Character Mod Brainstorming: Character Design

Using every official survivor as reference, I tried my best to make my character's design as unique as possible, from the type and color of clothing to the combination of different clothing pieces. While it should be easy to do in theory, I also aim to design her in a way that makes her seamlessly fit in with the rest of the cast as if she was an official addition, which means I'd have to avoid making her too modern-looking. 

I think her design on the left could be passed off as fitting thematically, although I'd appreciate clarification that polo-shirts existed around the 1920s. But I have a few questions regarding some clothing accessories as illustrated on the right:

- Surely jackets existed back then, but specifically ones including hoodies probably didn't?

- A baseball cap might be too dated, then again Walter's Triumphant skin includes one; would it be wrong to take the word of character skins however, even if they appear as one of the more reasonable ones?

- The badge Wage is wearing is supposed to be an internship badge; were internships a thing back then, and did badges for them exist in the way it's illustrated?

I'd greatly appreciate clarifications, feedback, and possibly suggestions in case Wage's design is way off the mark.Wage_the_Intern.png.cea3229b1e1faf78e97d93682c516937.png

• GL Happy 1

You're about a decade off. Traditionally, the Polo Shirt was Men's wear and despite the name the Polo Shirt people know today was actually created by a Tennis player in the 20s. He wore it during matches while everybody else was still wearing button downs and ties. It wasn't until the 30s that he was approached by a company wanting to produce and sell the shirt.

As for hooded jackets and hooded sweaters, hooded sweatshirts started appearing in the 30s as well but hooded coats, like the Duffle Coat, have been around for much longer. You'll see illustrations of hoods on coats even back in the 1850s, like this 1850's illustration of a Polish Frock. Many types of hooded garments and hoods in general have been used for even longer than that.

For your Baseball cap, those are actually pretty old, comparatively speaking. They've gone through a few iterations, but hats resembling the modern baseball caps have been around since the late 1800s/very early 1900s.

Over all, if you were to ask me, I would say she looks too modern. I could see a design like hers appearing in Gravity Falls or even Stranger Things, but not really period-accurate Don't Starve. If you want to design your character to look like she fits in a 1920s setting it might be helpful to look up "1920s Women's Fashion" in your preferred search engine. You'll find plenty of information.

Edited by HeroSoda

A re shorts of any kind good?

Are there any other kinds of shoes I could try to go for if boots don't fit?

Again, do internship badges exist, especially ones that look like how it's drawn? Did interns even exist back then (That last question might be a bit stupid, but I might as well ask)?

3 hours ago, Reecitz said:

Is Walter not a reliable source to use as a reference? Not just his skins, but him in general?

2 hours ago, Reecitz said:

A re shorts of any kind good?

Are there any other kinds of shoes I could try to go for if boots don't fit?

Again, do internship badges exist, especially ones that look like how it's drawn? Did interns even exist back then (That last question might be a bit stupid, but I might as well ask)?

Considering that Walter is both male and described as a "boy", implying he is rather young, he would not be a reliable source to use as a reference for creating a character that is a young woman in a 1920s setting. Styles of dress and what types of clothing were considered "acceptable" were still very different for females than they were for males back then.

Your last question actually isn't "stupid". Depending on how you define an "intern" the answer could be either yes or no. Something resembling modern interns and internships didn't actually really exist until the 60s, though the term "intern" was used to describe medical students in the 20s. However, there was something similar to internships before that. They were called "apprenticeships" and were known to have existed as early as the 11th century under the guild system. They were originally for learning trades, could take a decade or more and the apprentice would typically live with the master they were learning from.

If you need some resources for what 1920s Women's Fashion looked like I would recommend doing some research. Perhaps start Here? Or here? There's this site that has old Vogue magazines. Vogue also has an archive of their magazines. And there's a book titled "Women's wear of the 1920's" by Ruth S Countryman.

39 minutes ago, HeroSoda said:

Considering that Walter is both male and described as a "boy", implying he is rather young, he would not be a reliable source to use as a reference for creating a character that is a young woman in a 1920s setting. Styles of dress and what types of clothing were considered "acceptable" were still very different for females than they were for males back then.

Your last question actually isn't "stupid". Depending on how you define an "intern" the answer could be either yes or no. Something resembling modern interns and internships didn't actually really exist until the 60s, though the term "intern" was used to describe medical students in the 20s. However, there was something similar to internships before that. They were called "apprenticeships" and were known to have existed as early as the 11th century under the guild system. They were originally for learning trades, could take a decade or more and the apprentice would typically live with the master they were learning from.

If you need some resources for what 1920s Women's Fashion looked like I would recommend doing some research. Perhaps start Here? Or here? There's this site that has old Vogue magazines. Vogue also has an archive of their magazines. And there's a book titled "Women's wear of the 1920's" by Ruth S Countryman.

Did these "apprenticeships" even exist in the 1920s? What were common occupations for women back then? What were colleges/universities like for students, if they were even as much of a thing as now?

I just wanted to say both of your characters are very cute and pretty, great job! :D

I don't have any advice for clothing unfortunately (although both of their clothing seems great to me and they both look very nice in it), but I would say don't worry about it too much because I mean look at all the skins Klei adds now... Lol they stopped caring about keeping their own characters looking from their proper timelines for a while now so it's not that big of a deal. Just go with whatever clothing you find fashionable and fits the character and you like personally! :wilson_dorky:

1 minute ago, . . . said:

I just wanted to say both of your characters are very cute and pretty, great job! :D

I don't have any advice for clothing unfortunately (although both of their clothing seems great to me and they both look very nice in it), but I would say don't worry about it too much because I mean look at all the skins Klei adds now... Lol they stopped caring about keeping their own characters looking from their proper timelines for a while now so it's not that big of a deal. Just go with whatever clothing you find fashionable and fits the character and you like personally! :wilson_dorky:

Thanks! I greatly appreciate your words.

And maybe it's true that they have gotten a bit more lenient timeline-wise, if Walter and Wanda are anything to go by; they were probably the first sign of it being the case. But still, I just want to see how far I can have my characters stray from the stereotype of character mods looking and feeling out-of-place.

• Like 1