SURPRISE! (Story preview test!)

• Developer

Hey guys! Here's your surprise!

Adventure mode takes about 10 hours to complete (we think!), so we need to leverage the power of the crowd to see how the whole thing feels before launch. In order to sneak in a little more testing and feedback time, we've made a special branch showcasing the (close to) final tuning of adventure mode.

If you are an advanced player, please consider hopping over to the test branch and giving it a whirl. Graham will be providing some survey questions to collect your feedback. We have disabled level 6 (the epilog) so as to not spoil the ending of the game, but the rest of it is in there.

Here are the instructions for doing the switch:

[*]In your Steam library, right click on Don't Starve and select Properties

[*]Click on the Betas tab

[*]From the dropdown, select the "adventuretesting" branch

[*]type ADVENTUREMODE in the password box and press the "Check Password" button. (DON'T PRESS ENTER! IT WILL CLOSE THE WINDOW)

[*]Steam should now say that you have opted into the beta

[*]Close the dialog, and play the game! Your version number should be 75767

[*]To switch back, do the previous steps, but select NONE as your beta branch.

​Save games and profiles are branch-specific, so you can switch back and forth without stomping your save games. We will be wiping this branch and putting everyone back to default at the end of the week, so please only switch to it if you want to participate in the test.

If you find any bugs in this branch, please report them in this thread, and not through the usual system.

Edited by Kevin

• Developer

Hey everyone! It’s me, Graham! You all have probably not seen me around these forums, but I’ve been working on Don’t Starve for a few months now, especially on world gen and the Adventure levels.

What we need

We’re looking for lots of people to play and give feedback on the Adventure levels, to try and catch the odd random scenarios, and to see how different people’s play styles work out.

Important!

The levels now have a semi-random order, so when you start a level, write down the name that appears at the beginning! This will help us all make sure we’re talking about the same thing. :)

Then, just play the level through until you either win or die, and then come back and answer a couple questions for us. Then continue on to the next level! :D

The Questions

[*]Which level did you play? (Don’t forget to write down the name when you start!)

[*]How would you rate your Don’t Starve skill: Beginner, Moderate, or Expert?

[*]Did you end the level by teleporting or by dying, and at how many days?

[*]What was the most challenging aspect of the level? (Think about resources, enemies, light and sanity, food, shape of the world, etc...)

[*]What did you have the most fun with in this particular level? What was the coolest part?

[*]What was your overall strategy for beating the level? Did you change or adapt the strategy as the level went on?

[*]And of course if you have any other comments on the overall play and feeling of the level, fire away!

Other things to note

[*]This update has also introduced random resource replacement in adventure mode. So if you end up in a word without saplings, it’s not a bug, it’s a challenge! ;)

[*]This is a live testing branch, so if you are on this branch, post bugs here, not in the main bug forum. Thanks!

And... Enjoy! :D

Edited by Ipsquiggle

• Developer

I'm a chrome user. I'm so sad.

Oh, right. Sorry Chrome users. We don't have a good way to let you opt in. Steam is just really convenient about such things.Don't worry - you'll get to see the results soon enough. :)

Oh, right. Sorry Chrome users. We don't have a good way to let you opt in. Steam is just really convenient about such things.Don't worry - you'll get to see the results soon enough. :)

You should have a tab in the options in the chrome version to open the don't starve files.

Dunno if this is a bug with just adventure testing, but when you are moving with wasd, keep moving with them and then use the mouse at the same time, then (while still holding wasd) let go of the mouse, Wilson stalls for a bit before moving again.

I would like to point out that it would be lovely to test this on mac or linux, however unfortunately it's very unlikely at the moment, as the problem with Steam version on mac or linux doesn't seem to be acknowledged or indeed dealt with. To prove the point here is one of the messages from the update page:

The Mac download isn't working for me. It shows up in my Mac games list, but it doesn't actually download anything when I try to install it. I just keep getting a missing executable error when trying to launch it.

Posted Image

The game isn't downloading, verifying game files doesn't work either. It only creates empty folder in steam nothing else.

Thank you for your attention.

Edited by RabbiD

Wow,sounds awesome,I'll be sure to give it a go when I have computer access again(yay mobile device)and after this sleep thingy..Expect feedback and answered questions tomorrow!Offtopic question for [MENTION=55]Ipsquiggle[/MENTION] I have for a while already:

Graham,why did you look at me forum profile a while ago? ._. (ps,do reply more on the forums,your picture is just adorable,plus it's nice seeing Klei'ers reply ^^)