Sign in to follow this  
Manaconda

[Gameplay] Steam sync fail loading game.

Manaconda    10

Maybe I'm missing something but... I bought the beta put the key in and started playing Don't Starve last night and I never saw a saving animation (my character lasted about 3 days). I exited to the main menu and tried again but when I start the game the only options I have are the "New Game" & "Make New World". My research points do seem to be saving. I'm using Chrome. How do I get the continue button to appear?

Edited by Manaconda

YukoValis    10

All was going nicely. I made it to day 21, which is no small feat in a game that's trying so hard to kill you. I waited for a new day to spawn for the auto-save, waited a minute after just to be sure it was done, and then quit.

Came back and the save is deleted.. No reason. I had cloud disabled, and I didn't mess with any of the files, so wth.

It would all be more simple if it would save a file to the steam folder, but I can't find that anywhere, not even searching for files modified whenever I saved.

Is there some ellusive save file that I can copy for a back up or something? I really don't want to keep losing my work. I had a huge farm and tree collection going... hours of work.

ShamusYue    10

I died on day 150, I unlocked the third and fourth character, just to have them vanish along with half of my research I unlocked the next time I opened the game.

deskp    12

Might be a bug where the game deleates the full save insated of just the day to day progress save?

Im extra scared to die now that I know this might happen to my game!

Would be very good if a DEV could comment on this topic saying whats up.

YukoValis    10

Because of the bug now when I'm finished playing, normally around day 25 ish, I just die. Best to just get the xp. I really hope this gets fixed, but like I'm saying at least have it make a save file so I can back up.

softclocks    10

Just lost my game around 70.

Put in a ton of hours yesterday, log on this morning and it's all gone.

Terrible bug and I feel like it's not being paid enough attention.

It essentially renders all my progress null and void. Didn't even get the god damn progress to that third character.

Kevin    500

Hi all,

Don't Starve uses Steam Cloud to save its progress between computers. It is working correctly for most people, although as you can see there are some reports of issues. So, lets narrow things down a bit. If you have had your save disappear, please answer the following:

a) Do you have steam cloud disabled in the steam options for Don't Starve?

b) Did your save disappear, or go back to a previous state?

c) Did you profile (unlocked characters or recipes) disappear or roll back?

d) Did a steam cloud dialog pop up at any point and make you pick between local and cloud? What did you pick?

e) How many computers are you playing don't starve on?

f) How many files are in this folder on your computer, and how big are they: [steam Install Location]/userdata/[steam User ID]/219740/remote/

g) Is the time and date on your computer accurate? Have you changed it recently?

h) Have you ever played any other steam games that use steam cloud? Did you encounter any similar issues with them?

I've been googling around about steam cloud, and it seems that some players of other games are reporting similar problems (Borderlands 2, Skyrim, Witcher 2, Torchlight 2, etc). I'd like to figure out if this is a specific Don't Starve issue, or if there is an underlying issue with Steam Cloud.

softclocks    10

I think you might be onto something with Cloud, because my don't starve steam cloud folder is gone now. I don't have any current saves at the moment though, after I lost my last one.

a) It's enabled.

b) It disappeared.

c) It simply behaved like I had never created the character.

d) No.

e) 1

f) Like I said, it's not there.

h) Yes, and I had the problem in Torchlight 2 once.

Kevin    500

OK, I've been doing some more research, and this problem seems common to a lot of steam cloud games. So it must have something to do with the way certain computers and/or steam installations are configured. Sigh.

One thing that look at is this potential solution that I found over at the Runic forums: http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=40651

Maybe if you are running under a relatively locked-down account, you don't have write access to the save directory? If you could give the "run as admin" solution a try and report back that would be really helpful to us.

I apologise for the save issues - that would be supremely frustrating! But please bear with us - it seems like this may not be a problem that is isolated to Don't Starve. Hopefully, though, we can debug it together and come up with a solution that will help everyone enjoy the game.

YukoValis    10

I do understand you are working hard to fix this. I mean the game is in the beta stages, so I don't expect everything to work perfectly. I just really wanted to bring it to your attention, and wonder if a save file would be a better idea.

I have always had cloud disabled. I was able to save and load correctly a few times, and then I would lose a save once in awhile, and then save would work again. I'm not sure why it works like that, but I don't hope it gets fixed upon full release, and I thank you for your time put in to this great game.

madmansam    10

It works fine for me. with steam cloud. sometimes half way through the night my friends want me to play something with them so I just alt-f4 the game. later when I load it up. save still there. hopefully they fix it for you though

Kevin    500

I've talked to Valve support, and there is a file in your steam directory called cloud_log.txt that records all of the steam cloud actions. If you have had a save file disappear on you, could you send that, along with the approximate time that it happened, to dontstarve.debug@kleientertainment.com? Maybe that will give us some clues.

Jetexx    10

Bug Submission

Please choose a category

[Gameplay]

Platform

• Steam

Version Number

-

Issue title

Steam sync fail loading game.

Steps to reproduce

It stated when I was playing normally, exited and went to play it then Steam comes up with this annoying sync that I don't apparently turn of every second day, conflicted with the loading it said your save on the sync does not match the one on my PC so it said to choose the latest, I clicked yes and boom! I want to delete Don't Starve. It lost all of my data! I was on my highest day 78 and it reloaded 21..............

Describe your issue

It started when I was playing normally, exited and went to play, then Steam comes up with this annoying sync that I don't apparently turn of every second day, conflicted with the loading it said your save on the sync does not match the one on my PC so it said to choose the latest, I clicked yes and boom! I want to delete Don't Starve.
It lost all of my data!
I was on my highest day 78 and it reloaded 21.... What the hey, hey?

Please is there any other way to get it back? With the Chrome version, their is
no
Steam key option anywhere! So I am really confuzzled.

I ask humbly for help, anything you could do would be a tremendous help!
:mad::(:confused:

JoeW    20,971

Hey there, we have had some reports of this issue and we are talking with valve to see if we can narrow down what might be going on. Thanks for your report.

JoeW    20,971

Yeah, sorry about your save. I understand that things like this can be frustrating, but your report helps us make the game more stable for everybody, we really appreciate your help. Thank you.