Portals negatively affect Megabase experience

On 4/21/2023 at 11:00 PM, lakhnish said:

Wow, that's pretty lame that happens.

I'm definitely just gonna disable this content, which is a shame as I normally don't do that.

Yeah looking the same for me at this point. I'm not having my 11k+ world I've worked on for a frankly ridiculous amount of time face constant damage and threat because I have plants and bushes etc in my base. Just seems ridiculous.

Don't wanna miss out on content but if I have to in order to protect my world from unnecessary and annoying destruction then I don't have much of a choice. 

Also getting sick of all this mega basers vs "survivalists" talk. Like multiple others have already said it's literally the next logical step after beating all the games content. Many players don't want to just erase their previous world and start all over again. Megabasing and terraforming/transforming the world is a huge part of this game and the only real thing left to do once you've conquered everything else (outside of self imposed challenges etc). It's not this alternative play style or small fraction of players like Mike and others seem to think it's literally the end game content/option if you don't want to basically just start over. 

On 4/22/2023 at 1:30 AM, Mike23Ua said:
On 4/21/2023 at 11:00 PM, lakhnish said:

To be fair- Klei probably never intended for players to build a gigantic base that spreads across multiple game biomes that turn the survival sandbox into sort of their own amusement park..

You can't actually believe or think this right? 

They knew exactly what sort of game they were making and the possibilities/options players would have. There's no "end" or "winning" the game and world's can go on more or less forever so clearly from the very start of the games release it had a sandbox element and late game option (only real option once everything else is cleared other than starting over) of ever expanding and building which is now referred to as "mega basing".

100% they intended players to have the ability to build anywhere and everywhere and to expand their bases and transform the world as they see fit.

They were well aware of the options and base building possibilities they were providing us with when creating and releasing this game and honestly to say otherwise in my opinion somewhat insults the devs intelligence and vision. 

On 4/22/2023 at 1:30 AM, Mike23Ua said:

I can just see it now: They add a mechanic like that, Update the Palmcone Trees to have a Shipwrecked Style PalmGuardian, Megabasers chop/move their trees around and SURPRISE!

Tree guards/guardians don't destroy non renewable resources, murder neutral mobs in pens and cause damage to your base in ways that will potentially take hours to undo or fix.

Also they don't spawn off screen but rather right in front of you as trees are being destroyed/chopped (except meteor and other tree destruction that happens off screen but that's super unlikely to happen in a base area). 

I'd love tree guardians from palmcone trees, snakes and mobs spawning from certain picked resources would be cool too. Neither would threaten mega bases like these portals or the moon storm do. 

On 4/22/2023 at 1:52 AM, Mike23Ua said:
On 4/22/2023 at 1:33 AM, yourAnty said:

You mean the bosses that are added to the game with the intention that you will be playing with other people? Those raid bosses?? Yeah.. I don’t do those because despite buying this game for like 15-20 people in my friends list only like 2 actually play it.. and they die so much I can’t ever expect them to ever be ready to fight a boss.

I've killed every raid boss multiple times solo. There are literally options and tactics the game gives you so they are very doable solo. 

On 4/22/2023 at 1:52 AM, Mike23Ua said:

Dont try to PUSH the fact that I intentionally ignore group based challenges, as a way of saying I don’t know what survival content is/should be.

How about the fact you literally don't engage with a bunch of content in the game and therefore dont really have the experience or familiarity with the game other players do yet you are one of the most vocal people on these forums constantly wanting content and updates that cater specifically to your pretty unique and constantly changing early game focused play style.

Do people seriously think Klei doesn't consider megabasers at this point, considering the most recent additions have been:

1) craftable ruins turf
2) 3 marble turfs
3) 2 new carpet turfs
4) mannequins

Just kinda weird after all that, they do a 180 and decide to just grief megabasers for no good reason, though. Chasing megabasers off can't be good for business, considering they're the ones that buy all the cosmetic skins.

42 minutes ago, cybers2001 said:

Do people seriously think Klei doesn't consider megabasers at this point, considering the most recent additions have been:

1) craftable ruins turf
2) 3 marble turfs
3) 2 new carpet turfs
4) mannequins

Just kinda weird after all that, they do a 180 and decide to just grief megabasers for no good reason, though. Chasing megabasers off can't be good for business, considering they're the ones that buy all the cosmetic skins.

This post is genuinely confusing to me, I buy skins to decorate my bases with too, DS/DST is a game with a Repair Button for things like destroyed Walls… and Unless somehow your world runs out of Resources (or You had someone join your world and decorate it with a skin you DONT Own) then anything that gets Destroyed can be replaced.. Right??

You may not like Replacing It, It May not Suit YOUR Playstyle, but for some.. maybe they Enjoy needing to upkeep/maintain their base?

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

This post is genuinely confusing to me, I buy skins to decorate my bases with too, DS/DST is a game with a Repair Button for things like destroyed Walls… and Unless somehow your world runs out of Resources (or You had someone join your world and decorate it with a skin you DONT Own) then anything that gets Destroyed can be replaced.. Right??

You may not like Replacing It, It May not Suit YOUR Playstyle, but for some.. maybe they Enjoy needing to upkeep/maintain their base?

I'd like to see a poll for people that enjoy fixing walls and broken fences. I'd laugh if the number of those that vote yes ends up being 1.

Seriously, though, part of the point of megabasing is to feel like you're gradually improving your quality of life within the world. There's an element of upkeep that already exists in Don't Starve, in the form of having to regularly farm even the most basic resources. Having your base erode over time has an opposite effect, however, as the bigger your base becomes, the more time you'd have to spend fixing things.

Archived