June 25th Preview Discussion

• Developer

Hey everyone! Once again, we are testing the as-of-yet-unnamed next update for Don't Starve. If you are feeling up to the challenge, we would really appreciate you checking it out, and helping us squash all of the bugs that we can before we release it to the world.

This is completely optional. If you do choose to try the beta branch, it will not interfere with your existing save files, because the beta branch uses a different naming convention. You can switch between the branches at any time, although keep in mind that we will be shutting down the beta branch when the update goes live.

When you are playing the beta branch, keep your eyes open for bugs. If you find anything strange, please report it in this sub-forum. Please don't report it in the normal bug forum, because that will get confusing. Also, you should probably keep all discussion of the upcoming features to this forum, so that you don't spoil anything for people who choose to wait for the actual update.

Instructions for switching branches:

[*]Right click on Don't Starve in your steam library

[*]Go to the betas tab

[*]Select "publicpreview" to play the current testing branch. There is no password. If you don't see that branch listed, it means that we aren't currently running a public test.

[*]To get back to the normal version, select "NONE" - this will happen automatically for you when we shut down the preview

(You may need to restart steam for your changes to take effect.)

Changelist 80240:

[*]New character powers! Each of the unlockable characters has been retooled and given more dramatic special powers: Character Powers Discussion Thread

[*]Some artwork and sounds are missing still for the preview.

[*]Woodie, a whole new character! This lumberjack and his trusty axe Lucy are ready to level some forests. But beware his dark secret...

[*]Some artwork and sounds are missing still for the preview.

[*]Splumonkeys are now lurking in the caves. Don't let their curiosity get the better of you!

[*]Monkey Barrel artwork is incomplete for the preview.

[*]A gemology tab has appeared!

[*]The red amulet, in addition to its previous resurrection duties, will now slowly convert hunger to health.

[*]A blue amulet can now be crafted, with many chilling side effects.

[*]Purple gems can be crafted into a powerful Telelocator staff. We are not responsible for missing beefalo.

[*]Pengulls will occasionally spew forth from the ocean in winter. Carefully observe their breeding habits!

[*]New mod configuration screen allows you to manage your mods with ease.

Lots of breaking changes for modders, take note!

[*]In-game mod management and mod info! Now all mods require a modinfo.lua which has lots of cool/important information in it. This will be shown to everyone who installs the mod, and also helps the game know if the mod is out-of-date or has been updated. See one of the sample mods for an example.

[*]Atlases! All .tex files need to have an accompanying atlas definition in the form of an .xml. This will primarily affect inventory images as well. In many cases, where just a texture was specified (or automatic!) the atlas must now also be specified. (See the updated sampleprefab to see how inventory images are handled.)

[*]UI elements need to have their atlases specified as well. (See sample in linked thread)

[*]Recipes need to have their atlases specified as well. (See sample in linked thread)

[*]inventoryimages path has changed to images/inventoryimages, so all mods with resources and recipes will need to shuffle their assets around.

[*]Changed the way modmain is loaded during worldgen, so that it's easier to "inject" presets and other tweaks to the gen process. (See sample in linked thread)

[*]Detailed discussion and help with issues in the preview for modders will take place here: Mod upgrade discussion

Edited by Ipsquiggle

Guys, try to chop down a lot of trees fast to see Woodie's transformation!

- - - Updated - - -

hes telling the truth! XD this is amazing! WEREBEAVER!

I NEED tO SEE

Im on my laptop that can't run anything so I cant get the beta :wilson_cry:

• Developer

Mine won't work, the game keeps crashing D:

Hit "backspace" in the main menu and make sure you've got the right build (80240). If that's correct, copy My Documents/klei/donotstarve/log.txt and paste it here.Is it crashing right when the game starts up? Or when you do something?

You do realize on the main menu there is a "Cheats" button which you can use to unlock Woodie, right?

I know. But it's nice to get it out of the way so I don't need to do another world when the update is live. I can just transfer my profile over to the official build.