Nov 27 Preview!

Kevin

There a few people that have speculating that with the addition of amulets being able to resurrect, that effigies will be useless. I think not. Consider the following:

The amulet resurrection is really to offset the fact that the female characters cannot craft an effigy due to not being able to grow a beard. Yes, we know you can just use a tent, but the fact is thats still a pretty hefty resource investment and inconvenience to say the least.

Also Kevin already said that finding amulets will be reduced and even though you can craft amulets, it will be from very rare resources, so effigies will still be extremely viable and one will be able to craft them at a much higher rate than amulets.

So in short: effigies for male characters (can Wolfgang shave his mustache?)/ Wilson and amulets for Wendy/Willow.

With that being said, I have a few questions/inquiries about the new build:

Hounds: we will be able to defend ourselves against them? or will it be instant death once they appear?

The amulet resurrection is really to offset the fact that the female characters cannot craft an effigy due to not being able to grow a beard.

Wrong, every character can make an effigy, people just may not know that a certain beefy animal can be shaved at night. So yes all characters can make the effigy.

Wrong, every character can make an effigy, people just may not know that a certain beefy animal can be shaved at night. So yes all characters can make the effigy.

so you are saying effigies accept "Beefalo Wool" even though they require an entirely different item called "Beard Shavings"?

Gonna go test this right now.

*Edit* Just tested, nope, Beefalo Wool cannot be used to craft Effigies, sadly. I already knew this, since Beefalo Wool and Beard Shavings are clearly 2 diiferent items, but wanted to make sure.

Edited by prfella

They don't give beard hair they give beefalo wool.

But I don't know if the meat effigy can be made with other character when you shave wilson put the beard in a chest and then use a tent to change character and build the effigy.

They don't give beard hair they give beefalo wool.

But I don't know if the meat effigy can be made with other character when you shave wilson put the beard in a chest and then use a tent to change character and build the effigy.

Yes its confirmed that and currently the only way for a female character to resurrect. Thats why I listed it in my post that thats most likely the point of amulets since currently a to resurrect a female character you need:

razor

4 boards

4 Beard Shavings

4 cooked meat

15 Silk

6 Branches

3 rope

And thats just for 1 resurrect. That is of course unless you hoard a ton of shavings before switching to a female character, allowing to create a few effigies once you switch. Its still a high resource commitment and inconvenience.

So, what happens if you create effigys as wilson then switch to one of the other characters?

It doesn't matter who builds the effigy, is a character dies (anyone) and there's an effigy already built, that character will resurrect (even if it's a female).

1. start as Wilson
  2. make a couple of effigys
  3. change character
  4. ???
  5. profit

gg

It doesn't matter who builds the effigy, is a character dies (anyone) and there's an effigy already built, that character will resurrect (even if it's a female).

1. start as Wilson
  2. make a couple of effigys
  3. change character
  4. ???
  5. profit

it is still a high resource investment and huge inconvenience. As I said for one effigy to resurrect a female character it is currently:

4 cooked meat

6 boards

4 beard shavings

15 silk

6 branches

3 rope

Not exactly much profit unless you like blowing tons of time and resources into that particular thing.

You could just play as Wilson, it is his unique power, not the other characters…

Yup thats how I play anyway.

I know its personal preference, but what are the benefits of the other character other than Wolfgang?

Willow starts a small fire only in pitch black and you cant move in order to do it. The fire is small and goes out really quickly (5 seconds?) and you cant move it around or make it bigger/brighter in any way (I guess unless is burns nearby trees)

and Wendy? her sister tries to kill you.

Wolfgang is the only really good one IMO, with 100 extra health, 100 extra stomach points, and extra damage on hit. I dont know if you can shave his mustache, but if you can, awesome.

Football Helmet - Keeps your noggin safe. The feather hat attracts more birds.

Ok, I am not 100% sure what is noggin, so maybe i miss the point. But lets say, that by "Football Helmet" you mean classic american football helmet or something similar. My point is, please dont include things that are in opposite of theme and art of the game. I mean, Football Helmet is totally okay, i dont care.. But adding more somehow "funny things" like.. i dunno.. electric shaver can so much ruin the atmosphere :). Maybe it is just me, but so many games dissapointed me, when devs started to add some kind of.. weird items that are not 100% fitting. Lets just stick to some fantasy stuff and steampunk oriented machines. I dont think steampunks wear football helmet and i cant really imagine Wilson wearing one. But there is still possibility of me being mistaken. Then accept my humble apologizes. I love your game, just be carefull, awsome things are really easy to destroy (look at WoW.. they destroyed it with the new Pandaria stuff soo hard, even more then before.)

aye, just because its a football helmet does not mean its against the games theme. that sport exists since 1869, and that fitts the game style very well. it just should not be on of the modern looking helmets, but I am relatively sure that the devs thought of that already.

• Developer
By noggin he just means head. And the helmet would look something like this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]438[/ATTACH]

That is, indeed, the style. You craft it out of pigman butts, and if you look at it Wilson complains of 'not liking sports'.

Yeah. Sorry guys. I was just a bit scared :). Because it sometimes happens, that devs are like "lets add this, it would be so funny, ppl would love it" and they add something... well, lets say weird. Im glad that this is not that case. I propably just forgot how is Kevin/Klei good at what he do. :) So does it mean that I have to kill poor piggies? :(

• Developer
Yeah. Sorry guys. I was just a bit scared :). Because it sometimes happens, that devs are like "lets add this, it would be so funny, ppl would love it" and they add something... well, lets say weird. Im glad that this is not that case. I propably just forgot how is Kevin/Klei good at what he do. :) So does it mean that I have to kill poor piggies? :(

Stragely enough, biiigfoot had the same reaction when I told him that I put in a football helmet.

"Football helmet?! That doesn't fit the game at all!"

"No no - it's from olde-timey foot-ball!"

"Oh, okay. That fits."

You can put "olde-timey" in front of anything to make it fit into Don't Starve!

as long as we don't get "ye olde-timey laser gun" with the next update I am fine. Though I am pretty sure that some people out there would love to have a laser gun, maybe paired with an olde-timey teleporter platform, you know, the ones from oldschool star trek!