If Gems had Unique Names in-game...

I've had this thought for a couple of days now, though it's a little suggestion, don't go complaining and pinging me like "THIS BELONGS IN THE SUGGESTIONS FORUM!"

Every gem in the game is only named after its color (ex: red gem, orange gem, yellow gem, etc.), which I find quite bland

I am no gemstone expert, but here are the names I have come up with to make their names stand out more!

For Red gems, I think you know what I'm about to say. I think these red gems should be called Rubies (or just Ruby, lol).
Though red gems aren't shaped like rubies, the name fits them, since they're red (ig?)

I have the perfect name in mind for orange gems and this name has been in my head for a few days since this idea first came up into my mind.
Orange Gems should be named after the Topaz gemstone

It took me a minute to find out a name that should be put for yellow gems, but now, I have a great idea for them, as I think they should be named after the Citrine gemstone because even though not all citrine is yellow, this name perfectly fits their picture.

Ah yes, the green gems, I want them to be named after Emer- just kidding I have a way better idea.
Since green gems are valuable and (sort of) rare in this game, it should be named after Tsavorite, which are MUCH rarer than emeralds, and Tsavorite is one of my favorite gemstones.
Tsavorite is a very valuable gemstone irl, and green gems are also valuable in-game, so Tsavorite fits green gems perfectly!

Blue gems, well, they should be named after Sapphire, a wonderful gemstone with a gorgeous blue shade, and blue gems in-game also have a nice color, idk, sapphire was probably the obvious option.

I have the perfect name for purple gems, Rubellite, a beautiful and gorgeous purple gemstone!

Idk, I just wanted to put this small idea out there on the DST forums, let me know what y'all think, and I hope you have a great day!

Wait wait wait wait.... wasn't there a character in game that actually called these gems by their real names? From what I can remember blue and red gems were rubies and sapphires and the orange one was a topaz.

32 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

They aren't named after real gems because they aren't real gems. They are magical artifacts with no resemblance to real world gems other than being vaguely similar colors. 

I don't think that's true considering the fact that iridescent gem looks just like an opal

On top of that it's spawning code "opalpreciousgem"

52 minutes ago, _Ellat_ said:

Wait wait wait wait.... wasn't there a character in game that actually called these gems by their real names? From what I can remember blue and red gems were rubies and sapphires and the orange one was a topaz.

No, there isn't. Wickerbottom calls the Yellow one similar to Citrine and the Orange one looks like Sperssatite but never that they are the gems from Earth.

1 hour ago, _Ellat_ said:

I don't think that's true considering the fact that iridescent gem looks just like an opal

On top of that it's spawning code "opalpreciousgem"

Flint is called flint, rocks are called rocks, spears are called spears, axes are called axes. If it was an opal it'd be called an opal, it's a lot easier than calling it an iridescent gem. The debug name means nothing other than an insight into the development of the item, just like monkeybarrel and minotaur. 

4 hours ago, NightfallsCurse said:

Ah yes, the green gems, I want them to be named after Emer- just kidding I have a way better idea.

Since green gems are valuable and (sort of) rare in this game, it should be named after Tsavorite, which are MUCH rarer than emeralds, and Tsavorite is one of my favorite gemstones.
Tsavorite is a very valuable gemstone irl, and green gems are also valuable in-game, so Tsavorite fits green gems perfectly!

cool idea, 1 problem tho:

literally who has heard of these

10 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Flint is called flint, rocks are called rocks, spears are called spears, axes are called axes. If it was an opal it'd be called an opal, it's a lot easier than calling it an iridescent gem. The debug name means nothing other than an insight into the development of the item, just like monkeybarrel and minotaur. 

Flint resembles flint rocks resemble rocks spears resemble spears axes resemble axes. And iridescent gem resembles an opal.

And totally normal trees are not totally normal

5 hours ago, _Ellat_ said:

Flint resembles flint rocks resemble rocks spears resemble spears axes resemble axes. And iridescent gem resembles an opal.

And totally normal trees are not totally normal

Literally using a joke as the entirety of your argument. Their debug name is livingtree, what happened to caring about that? 

44 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Literally using a joke as the entirety of your argument. Their debug name is livingtree, what happened to caring about that? 

