• Steam

Version Number

-

Issue title

Save game is deleted after restarting Pc

Steps to reproduce

restarting computer

Describe your issue

Every time wehen i play a game a few (ingame) days and i quit don´t starve, the save is lost after restarting my computer.

Kevin    1,005

Are you guys admin on the computer that you are using? Do you have write access to the steam users folder?

What on earth would be preventing steam from writing your save game out, when it works for most people? There has got to be some kind of config issue.

There's a file called cloud_log.txt in steam\logs directory. Can you send those to dontstarve.debug@kleientertainment.com? There may be a clue in there.

RenotS    10

Same issue. I can't turn my computer off without worrying about my Don't Starve game file. Sure enough, EVERY time I restart, my game is gone. 3rd time today lol

etherealwtf    10

I used to have this problem.

I was thinking that maybe, the game was made with flash. I turned off a firefox module that erases flash cookie files. Maybe it's just pure luck.

Illmad    10

Same problem. Happened to me twice. I don't want to start a new game anymore when I know it will most likely all end up being for nothing, as I won't even get the experience for it.

Will keep a close eye on this topic though, and see if a solution comes up.

Kevin    1,005

Illmad, if you open up the game, does it ever let you start without regenerating the world? IE - do you see the creepy hands animation every time?

thekidatomic    10

I have this same problem. I don't have to create a new world everytime it starts up (I don't get the creepy hands animation), but I have to start a new game each time. All the other games I have on Steam load saves fine, and I'm admin on my computer.

Kevin    1,005

Weird. Well, send in your cloud.log files and I'll see if it's complaining about anything. I'm at a bit of a loss for why it's being so inconsistent for certain people.

Illmad    10

Hands doesn't show when I open the game now, no (I do see one in the corner though)

But I should note that this weekend I put Steam to offline mode in order to play while on a weekend trip to the mountain. The first time it happened, I'm speculating if I didn't mess with the online/offline modes then too. Could this have caused it mayhaps?

Edited by Illmad

Illmad    10

When having played Borderlands 2 offline, and then going online again, I get a message upon starting the game, that the files on my computer doesn't match the files in the Steam cloud, and offer me to either overwrite the Cloud with the files on my computer, or overwrite the files on my laptop with the files in the Steam cloud. I never get the same message with Don't Starve, so I'm thinking this might be part of the issue.

isaak    10

Same problem here... after Steam restart the save is gone.... no continue button....

The World stays but i need to start a new game in it.

Kevin    1,005

I'm in contact with Valve about this issue. I'll fix it as Soon as we figure out what's going wrong.

etherealwtf    10

I used to be able to save. I started my game today, and there is no continue button. I had a 103 days run, and now i have nothing, and it's not even my fault. That's too much frustration for me. I think I'll wait a long time before I start a new game.

Edit.

By activating cloud synchronisation for compatbile games and restarting steam several times; until steam doesnt ask for synchronisation when you restartm it seems to work. Steam cloud is not a good advertising for cloud in general.

Edited by etherealwtf

dagsgaz    10

I think this problem might have started for me when i imported my chrome version over.(THINK but not sure at all)

GoWayaKun    10

I installed Don't Starve on Steam yesterday. After quitting the game and coming back, I could still continue my saved game. After exiting Steam and logging back in, I could no longer choose continue.

Going into Steam settings and toggling on "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for games that support it" resolved this issue.

Now exiting Steam by logging out or restarting the computer keeps the continue option.

Edited by GoWayaKun
Removed an observation which was likely wrong.

dagsgaz    10

Restarting my pc wasn't causing steam to shut down properly. This meant steam did not synch and therefore my games were not saving. i solved this my properly quiting steam before i shut down my pc.

- - - Updated - - -

Restarting my pc wasn't causing steam to shut down properly. This meant steam did not synch and therefore my games were not saving. i solved this my properly quiting steam before i shut down my pc.

isaak    10
I installed Don't Starve on Steam yesterday. After quitting the game and coming back, I could still continue my saved game. After exiting Steam and logging back in, I could no longer choose continue.

Going into Steam settings and toggling on "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for games that support it" resolved this issue.

Now exiting Steam by logging out or restarting the computer keeps the continue option.

Ok i tried and restarted Steam ... I can continue YAY :) ..... but 10 minutes before i read this i killed myself after 40 Days to get the Exp and reseach points dammit :p