look, because of the camera view I have to stare at my character's ass for like about 1-2 hours every raid... why would I want to stare at a guy's ass for that long?" :p

Ah, yeah, that could be one reason as to why someone would wanna play female, heh. I'm a trans woman, so I have my own personal issues with being considered male vs. female.

Of course, this does nothing for those who are neither male nor female, but I suppose we have to start somewhere. Perhaps we could have some gender neutral characters? Those could definitely be interesting enough.

I would like to have multiple saves for the simple reason of starting a new game without ending the previews one!

I don't mind not be able to load the game from the previewest safe save (cheating the surviving days), but I do mind not be able to start a new game without losing the progress of the old one.

Olia    10

i read everything, but my head spins... so, just responding to the main thing:

o__o i do want to cheat with survival days. reason: i'm not getting past day 8 for 2 irl days now.

so i havent unlocked anything you people discussed yet >_<

Well, I find that if you have trouble surviving you should play a little more conservatively. Once you got a strong base you can better afford to take risks.

As far as saves go, I think it should be a per-user basis. I like the looming threat of complete annihilation.

Olia    10

SUGGESTION: in capitals because it's such an awesome idea. how about giving people 5 free rebirths per char? you can chose yourself whether to use them or not and once they are gone, they are gone. it allows for some learning curve without immediate penalization.

@Luna i think i've seen your name before. domo? EE? mabi?

Edited by Olia
._. poking a person

mobius187    29
Yeah, I mean whichever way works fine. I still consider the beard a bit of a perk though.

Well yes, insomuch as the beard allows Wilson to craft the Meat Effigy, which no one else can craft because they lack beards. Here's a thought... why not have every other character start the game with an Amulet near them on the ground? Then you get at least one free "retunr to life" if you're wearing it. From that point you could simply try to research and craft more Amulets (200 RP right now to research it, and it requires a new resource... the ruby, but I think that's just more rare than gold and probably inside boulders).

Of course, this does nothing for those who are neither male nor female, but I suppose we have to start somewhere. Perhaps we could have some gender neutral characters? Those could definitely be interesting enough.

Well I don't see why every character has to be male or female. Maybe a new character could have no gender... maybe a homunculus or golem of some kind? I'm generally against adding more magic elements to the game (I'm pro-science!), but that would provide an option here. Or maybe a steam-powered automoton (i.e. robot)... and he eats wood and other flammable objects to stay alive. Okay, going a bit off-topic here.

I would like to have multiple saves for the simple reason of starting a new game without ending the previews one! I don't mind not be able to load the game from the previewest safe save (cheating the surviving days), but I do mind not be able to start a new game without losing the progress of the old one.

Well you're free to ask, but as for me I prefer having one saved game per character. If I'm playing Wendy and I screw up, then I'll die and learn from it. Maybe that will even give me to impetus to start a new character, as it did when I died playing as Wilson. When Wendy dies I won't cry, I'll try another character... Wolfgang or maybe the new secret female character (when she is unlockable).

For me I enjoy the thrill of knowing if I should die then that's it. I've played Minecraft and died without real consequences and Sooner or later death becomes meaningless. There's no thrill. No fear. And to be really honest, once you get a handle on the game you shouldn't have too many worries. If you do, I suggest wearing a log suit and football cap while carrying a spear at all times. Then you'll survive any encounter (except suicidal ones on your own part). ;)

o__o i do want to cheat with survival days. reason: i'm not getting past day 8 for 2 irl days now.

so i havent unlocked anything you people discussed yet >_<

Really? You should ask for advice. I'm currently playing as Wendy and I've almost reached Day 200. What problems are you having? Let me give you some basic advice to start off: When you start the game you want to immediately begin harvest any grass and saplings around you, as well as picking up any flint on the ground. As you wander along the island collecting these resources (move from resource to resource) you'll want to keep an eye out for carrots and berry bushes. If you spot them grab and eat them if you're hungry. Don't bother saving food unless you aren't hungry at that time and always eat when you're hungry enough (i.e. stomach below 80).

Once you hear a "ding" you'll want to check your invention tab for Tools and craft an axe. Equip it (or it should do so automatically) and begin chopping down trees. I suggest chopping down large trees, but don't be too picky (only avoid the small or decayed trees, as they're pretty worthless). You should be getting 2-3 logs per tree, and while you can pick-up pine cones don't bother replanting them, just keep them. Once you have 10 or so logs you should move on to collecting stone. Check your map and see whether there are any white boulders on your map, not to be confused with spider nests. If you spotted them, great, craft a pick axe and mine the boulder. This will give you stone, flint and maybe gold. What you really want is the stone (for now).