Yup it is a living tree just like iri gem is an opal if it wasn't it wouldn't be called like that in the console. Why isn't it called that in game? Maybe because survivors don't know how opal looks like? I mean if I would show you a random gem would you be able to tell me exactly how it's called? Just like wooden thing. Characters don't know what these things are but they have to name them somehow.

42 minutes ago, _Ellat_ said:

Yup it is a living tree just like iri gem is an opal if it wasn't it wouldn't be called like that in the console. Why isn't it called that in game? Maybe because survivors don't know how opal looks like? I mean if I would show you a random gem would you be able to tell me exactly how it's called? Just like wooden thing. Characters don't know what these things are but they have to name them somehow.

You think the survivors are coming up with names like totally normal tree, malbatross, codex umbra, nightmare fuel, moon gleam, iridescent gem, and magiluminesence but they don't know simple words like ruby? They know the difference between rock and flint but don't know what to call a gem that's red?

The survivors aren't naming the items, some of them have really confused quotes acting like they don't even know what things are and others do name or identify them in quotes with things that aren't their name.

i always like how the stuff in the constant is called by how a survivor recognises them

like how the eye of terror isnt called eye of cthulu because that would imply the survivors know about cthulu

calling the orange "space gem" would kill the inmersion that is not knowing what powers it can bend

4 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

You think the survivors are coming up with names like totally normal tree, malbatross, codex umbra, nightmare fuel, moon gleam,  and magiluminesence but they don't know simple words like ruby? They know the difference between rock and flint but don't know what to call a gem that's red?

The survivors aren't naming the items, some of them have really confused quotes acting like they don't even know what things are and others do name or identify them in quotes with things that aren't their name.

I never said they don't know a word "ruby". All I'm saying is they could not know that a red gem is a ruby because it could be any red gem?

And yes sure they could not know that it is a ruby. For instance the only one who sees a resemblence to real life gems is wickerbottom.

But still I'm not trying to imply that all of those 6 gems are real life gems. I mean they could be real life gems imbued with some kind of magic.

I don't know. But what I'm trying to say is that iridescent gem doesn't look like any other gem than an opal and if it wasn't an opal it wouldn't be called like that in the console. For all I know they could be real gems with dst own take on them. Just like an animal called rabbit is not really a rabbity because rabbits don't have horns yet that's what they are called.

2 minutes ago, _Ellat_ said:

But what I'm trying to say is that iridescent gem doesn't look like any other gem than an opal and if it wasn't an opal it wouldn't be called like that in the console.

That is not true. The monkeybarrel is called that because it used to be a barrel, but now it's a pod. The minotaur is called that because he is based on the myth of the minotaur's labyrinth. The preciousgemopal is called that because its appearance is based on an opal. Why would opals be completely non-existent in the world and the only way to create them is to take a yellow gem and imbue it with the power of the moon? That isn't how opals are made and opals aren't magical. The only actual evidence there is that it's an opal is that it looks like one, but how something looks means nothing. Butterflies look like butterflies and they're even named butterflies, but they aren't. They're flying flowers. 

13 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

That is not true. The monkeybarrel is called that because it used to be a barrel, but now it's a pod. The minotaur is called that because he is based on the myth of the minotaur's labyrinth. The preciousgemopal is called that because its appearance is based on an opal. Why would opals be completely non-existent in the world and the only way to create them is to take a yellow gem and imbue it with the power of the moon? That isn't how opals are made and opals aren't magical. The only actual evidence there is that it's an opal is that it looks like one, but how something looks means nothing. Butterflies look like butterflies and they're even named butterflies, but they aren't. They're flying flowers. 

True

They were, in fact in game files they are still called their real names(for example yellow gem is topaz iirc), before some version of game they were called by names but later they were changed to what we have now so people don't have to remember their names

15 minutes ago, Eughstein said:

They were, in fact in game files they are still called their real names(for example yellow gem is topaz iirc), before some version of game they were called by names but later they were changed to what we have now so people don't have to remember their names

Ah, I see, good to know

2 hours ago, Eughstein said:

GOD DAMN IT I KNEW I WAS RIGHT 

doug-walker-crying-on-the-computer.gif

Archived