Sign in to follow this  
pearsoni

About Tree Guardians...

pearsoni    10

I tried a 2 pronged approach to dealing with tree guardians; First I tried planting a cone every time I chopped down a tree. Very eco-friendly I thought, that's sure to keep 'em happy. I soon had a medium sized densely planted forest on the border of my camp, but a tree guard still appeared and started kicking off with me..So resorted to plan B; lured him into the middle of the forest, made a campfire and adopted a scorched earth policy on the whole area.Sadly I burnt to death (happily I had touched a nearby resurrection stone) but when I arrived back at camp the tree guard was still there :|, though no longer interested in me.

Yello Pikmin    10

Nice necropost, Pear.I suppose I'll throw in my two cents about the Treeguard.I found it to be a decent strategy to hire a couple of Pigs (3+) to help chop down a thick area of trees. More often than not, your chopping will be interrupted by a Treeguard spawning. If one of the Pigs aggroed the Treeguard, then it will start killing all the Pigs you have with you. First, you'll get a decent amount of meat from the fighting, but if you left the Treeguard alone, it will stay neutral to you. This will make the Treeguard a powerful ally if you ever encounter a Deerclops, as the Deerclops can hit the Treeguard with its wide melee swing. Providing distraction, this should be enough to take the Deerclops down with ease depending on the Treeguard's health.I also encountered a few Lumpy Treeguards. It appears that they were not given a name yet, as trying to examine them gives the command "Examine MISSING NAME".

oCrapaCreeper    3,105

If anything they need a buff.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbHUS5GD1gI

Even when playing as Maxwell with 75 hp and no armor of any kind, they're not very difficult at all once you know their attack intervals, like this guy just showed.Only pain in the butt is when they're they spawn from the tree you're trying to chop. Almost instant death if you can't react fast enough. Edited by oCrapaCreeper

Chunky    10

My first encounter with a treeguard was earlier this morning. I was playing as the little robot guy. Needless to say it scared the **** out of me at first, and I wasted the entire day running from in and trying to de-aggro it. It had already hit me once so I wasn't going to try kiting it, I was way too low. When night came I ran away with a torch and constantly set it on fire, unfortunately it was still chasing me once morning came, and I was terrified. I did I quick check of my inventory, and luckily I had a 30% ice rod and I froze him and just whacked him to death with a spear. Unfortunately about two minutes later hounds attacked and at 8 HP I really had no chance :\

SharpNomo    79

They are pretty easy to kite, but it'll take a while and a drain on your sanity. I prefer to just tank it with log suits or a marble suit and then whack them over and over. If you have pigs nearby, you just have to walk the treeguard into their village and they murder it even faster (not counting the time it takes to get the treeguard there)

Zaik    10

I took down a large tree guardian today with wolfgang using just a spear and logsuits. it broke my first logsuit so i had to scramble around like an idiot, start a fire, run in circles around it because it turned night while I was fighting, then in the morning get a bunch of grass, make rope, and make a new logsuit, THEN turn and finish him off.

Snob    1,272

I remember fighting the treeguard for the first time..I died.It was a good time. :)

quackmyface    1

I'm a bit of a noob at this game, I had to dowload a cheat mod to get me through my first hound attack. But I found this weird tree, and it looks like it's haunted. When I examine it it just says 'examine Totally Normal Tree'. Can someone tell me wtf that thing is??

I'm a bit of a noob at this game, I had to dowload a cheat mod to get me through my first hound attack. But I found this weird tree, and it looks like it's haunted. When I examine it it just says 'examine Totally Normal Tree'. Can someone tell me wtf that thing is??

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/35245-how-to-kill-all-giants-with-easy-including-fuzzy/

Includes most bosses of the game, few with vids. 

Also, its just a living tree, you can chop it down for end game tier logs.

Cheers!

Battal    9,884

No, hug it. Hug trees.

And I'm sure it will hug you right back.  Through the trachea.  Detaching your head.

• Like 1

AbbyNorml    0

My first post here! Hello!

I guess I handle the treeguards a little different than most. Once I get my base camp set up I chop down my self planted forest until the guardians appear. Usually get two, one large and one small. I plant enough cones to get the guards to "replant" themselves. They stay near my camp, walk around sometimes, never bother me but do protect me better than I can protect myself. Killed the deerclops every winter for me so far... with no damage to my camp. :)

emerphish    242

Even when playing as Maxwell with 75 hp and no armor of any kind, they're not very difficult at all once you know their attack intervals, like this guy just showed. Only pain in the butt is when they're they spawn from the tree you're trying to chop. Almost instant death if you can't react fast enough.

They usually take a solid few seconds to get up, then another few to attack. Usually scares the living crap out of me, even if I have logged 200 or 300 hours on ds.

The Letter W    5,442

I had to put their spawn rate on More just to actually see one in a playthrough. Once I learned about kiting they weren't that big of a deal.

Angry Birches on the other hand can still go suck on a birchnut. I've never been able to properly deal with being swarmed.