If sunset is approaching you'll want to create a log fire. However keep in mind that you shouldn't camp near spider nests and you should only set down the fire as sunset ends (there are three time phases in the game, day, sunset, and night). You're safe during sunset, but keep in mind you need to place the camp fire before it starts, so don't wait to the last second or you may find yourself in the dark. Then simply feed the fire. Use pine cones, grass, and wood (in that order). You will see the fire's flame grow from small to large... you should keep it at this second size all night to be safe.

Also, use this time to craft a torch (but make sure you're holding something in your hands when you do this, or you'll automatically equip the torch and start using it up). A torch is a lifesaving tool in the event your fire ever goes out, as it will be too dark to see anything without one and you'll die Soon after due to the Grue.

On a side note, if you have time during the first day, keep an eye out for rabbits. If you spot one try and determine which hole it came from and try circling around it. If you can cut it off from its hole (i.e. stand on it) then attack the rabbit with your axe... it will screech and run for its hole, but so long as it was far enough away you'll get a chance to kill it for a meat morsel. It only takes 4 meat morself, cooked over a fire, to fill your stomach. In fact, always cook food over a fire before eating it, as this makes it taste better and it satiates more of your hunger.

I hope that helps.

As far as saves go, I think it should be a per-user basis. I like the looming threat of complete annihilation.

Yup.

SUGGESTION: in capitals because it's such an awesome idea. how about giving people 5 free rebirths per char? you can chose yourself whether to use them or not and once they are gone, they are gone. it allows for some learning curve without immediate penalization.

I don't think we need resurrections... Wilson has his meat effigy and everyone else has amulets. Other than that, I enjoy the thrill of surviving and dealing with consequences.

Well you're free to ask, but as for me I prefer having one saved game per character.

You know that you can change character once you build a tend right? doesn't that mess with your saving request?

or I'm missing something here?

Still don't get why multiple saves are an issue, Even Plant's Vs Zombies have multiple-saves aka profiles, I use one profile, my wife uses another and my dauther use's another one, and the game only cost me 3$, is a basic feacture, probably not priortized but, well hope release have it

mobius187    29
You know that you can change character once you build a tend right? doesn't that mess with your saving request? or I'm missing something here?

No, you can certainly do that using the tent. But purests prefer to start from Day 1 with new characters for the real experience.

Still don't get why multiple saves are an issue, Even Plant's Vs Zombies have multiple-saves aka profiles, I use one profile, my wife uses another and my dauther use's another one, and the game only cost me 3$, is a basic feacture, probably not priortized but, well hope release have it

For me I would only want a save for each character. That way I could play as Wilson, and then next game start off using Willow from Day 1. If I later miss Wilson I could go into his save and continue where I last left off. If Wilson dies, he dies.

Note, I'm playing with a single save game right now and it's not a serious issue for me. I could go either way, but I wouldn't need multiple saves for the same character/map.

GenHavok    10

I like the idea of multiple saves,but only if you get 1 save per character type.That way each of the 3 characters get their own save file.Would also like to toss in their being able to import/export generated worlds or even have generated world seeds. That way if you want the same world as your friend you can.

Well I don't see why every character has to be male or female. Maybe a new character could have no gender... maybe a homunculus or golem of some kind? I'm generally against adding more magic elements to the game (I'm pro-science!), but that would provide an option here. Or maybe a steam-powered automoton (i.e. robot)... and he eats wood and other flammable objects to stay alive. Okay, going a bit off-topic here.

Hm, I think a robot might actually fit really well into the theme of the game. In fact, a steam powered robot could be very fun. Bonuses being that it only needs wood to not go hungry. The downside is that when you hit zero hunger, there is no health loss, you just shut off and die (or if you want to be REALLY mean just shut off, and leave the character until they die). Actually, I think I'll visit this idea on a separate thread, so yeah.

@Luna i think i've seen your name before. domo? EE? mabi?

I'm not in favor of any rebirths at the very beginning, I think it gives to much to brand new players.

Also, I'm a moderator at the Terraria Online forums (Doctor G33K), and in a lot of other places. None of those three though.

Female characters are great in games , for one I only play as wilson for the sole reason that Its the only character I have - sinse Wendy is so similar to me IRL (I'm haunted by ghosts) I feel like playing as her is fun. Though her perk of ghosts really doesn't do that much , wolfgang will probably be my favoruite because he has higher stat stuff - so I can eat and be safe for 2 days...

mobius187    29
...Wendy is so similar to me IRL (I'm haunted by ghosts) I feel like playing as her is fun. Though her perk of ghosts really doesn't do that much...

My main complaint is why does Abigail have to spawn right on top of where Wendy is standing? I mean it would be fine if she didn't hurt Wendy when she touches her, but she does... so why not spawn her off to the side or something? Every time I'm like, "Goddammit! Abigail!". :rolleyes: