Ask A Pro- The Older Players Answer The New Comers

This thread was originally started by LadyD, but do to a forum bug the first posts got lost.

I need a help with spawning a Treeguard. Ever since Strange New Powers update I have seen none of them and usually I get them fairly easily. I have chopped down a lot trees...

nSBwQwe.jpg

Is there any way that would make him spawn easier?

I need a help with spawning a Treeguard. Ever since Strange New Powers update I have seen none of them and usually I get them fairly easily. I have chopped down a lot trees...

Posted Image

There really is no way treeguards spawn more frequently. It does seem that when you're in a dense forest with pigmen chopping trees the chance is higher, however the overall percentage stays the same. Also, there is a small chance there is a setpiece in your world which has multiple treeguards. If this setpiece is in your world the overall spawn rate will be lower than usual/none will spawn at all. Overall it is a matter of luck, or lack thereof :(

Posted Image

The only thing you can do is set them to More or Lots when you start a new world. That's what I've done with my current world and I always seem to get two large ones when I'm not even trying.

Here are two things I've not been able to figure out.1). What does the Ice Hound do? Does your temp drop after killing one or is it just an aesthetic difference? (Excluding the blue gem drop.)2). What does the Night Light do? It's expensive to make, expensive to fuel, and drains your sanity. Essentially, it has no use or upsides to it. (And before you say you can use it for going insane, there are much cheaper and better methods to doing that.)

Here are two things I've not been able to figure out.1). What does the Ice Hound do? Does your temp drop after killing one or is it just an aesthetic difference? (Excluding the blue gem drop.)2). What does the Night Light do? It's expensive to make, expensive to fuel, and drains your sanity. Essentially, it has no use or upsides to it. (And before you say you can use it for going insane, there are much cheaper and better methods to doing that.)

1)It is pretty much a slightly more damaging hound with 100hp instead of 150. It also has a higher tooth droprate and it of course drops the blue gem!2)It's pretty much an alternative fire source, that is not worth building at all. Should you have no resources but nightmare fuel then you can use it to have some light source, but chances are if you can make one you already know how to take care of your fire ;) Do not bother making it unless you want to fancy up your base is the advice

The only thing you can do is set them to More or Lots when you start a new world. That's what I've done with my current world and I always seem to get two large ones when I'm not even trying.

sounds a good idea =)

There really is no way treeguards spawn more frequently. It does seem that when you're in a dense forest with pigmen chopping trees the chance is higher, however the overall percentage stays the same. Also, there is a small chance there is a setpiece in your world which has multiple treeguards. If this setpiece is in your world the overall spawn rate will be lower than usual/none will spawn at all. Overall it is a matter of luck, or lack thereof :(

Well, I'm playing Adventure Mode right now, and I haven't found any Pigs yet (except for Guardian Pigs). Hopefully the set piece you mentioned doesn't generate in Adventure Mode. I just want to prototype as many things as possible so I don't have to worry about it in later, harder chapters.

Well, I'm playing Adventure Mode right now, and I haven't found any Pigs yet (except for Guardian Pigs). Hopefully the set piece you mentioned doesn't generate in Adventure Mode. I just want to prototype as many things as possible so I don't have to worry about it in later, harder chapters.

Well, it *can* appear in Adventure Mode aswell.. There are actually two setpieces that I know of contain treeguards. One is the Entmoot which has a lot of them walking about randomly in a forest, and there's one where mining equipment lies around a skeleton, and there are about 4 treeguards surrounding it.. Seems the unfortunate miner tried to combat treeguards and met it's demise...

Well, it *can* appear in Adventure Mode aswell.. There are actually two setpieces that I know of contain treeguards. One is the Entmoot which has a lot of them walking about randomly in a forest, and there's one where mining equipment lies around a skeleton, and there are about 4 treeguards surrounding it.. Seems the unfortunate miner tried to combat treeguards and met it's demise...

Well, a funny thing is, right after posting my last post on this thread, I went to play DS and first tree I chopped down spawned a Treeguard (finally).As I now have found all the Things, I just need to make my way back to my camp and recover from major wounds from a fight with hounds that attacked while I tracked down the last Thing (my Log Suit and Football Helmet broke during the fight). So, my next question is this: (as I am soon ready to go to next chapter)What should I take with me? There can be more that four items but point out the four items you keep most important (by using bold?) and the I decide what is the most important of those for me (you can also add a note, why I should take it).

Also, there is a small chance there is a setpiece in your world which has multiple treeguards. If this setpiece is in your world the overall spawn rate will be lower than usual/none will spawn at all.

This is entirely incorrect. I have been able to spawn Treeguards at a perfectly normal rate with the setpiece being just a few screens away.

Walking canefull stack of foodbeefalo hat in case you go to king of winterstack of rocks for early crafting and fire pits

I can't get walking cane because there is no winter in The Game is Afoot chapter (except on the first day).What food would be the best option? I'm sure full stack of most foods spoil before you get to eat it all.

I can't get walking cane because there is no winter in The Game is Afoot chapter (except on the first day).What food would be the best option? I'm sure full stack of most foods spoil before you get to eat it all.

If you can, Bring jerky, lots of it, it doesn't spoil quickly and regenerates sanity, hunger and health very good.

well uhm exchange walking cane with a stack of pig skin or goldfor food other than jerky u may want to bring 40pcs or full stack of bacon and egg recipe

Greetings forum!Just scanned through all pages, haven't found anything relevant, so just asking it myself.How does one cope with monkeys?.. After considerable time spent on preparation for spelunking (resourses for setting up a base, three miner hats) these critters just stole my hats and that was basically it. Lurking in the dark in panic, while the poop is thrown at me, resulted in disappointing demise. I mean, I expected an adventure like going through the Maxwell's door and all I got was poop in my face. So, any advice about avoiding such unpleasant experience? Because otherwise the caves are no-go area for me...

Edited by StanTheAce

Greetings forum!Just scanned through all pages, haven't found anything relevant, so just asking it myself.How does one cope with monkeys?.. After considerable time spent on preparation for spelunking (resourses for setting up a base, three miner hats) these critters just stole my hats and that was basically it. Lurking in the dark in panic, while the poop is thrown at me, resulted in disappointing demise. I mean, I expected an adventure like going through the Maxwell's door and all I got was poop in my face. So, any advice about avoiding such unpleasant experience? Because otherwise the caves are no-go area for me...

I'll admit, the splumonkeys startled the crap out of my when they started sprouting fangs xPThe best thing you can do, just try to avert them. Also, carry a lantern in case they do steal your hat. If you aggro them, just run away. No point in trying to kill them.

I just got steam working again, so I haven't been spelunking in a while. I've got a world going where I have 3/4 teleportato parts, 1 unopened sinkhole, and a sizeable base that's on the way to being liveable year round, but winter's just about here and I'm pretty unprepared, would anyone suggest spelunking for the duration?

I don't see why you couldn't. My last winter was spent mostly spelunking. However, it was tough to maintain the combination of food\light\sanity for that long; even as wendy. You'll need a lot of taffy and probably a dapper hat to really pull it off two weeks underground; or at least some combination of sanity items. If you have food but no clothes, you should be survivable though.I hope you get enough fireflies for the hats, and make sure you can get an alchemy engine down there to build the lantern when the time comes.

I'll admit, the splumonkeys startled the crap out of my when they started sprouting fangs xPThe best thing you can do, just try to avert them. Also, carry a lantern in case they do steal your hat. If you aggro them, just run away. No point in trying to kill them.

Good point, although I doubt that lantern is completely steal-proof :) By the way, do monkeys smash walls if built (like hounds)? Or is it beneficial to bring traps/mines along?

Good point, although I doubt that lantern is completely steal-proof :) By the way, do monkeys smash walls if built (like hounds)? Or is it beneficial to bring traps/mines along?

Monkeys do not smash any walls. The only way they can attack is by throwing poop and they can actually bite with their menacing teeth, but it seems to do no damage at all.. I had an underground werepig and it aggro'ed about 10 or so monkeys, that all bit repeatedly yet the werepig killed them all with ease. Kinda weird if you have seen those menacing fangs ._. (well, it probably has to do with their main attack, the poop throwing, not damaging life but only sanity)If you want to get rid of the monkeys some tooth traps could aid you a lotPS: #Welcome to the forums :D

They seem to not eat anything at all,and just...wander around and maybe have all the food they need in their house? They are quite the mystery....

I realize this is an old reply (as in a few pages ago at the time of my reply,) but nobody corrected it since (and it's Spazmatic--a reputable veteran poster we respect very much.) But this is incorrect none the less.

Mermen or ("Merms") are vegetarians. They will not eat any meat, but will eat all fruit and vegetables dropped by you or a mob (except Seeds or Honey.)

More information on this mob can be found

here. As noted there, using fruits/vegetables to Lure them to an enemy is an established plan of mutal mob attacking (tentacles, spiders, etc.) when they do not spawn Rundown Houses nearby.

Mystery Solved.

• Like 1

I realize this is an old reply (as in a few pages ago at the time of my reply,) but nobody corrected it since (and it's Spazmatic--a reputable veteran poster we respect very much.) But this is incorrect none the less.

Mermen or ("Merms") are vegetarians. They will not eat any meat, but will eat all fruit and vegetables dropped by you or a mob (except Seeds or Honey.)

More information on this mob can be found

here. As noted there, using fruits/vegetables to Lure them to an enemy is an established plan of mutal mob attacking (tentacles, spiders, etc.) when they do not spawn Rundown Houses nearby.

Mystery Solved.

Well, thanks for letting me and the rest know what their actual eating behaviour is ^^. I never really gotten into trying this out I gotta admit, and since I've never even seen them eat,yeah.. Next time I'll do some more research to provide the correct info :) I'll edit the post in case anyone reads back on it and doesn't read your post for whatever reason...

Ps: Thanks for the compliment, I apreciate it a lot

Edit: Damn [MENTION=63128]the truthseeker[/MENTION] , clicked too early in your reputation message. It was gonna be "good job finding providing the right info about merms. I learned something new aswell!"

Edited by Spazmatic

I'm doing Adventure for the first time and my current situation is as follows:

I'm on world 3 at the moment and the order I got them so far was this: The Game is Afoot, King of Winter, Two Worlds (current one).

I've stayed for about 50 days on Game is Afoot and prototyped almost everything. I've rushed King of Winter like hell (finished it in around 12 or 13 days I believe without setting any camp at all).

Right now I'm in Two Worlds and I got myself a very basic base on Paradise. I'm on day 13 and I kinda rushed things on Pandemonium as well. I have all the 4 things in my inventory and I'm pretty much ready to go.

My question would be what do you recommend me to bring to the next world? I got all I need prebuild since Game is Afoot (I only need to prebuild a crockpot since I used it on Two Worlds), and I've been bringing along with me a stack of goldnuggets since the first world (for miners hats on Darkness, though it was kinda pointless since I could have mined them here on Two Worlds). As far as I know there are 2 worlds left which I can get: Archipelago and A Cold Reception.

I'll get with me the Walking Cane and the full stack of Goldnuggets, so there are 2 more items left that I can bring. I'm thinking about bringing the Tam o' Shanter and a Beefalo Hat but I'm not sure if these last two might be the best choices. What would you bring if you were in my situation?

Edited by ailailou