Sign in to follow this  
Miss Andry

Different Difficulty Levels: Normal, Hard, Extra Hard, etc.

Miss Andry    10

I got this game from a friend a couple of days ago, and I really liked it. I loved being thrown into this game and not knowing anything about it and trying to figure out what to do. Only problem is, I figured out what to do and it's just too easy.

I think a simple solution would be adding some different difficulty levels. For example, in hard mode you would get hungrier faster. There would be more monsters. Maybe darkness even lasts longer. It's harder to find food and what not.

Customizing how the player can play is always a plus. It makes everyone happy to have different ways to play, and I think it's a fairly simple solution.

But for all I know it might already be happening Soon, and I realize this is still an early beta, so I'm not upset or anything. I know there's a guy around here that likes to say "set goals for yourself" or gimp yourself on purpose, but I don't think that's a fun thing to do in a game, unless its specifically put in it as a challenge.

Look at Binding of Isaac's dlc challenges for example. I think Don't Starve could do something similar and it'd work really well. An example being "Survive 20 days without eating berries" or something, or hiring pigs I don't know. When you finish, it could reward you with a hat or a building to use later in other games or challenges.

I ended up typing way too much, but that's just what I think would make the game feel a lot better, and they seem to be fairly simple things to do. I'm sure it's already been suggested before, but I might as well make sure.

Osterhasi    10

I like your idea with the difficulty or some kind of achievments, but this is like the 100 repost... you just have to look at the Common Suggestions (And responses) Thread.

LadyD: "Difficulty -Easy, Hard. Slider... etc. Variable suggestions on HOW and WHAT.

It is suggested OVER and OVER and OVER... I think they know people like the idea. Still How about we let them get one version working well before we pester them endlessly over this? Hmm? "

Sorry for being a bit harsh ;-)

Edited by Osterhasi

Nickdy    18

Im sorry to say but, i've already suggested this idea. But my idea was that difficulty effected things like seasons and how much exp you receive when you die. Easy = 50% medium = 100% Hard = 150%

In easy seasons are just for asthetics and only effects how the game looks

Medium has seasons that effect the world around you

Hard has seasons that effect the world around you and weather events + natural disasters.

LadyD    3307

Sorry to say Nickdy you are NOT the first either.

It is a VERY common suggestion.

The Dev's know about it. And its many variations.

mobius187    30
Sorry to say Nickdy you are NOT the first either.

It is a VERY common suggestion.

Underground areas! Weather! Seasons! Wait... I re-read the thread and realized it has nothing to do with repeating common suggestions at all. My bad. :p

In all seriousness, this is a common idea and not a bad one in principal. It wouldn't surprise me if the final version of the game has difficulty levels, whether chosen, associated with specific characters, or gradually introduced over time within a game.

As for the challenges you mentioned, yes, that would be similar to the Binding of Isaac. I wouldn't mind personally if this was included in some capacity as perhaps a way to unlock new characters. Of course it's not necessarily the best way, but it's a way.