Sign in to follow this  
loveminbet

Dynamic events & npcs

loveminbet    10

The title pretty much explains everything.

When i start a new playthrough of don't starve i find myself following the same strategies and doing the same things (which is fun most of the time). i feel the game needs some sort of dynamic events to keep the player on edge and to mix things up a bit. That way, in each playthrough, players can experience unique things.

Also, have you guys thought about adding in npcs? I feel the game would benefit from 'dark souls' type npcs, as both the games have the same sense of mystery and hesitation - some npcs would be helpful, some would be evil, and some would be a bit amibiguous. I think that would be a nice way to add lore and story to the game

mobius187    29
When i start a new playthrough of don't starve i find myself following the same strategies and doing the same things (which is fun most of the time). i feel the game needs some sort of dynamic events to keep the player on edge and to mix things up a bit. That way, in each playthrough, players can experience unique things.

I've mentioned this as well in other threads. Let me see... some of the ideas that came out of this were: weather (especially fog, thunderstorms, and hurricanes), spider migrations (tier-3 spider nests spawn spiders that travel far across the map and create new spider nests), seasons (especially winter/blizzards), earthquakes, and a "blood moon" event (i.e. Terraria).

In reference to the fog, ghosts would rise from every grave and move around the area attacking the living.

Also, have you guys thought about adding in npcs? I feel the game would benefit from 'dark souls' type npcs, as both the games have the same sense of mystery and hesitation - some npcs would be helpful, some would be evil, and some would be a bit amibiguous. I think that would be a nice way to add lore and story to the game

Not sure if I want NPCs... I prefer my solitude and NPCs would make the world more "populated". Besides you already have NPCs, the pig men and pig king. And let's not forget Abigail... she may not be much of a talker, but she's a hell of a listener. :)

mobius187    29
Well, we kind of have the beginning of this already with were-pigs.

Yes, but in Terraria the zombies that spawn at night become extra strong and can break open doors. Maybe during a rare "blood moon" event something like that could occur. Not necessarily zombies, but another strange creature could spawn on only those nights and harass the player.

I think the key is to add something that doesn't disrupt getting a camp started up. I don't want to be hit with something that tries to kill/rob me when I'm worried about getting everything together, having enough food, getting enough wood, etc. IMO the dangers should scale as you get a camp established and resources more secured.

I think variety is what we're lacking here. There are currently few ways to get some resources, which means lots of doing the exact same thing over and over. Right now we have a lot of food options: Fishing, eggs, berries, crops. But we only get rocks by mining, wood by chopping it, and grass by harvesting it. I have no idea how this could be changed to cut down on the grind feeling in the beginning of the game.

Yes, but in Terraria the zombies that spawn at night become extra strong and can break open doors. Maybe during a rare "blood moon" event something like that could occur. Not necessarily zombies, but another strange creature could spawn on only those nights and harass the player.

True, but this game demands a lot of upfront set up before you're secure enough to even think about any kind of combat. Being bushwhacked on day 4 or 5 when I'm starting to build a farm would just piss me off.

Edited by Riddling Sphinx
more stuff

Joyousterror    29
The title pretty much explains everything.

When i start a new playthrough of don't starve i find myself following the same strategies and doing the same things (which is fun most of the time).

Well it is very beta. You won't find yourself struggling too bad out there as is. Dynamic events seem like a definite great addition but, it really depends on what it is. They have great content now but the generation of the map is so small it will only take 1-2 days to find what you need for your strat. I think having dynamic events would be a huge bonus and add that "luck" factor in that makes the game so different every play-through.

I like that idea. They would have to put those on a 10+ day restriction so you don't die your first 10 days. It's a cool idea to have more dynamic events the more days you survive.

501105    20

I think that what the game most needs is something dynamic. That can be done with events like disasters and extra dangerous monsters coming out. Seasons and weather are also populair ideas and would make most days unique.

NPC`s I am a bit skitish about. Part of the charm of the game is you as the sole human in one very strange world.

Pyrrhus    10

I would love to see somewhere down the line the addition of a nomadic group of semi-intelligent life. Not exactly human, but close to it in brainpower (much like the testificates in minecraft). For example, this group could pick berries, cut down trees, and do most of what you can do. When this tribe comes to your area, you have two choices for the most part. First off, you can decide to take your possesions and move away, or on the contrary you can choose to stay and fight for resources. Until eventually you kill them all or they move away (Another cool aspect would be performing raids on the enemy village). I feel that this would add an element of surprise and difficulty in the game without obscuring the idea of only one human in the game.

Edited by Pyrrhus

mobius187    29
I would love to see somewhere down the line the addition of a nomadic group of semi-intelligent life. Not exactly human, but close to it in brainpower (much like the testificates in minecraft).

Well there will be Munkies... who oppose the pig men. They're in the works.

Also about the events, I would suggest that random events should only occur after the first 30+ days have passed and after one has triggered there is a lull during which no events will occur for a number of days.