Sign in to follow this  
Heathurr

"Files on your computer do not match files in "the cloud""

Heathurr    10

Tried to play the game today. Gave me the error message in the thread title. Says "YOU HAVE TO PICK ONE IF YOU WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME".

So I picked one. I picked 'the cloud' (god that's such an annoying marketing buzzword and people need to quit saying it).

As a result of my choice I lost over 45 days of time in one of my games, and I lost the game afterward entirely. I had played Wendy to the night of day 80 at which point I decided to suicide, hoping to have enough EXP to unlock the following two characters. Of course, the game capped me after unlocking just wolfgang, so presumably I went to a lot of extra effort for no benefit whatsoever.

I had since played wolfgang to nearly day 20. And then I got on today. Wolfgang is gone, and I'm back into the very early parts of my Wendy save. Is there anything I can do to recover my actual file? And how/why did this happen?

AndyBundy    10

This is a steam issue and you should've known better that your choice was wrong.

If you play the game, you play it locally. Therefore the files are changed locally. Now if the files between the cloud in the internet and your local files are different, which ones are the most up-to-date files?

Pretty simple: Since the local files weren't uploaded to the cloud, the cloud files are older than your local files. It happens if you lost connection to Steam or the cloud of steam had some connectivity issues when it tried to upload your files.

So remember: LOCAL FILES are always up to date though there's one excepton: If you switch between devices (e.g. different computers) then you may need to choose the files from the cloud, if you didn't play this game on this computer the last time you played it.

I hope it helps to sort it out. And to recover files... well not possible, except Steam keeps loads of backups, which I actually doubt.

JoeW    23,639

There are a few posts like this one here and there. We will try to see if we can get to the bottom of the steam cloud issues Monday.

Kevin    552

In this particular instance, I'm afraid that's just how steam cloud works. You had been playing offline for a while, and your local save didn't match steam's cloud version. It asked you which one you wanted to keep, and you chose to keep the steam version, which was older.

This is actually a part of steam, and not particular to Don't Starve.

Sign in to follow this