Scypham

Overview/Explanation of Pirate Raids (And why people want their frequency changed)

Capybara007    1581

Prime ape needs his attack speed reduced, thats it for me

and trinkets should NOT stun you

Edited by Capybara007
  • Like 1

goblinball    1351

Great post, however I noticed an extremely tiny inconsistency:

5 hours ago, Scypham said:

At day 61 and above it's 4 monkeys

After day 81 (you get 4-5 Powder Monkeys by now)

The TLDR says it takes 81 days to get maximum monkey, which contradicts what was previously said in the post.

Again, it’s a really good post and certainly took time to make, I just want to point this out so it can hopefully get fixed and ppl won’t be confused or misled.

• Like 1

StongBab    7

I think playability is an important thing even in our, ahem, uncompromising survival game. The raids are still by all means something to look out for and like all things in this game, they only seem less scary or annoying because you have the knowledge of how they can be handled

(before you say this game shouldn't be player friendly, I'm talking about game design wise. You can't argue that the game design shouldn't be player friendly because it's supposed to be hard. Even difficulty can be done tastefully rather than artificially.)

I don't understand this idea. If an unprepared player that doesn't know how raids work tries to fight the pirates, they are going to get killed. That's fine; next time they encounter pirates, they'll know not to fight them, or they'll know that fighting them takes serious preparation. Maybe they'll eventually try to find a different way to approach it, which will lead to the discovery of cannons or the banana thing. This trial and error is a core part of Don't Starve's DNA. The game doesn't tell you what to do about pirate raids the same way it doesn't tell you how to deal with hounds or winter or Krampus. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

SonicDen220    3465

It blows my mind how 4 monkeys was already overwhelming, but Klei made it so now you get 4 + a 70% chance for a fifth one. Why?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

lakhnish    6169

All of my waterlogged biomes are in range of these monkeys and I've come to hate my world because of it as I've been constantly attacked by them.

Heck, even my Crab King is in range and I wanted to turn him into my Sea Weed farm, but those plans are dashed b/c when these Pirates row into Sea Weeds, the Sea Weeds will attack me, not the damn pirate that bumped into them in the first place!!!

It is to the point where I will always carry bananas on me to just to not deal with them at all since the loot just isn't worth this massive annoyance. If the bananas weren't an option, I would have just disabled the mechanic, which is a saying a lot as I never disable mechanics unless it's events.

Why does it have to be another monkey and why must the Prime Mate attack so fast?

Edited by lakhnish
ck
  • Sad 1
  • Sad Dupe 3

WhackE    1001
15 hours ago, Owlrust said:

"Uncompromising Survival Game" 

HE SAID IT HE SAID IT AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

• Haha 1
  • Wavey 1
  • GL Happy 2

QuartzBeam    8354
1 hour ago, WhackE said:

HE SAID IT HE SAID IT AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

unknown.png?width=276&height=406

• Haha 2
  • Wavey 1
  • GL Happy 1

Cloakingsumo198    2272
14 hours ago, Frogzard said:

machine scrap on their island to set up security lights in the water surrounding the island in the same radius as the raids currently are? They would rotate and project lights on the water that you have to sail around otherwise you get caught and raided. There could also be other obstacles around like barrels that explode if you run into them.

Brilliant absolutely brilliant add some metal gear solid stealth mechanics to make avoiding the pirates an actual possibility.

Scypham    471

IMPORTANT UPDATE: They ended up changing the cooldown on the PIrate Raids when moving to the main branch, alongside changing the weight in the inner circle and the chance in the middle circle. I've updated the post as best as I could to accomodate for that now, I do believe the cooldown is reasonable as of now so I've retracted all my complaints regarding that. 

The TLDR is updated so you don't need to read the whole post, you can just check there for an updated version now for anyone who's previously read it. @lakhnish I feel like you in particular would appreciate these changes lol. The monkey quantity hasn't changed, nor has the Prime Mate, but it's definitely much less likely to happen unless you're near the island, which is reasonable. 

• Like 3

Frogzard    125
9 hours ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

Brilliant absolutely brilliant add some metal gear solid stealth mechanics to make avoiding the pirates an actual possibility.

I was also thinking of ways they could use the unique sailing mechanics to make the combat more enjoyable. Maybe something like if you ram into their boat it'll stun each them for several seconds until attacked, giving you time to pick off one or two of them in a one on one until the rest recover.

• Like 2
  • Sanity 1

GelatinousCube    1419
On 6/30/2022 at 7:12 AM, Scypham said:

Well, tanking seems to have okay results. What about a pan flute? Well, the monkeys have herd mentality. That is to say, they'll wake up early once you hit one of them. You can kill about 2 before they fully wake up but then that means you'd likely need at least 2 uses of a pan flute for 1 raid. That'sssss okay until you remember the frequency of these as well. Pan flute might not be super used but the frequency of use in this scenario would actually be quite a bit high.

Amazing guide!!!

Just want to add to this section that you can use a panflute and kill the Prime Ape first and this won't wake up the Powder Monkeys which can be pretty handy. Means you can take on the strongest enemy in the raid and kill him quickly before facing the powder monkeys and he's also the only one who can help them escape on their ship too so killing him strands them where they are.

On 6/30/2022 at 7:12 AM, Scypham said:

Followers? Followers would work! The issue is that if you turn into Wonkey then Pigmen and Bunnymen get hostile to you even if previously loyal. That means you can pretty much just do 1 raid before you need to go to the Moon Quay to get the trinkets off of you. Granted you probably would want to do that anywayyyyy but not everyone would want to and maybe you're Wonkey already so, no followers. Wortox and Webber also get this issue. Wurt doesssss if the King isn't active and the Merms are homeless. 

Oh man I hired Pigs thinking I was a genius only for them to turn on me after I took out two raids in a row, it was pretty brutal...

Thankfully I only had like 3 or 4 and was playing Wig so I just killed them afterwards. There was certainly a moment of panic though and "Et Tu Pigus??"

Memetan    1073

Easy solution, the more cursed trinkets you have in your inventory the more chances to find pirate raids, more people with cursed trinkets in the boat makes even more chances to find them. Wonkey nullifies the chances to get raids if it's in the boat, so you have a way to don't get bothered by pirates, and pirate raids don't drop cursed trinkets when they died, so you won't become Wonkie all the time.

So we have a way to farm the raids and a use for the curse.