The future for players of the game. What do you think will keep you invested?

10 hours ago, Szczuku said:

"What do you think will keep you invested?"

Definitely not what Klei is currently doing lmao, haven't played dst since April

You haven't played since April and you're complaining about features that you haven't experienced. Sounds like you're biased to dislike things on the premise of them existing, and not on their actual impact on the game.

Ngl, skill trees keep me invested. While I will come back to DST for the sandbox elements, the skill trees make me feel like I'm not just repeating the same game over and over again with variations with things like world gen and the like. While there will eventually come a day that I will have them all fully unlocked and the insight point method seems clunky to many, it feels very intune with my desires. It gives me a reason to actually want to play with character instead of picking who I liked the most every time by having that 160ish day buffer to get all points. It just feels nice having the idea of progression even if the impact of some skill trees varies from massive to minor.

I know some people feel the combat element needs improved but personally I believe it's the survival aspect of the game that needs improved even from a new player perspective it's very bare bones all it takes is know what you can do.

It's not even a experienced player thing as it's a common problem people face.

1. I enjoyed completing Wilson's skill tree, even though it is widely considered to be the most underwhelming. I want to play the other skill tree characters to max now.

2. The world feels more lively now that I opened the lunar rifts. Gestalts rushing around and new world events that happen regardless of the season. 

3. I like the new bosses, though it is hard to pin down why. Maybe it is because they are way more punishing if you mess up, but they require less resources to fight? Getting the stun on them and rushing in to do crazy damage before they start reeking havoc again is also fun. 

4. Quality of life changes like the scrapbook and pointing out nearby interests feels good. I like learning from my character's notes way more than looking up stuff on a wiki.

I will eventually get burned out, move on, and then come back ready for more Don't Starve like I always have. I am just happy that Klei always manages to lure me back in. :wilson_love:

2 hours ago, somethin said:

The normal sign skin. Why is this not a thing yet, Klei? Do you not want my money???
On another note, more varied world gen pattern would be nice.

there are 101 good ideas for skins, but I have a theory I like to call "Spoiled for choice" theory.

They can't release a number of good skins all at once, because we'll have a choice of what to get instead of deciding to get a skin pack that comes along despite feeling indifferent about it.

For example, we get a nice sign skin that looks like a medieval sign post, hay walls that look like topiary hedges, statue skins that look like they're overgrown with ivy, stone wall skins that when flattened, look like tiles instead of rubble, we'll be so spoiled for choice that we may decide one by one what we want weaving them with spools instead of just buying the whole pack.

16 hours ago, grm9 said:

tbh you could buy a PC that can run DST for less than 100$ i think, idk why would you choose xbox instead of PC, considering it doesn't even have exclusive games which could've been the reason in case of PS or Switch

just don't shave them on your own and ask the friends that you're playing with to not do that either 

just don't make them and ask your friends to not make them either 

because it requires spending effort on something that the players themselves can do effortlessly    

play as wormwood or compensate the healing that you gained from food by eating red shrooms or standing nearby a burning rope and extinguishing it after you take enough damage to fully compensate the healing                                                     

Yeah, if you want a challenge, just don't use things that make it easier.

It's like saying you want to do a fist only Ultrakill run and you beg the devs to delete the guns so you alone can do the challenge.

You can "toggle off" things with your mindset. And if your friends don't want to, well, there's always the chat/kick option.

On topic, I have done so many things in dst. Ruins clearing, raid bosses, megabasing, Lights Out, everything sets to tons,... and I am fine with leaving dst for a while, the new contents don't really appeal to me. Maybe when the new arc is finished it will have enough interesting contents for me to keep playing (sure as hell it won't be like the rot arc, right?). But for now, dst has run its' course for me.

17 hours ago, Shosuko said:

This is definitely true.  Combat is not what DS or DST have ever been about.  The world has always been more focused on allowing you to creatively deal with your problems, not suit up and go hambat on them.  People who want more complex battles, or battles focused on the combat often fail to recognize that... this just isn't the game engine to put that in.

For example - rooks can charge any of 360 degrees, but only have 2 sprites to show what angle they are facing.  If you are near other people and a rook charges there is NO WAY to easily know where it is going so you cannot be too harsh if someone fails to dodge.  And that is kinda the pandemic that plagues DST for future content.  The game isn't designed to have complex, specific answers to situations - its designed to just give you a thing, whatever that thing is, and YOU find out how to best it.  Whether that is building walls to hold of lavae, building bunny huts to help with bee queen, or trapping AG on a pillar.  These are the real way to play DST.  Yes combat and dodging are possible, but they are not the basis of the game.

They are fun, but they are also quite antithetical to DST.  They turn the game from an exploration and survival game to an rpg.  The fights become extremely repetitive as they are essentially quick time events on loop.  NMWP is dodge 3 times then hold f for a bit.  In stage 2 you gotta get the pillars knocked down, then in stage 3 you go back to stage 1 and maybe he surprises you with a fist pound and catches you off guard... once...

