An Alternative to How Willow's Affinity Spells Could Function

Lunar Flame: Instead of casting it instantly, you toggle "flamethrower mode" where the lunar flames emit from Willow until you turn it off again or you run out of embers. While in this state:

- One ember is consumed per second.

- Willow's temperature gradually decrease.

- The flames extinguish fires, including burning mobs.

- Although I'd like to have it so the flames could be aimed with the mouse (or the right stick in my case), I don't know how well that'd go.

Shadow Fire: At the cost of one ember, one shadow fire tendril spawns per cast, but you don't exit the spellcasting phase when doing so (similar to how Maxwell can still summon servants and duelists until he's satisfied), so Willow can cast them in rapid succession. In addition to being more accurate of course, each shadow tendril could chain hit hostile mobs within a certain radius of Willow before disappearing, prioritizing mobs that are burning. 

I personally want to also make it so clicking the alternate button while hovering over embers quick casts whatever affinity spell you've chosen, or at least quick selects it, but that's just me wanting to make things smoother.

One more thing, it goes without saying really, but I highly recommend removing the cooldowns for both these spells, especially since shadow fire didn't deserve it in the first place, and I feel like I suggested decent enough drawbacks for lunar fire.

Edited by Reecitz
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Reecitz said:

- One ember is consumed per second.
- Willow's temperature gradually decrease.
- The flames extinguish fires, including burning mobs.
- Although I'd like to have it so the flames could be aimed with the mouse (or the right stick in my case), I don't know how well that'd go.

1. This part I like.
  2. I think this wouldn't make much sense when Fire Ball exists.
  3. Not sure how to feel about this part. I'm not opposed to it but I could see there being objections.
  4. I also think that would be ideal but it might be a coding limitation.
18 minutes ago, Reecitz said:

Shadow Fire: At the cost of one ember, one shadow fire tendril spawns per cast, but you don't exit the spellcasting phase when doing so (similar to how Maxwell can still summon servants and duelists until he's satisfied), so Willow can cast them in rapid succession. In addition to being more accurate of course, each shadow tendril could chain hit hostile mobs within a certain radius of Willow before disappearing, prioritizing mobs that are burning. 

I like the idea but, one question: how do you propose "chain hitting" would work? Currently each tendril hits 1 enemy then stops, are you suggesting it would instead hit multiple enemies, or hit the same enemy multiple times, or both?

1) Fire Ball does in fact exist, but you'd at least be forced to spend some embers just to ensure you combat the temperature loss, which would count against the duration of casting lunar flames. 

2) Having lunar flames put out fires and burning mobs at least makes it so you can't abuse it alongside panicking creatures.

3) A single shadow tendril will not hit the same enemy twice, so it will every enemy it reaches once before disappearing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1