Yes its fun and different from all of the content before - but it is also extremely scripted and one dimensional.  They are only difficult until you learn what you're supposed to do, and then they are easy again. zombosses especially so b/c of how oppressive they are if you don't exploit their "this is how you win" mechanic.

There is very little room to be creative, and to be a non-combat character in that world - hence all of the skill trees now turning *every* character into a combat character.

------------------------------------

Yeah there is a bit of an issue where you've learned the world, your play strategies have become streamlined, and you beat all content - that happens in every game though.  There are people doing naked runs on Dark Souls and Eldenring b/c that is the life of EVERY game.  Its a game.  Its designed to be beaten.  Once you beat it, you beat it.  If you don't enjoy re-playing at that point turn it off and find a different game for a bit, come back when you're ready to experience what it is again.  Don't complain b/c the game doesn't infinitely scale up difficulty to suit your own personal desires, that is just an unreal expectation.

Things like Uncomp mod are great examples of that.  The combat is more scripted - basically walling off many creative solutions - but in the end, you beat it and that's it.  You're back to just playing DST with extra steps enabled...  It really isn't that transformative.

Ya know its really crazy b/c I've played DST for almost 3k hours, I've beaten all the bosses multiple ways from the hard core no-cheese wes to the ultra chees auto kill with catapults - and in the dfly speed run tournament that just ended I STILL saw new tech for how to approach the fight.  People acting like finding a vid on yt lets you beat the game - well first off it does take skill to enact a strategy but also there are MORE strategies to find.  If you don't like doing things the same way, FIND A DIFFERENT WAY TO DO IT.  The problem is YOU not the game.  That's why I feel zombosses, planar, and a lot of these new things are antithetical.  This is Don't Starve Together, not Dark Souls Terraria.

The issue is combat is all that really matters in dst as it stands so it's going to continue to go in a rpg route because survival is too superficial at all stages of the game so all that matters is combat forcing every character to blend into a combat soup. The issue a new player faces with survival comes from two aspects them not knowing what to do and them not being used to the combat system with the former being praised as the proper way to experience dst, however most survival games don't stop being a survival game after you learn the basics of survival. As it stands from a non combat perspective the entirety of survival ends once you learn to build specific one time structures, learn what clothes to wear in what season, and make one stable food source and this is where most players journeys end because everything else is fluff that is used to make survival even easier or combat challenges. You can see why we're heading in this combat centric "dark souls" route now right?

Personally I feel that if we don't want dst to go down this route then dst needs a shake up to it's survival loop at it's core one that I feel would be good for the early game as well. Just to spitball some changes I would make personally:

• Speed up the amount of time it takes to harvest materials like logs, rocks and such and increase the amount of resources each drops to spend less time in those areas which could free up that time for other content (besides I'm sure no one really enjoys doing those tasks for super long anyway)
  • Add biome hazards not related to combat and make them change based on season as well
  • Introduce more mechanics that harm your stash of resources as well as new protection methods
  • Make food less abundant but more varied and spread out throughout the world as well
  • Give each biome a more pronounced advantage and disadvantage for basing in those areas

To go into a bit more detail the swamp could stand to have the amount of tentacles in it dropped by a lot but also making it so tentacles respawn randomly throughout the swamp over time as their killed. In their place other mechanics could be introduced for example there could be puddles added that wet your character, gear, and nearby objects if you run through them as well as a seasonal mob who intentionally splashes characters with water lowering their sanity directly and wetting them but not harming the player physically. The overall biome could also make it so that things that lower sanity do so by more due to it being a gloomy biome. The desert biomes could drain hunger more rapidly and suffer from being dangerously cold throughout the winter. Snowstorms could happen in winter that would tear at your winter clothes damaging them or you if your not wearing any. They could also leave snow piles that could slow you down, make you wet, and make certain structures non functional if you don't shovel them. Again all these are just some examples of where the game could go with it's gameplay instead.

On 12/17/2023 at 4:56 AM, Ohan said:

Food / cooking overhaul. 

RWYS is still one of the best updates ever but its incomplete without food rebalance and new crop based dishes. 

I want stuff that shakes up the day-to-day survival in a big way like RWYS. 

I hope one day they will give cooking the same treatment as RWYS.

If they implemented a lot from the Gorge, it would accomplish that imo. Not just new recipes but different ways to cook new dishes. The addition of a grill and oven, being required to cook certain dishes all with their own cookware/mechanics. Just the simple fact you can burn dishes adds a layer to cooking that would change the way we spam crockpot meals and walk away. Getting new tree's we could tap, new mushrooms, wheat we could grow and grind, beefalo we could milk, an ocean gadget we could get salt from (only to season dishes, not for the salt box) would all add that extra touch I feel is lacking in it's current state. We could even add additional buffs if we take the time to plate these new dishes. This to me would make cooking in DST feel so much more dynamic and fun. I can already imagine the kitchens ppl would create! 

6 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

• Make food less abundant but more varied and spread out throughout the world as well
  •  

Generally what you said yeah - but especially food.  The only real reason to crock pot foods is to get healing or sanity dishes.  Raw ingredients are just too powerful.  Meat barely drops sanity, you can just kill and eat it raw as you go.  Monster meat can be cooked and has barely any negatives.  Mushrooms raw completely overstep any prepared dish.  Lately I don't even make a crock pot until mid-winter, and only to cook up the royal jellies before they go bad.

A rebalance of what is available, and what everything cooks into would do a lot (I think) to spice up the game.  Tie certain vegies to each biome and have them spawn in similar to carrots.  Make raw meat damage a player.  Cut down the values of the default dishes like meaty stew and meatballs that can be made from a bit of whatever and spike up the value of dishes that requires specific ingredients.  This can feed back into RWYS gardening b/c then you're probably targeting foods other than potatoes / tomatoes and Warly spices.

Introducing more specialty dishes that have effects and add purpose to using them.  I think poison is always a fun status to deal with in games, which automatically adds curing poison to the list of things to cook up.  Eating yellow or red foods could have a chance of causing illness which can't be cleared easily, but some foods can speed recovery etc.  I'm sure other things can be added in a similar vein.

The of course balance availability.  Food drop and re-spawn rates should probably be effected by how many players are on a server.  If you're playing solo drop and respawn of food should be much lower - I always end up with overflowing fridges and spoiled food playing solo b/c we just get too much.  Raise it with the number of players so its a bit easier to feed a village.  I don't think this would be too difficult to do.

1 minute ago, Shosuko said:

Generally what you said yeah - but especially food.  The only real reason to crock pot foods is to get healing or sanity dishes.  Raw ingredients are just too powerful.  Meat barely drops sanity, you can just kill and eat it raw as you go.  Monster meat can be cooked and has barely any negatives.  Mushrooms raw completely overstep any prepared dish.  Lately I don't even make a crock pot until mid-winter, and only to cook up the royal jellies before they go bad.

A rebalance of what is available, and what everything cooks into would do a lot (I think) to spice up the game.  Tie certain vegies to each biome and have them spawn in similar to carrots.  Make raw meat damage a player.  Cut down the values of the default dishes like meaty stew and meatballs that can be made from a bit of whatever and spike up the value of dishes that requires specific ingredients.  This can feed back into RWYS gardening b/c then you're probably targeting foods other than potatoes / tomatoes and Warly spices.

The of course balance availability.  Food drop and re-spawn rates should probably be effected by how many players are on a server.  If you're playing solo drop and respawn of food should be much lower - I always end up with overflowing fridges and spoiled food playing solo b/c we just get too much.  Raise it with the number of players so its a bit easier to feed a village.  I don't think this would be too difficult to do.

I completely agree this also gives me a callback to my new player experience where I never used the crock pot because I didn't have a reason to no joke it actually took until Warly was released in dst to have me start using crockpots more and even then I still rarely make crockpot dishes

What would keep me playing DST would be something it’s currently lacking in a lot of departments- and it all boils down to one deciding factor when I buy video games:

Replay Value.

And while there’s no shortage of it in DST, you can also arguably say that if there ISNT going to be a Dont Starve 2, And DST is the FUTURE of the franchise for the next idk 10 years? Then Replay value needs to hit you in the face hard.

The question we NEED to be asking is what would keep you playing DST for the next 10 years? (Mods are not allowed.. Vanilla experience ONLY)

For Me I want more challenging Survival in my survival game- Once I’ve conquered the 4 seasons the games challenges shouldn’t just become something I optionally opt into doing..

I ALSO want more randomly generated worlds so replay value gets massively extended and isn’t what it is now- Highly predictable.

New modes that flip the script of how you play the game- Lights Out Mode shouldn’t just be a tacked on modification to the standard experience, new mobs or mob behaviors should be present here- such as having grabby granny come out her home with a small lantern to do night activities. Or letting a world of permanent darkness be largely over infested by spiders who are out more often at dark, that sort of stuff.

Flip the Script…

What would keep me playing DST FOREVER is if it got a creative mode where players could create their own map, place their own mobs and challenges, and then upload those to a Klei server for other players to download and attempt to play.

(if you’ve ever played Battleblock Theatre or even Fallguys creative mode you got a rough idea of what Infinite Replay Value is)

even GTA Online & Minecraft have player created experiences and that’s something that DST currently lacks, that would add infinite replay value.

On 12/17/2023 at 12:41 PM, HowlVoid said:

Some of you have hundreds or even thousands of hours in this game and you wanna say "I'm getting bored". Yeah, no duh.

Take a break, come back to the game in a couple years. It will still be here.

Yep! This exactly. I stopped playing right before the game left beta (the lag was unbearable, still is but at least there are mods to fix it for solo play) then came back just before the RWYS update (where I discovered my eternal love for Wormwood). Stopped playing consistently in I want to say September of last year when I discovered Total War: Warhammer 2/3, then came back briefly in July, stopped again played for say 100 hours after the Wormwood skillset just to test it out and haven't truly played since. Still keeping tabs obviously considering how often I post, I love the game but don't have that itch to play it right now so unless it is something I am extremely passionate about (like the wormwood skillset) I tend to not voice my opinion. I feel more people would benefit from doing the same, just my unsolicited opinion though.

Archived