Wonz

Do you like farming yet feel it's grasping your time more than it should?

Bundling Wraps are definitely what I use. I use the inspect mod so I can see what's inside. I have like seven wraps filled with stacks of seeds.

Apparently you can just leave a field with the seeds planted and eventually the crops will spoil, but they'll grow back on their own? They might have been lying though, I always harvest immediately so I wouldn't know.

I mean even with just two wraps you can stock up 8 stacks of different seeds, that's all you need early game really.

• Like 1

Wonz    510
1 hour ago, EighteenXVIII said:

you can just leave a field with the seeds planted and eventually the crops will spoil

This is hella more uncomfortable than bundling wraps.

Cheggf    9505

Was expecting to see another thread acting like getting giant crops is both mandatory and also requires you sitting on top of them for an hour straight without leaving. Yeah the seeds spoiling is a bit annoying. Making something out of bundling wrap and gems would be pretty cool.

I don't think it should be refueled with nmf though, that already goes into so much stuff. You should socket a new orange gem into it to bring it back up to 100%. When it reaches 0% durability the sprite could change to show the orange gem "drained" or shattered.

Mysterious box    2554
2 hours ago, EighteenXVIII said:

Apparently you can just leave a field with the seeds planted and eventually the crops will spoil, but they'll grow back on their own? They might have been lying though, I always harvest immediately so I wouldn't know.

Is true.

• Like 2

Mantispidae    688

It might be a bit goofy, but i'd almost be incline to suggest that 'wild' seeds are prone to spoilage while crop-identified seeds do not. That way the early game food source of newbies getting a grasp on the not starving part remains, but people who are setting up long term farms don't have to fight against time limits. You do technically lose a source of rot, but thats not the worse loss. You could spin it as wild seeds being more sensitive due to not being domestic. You could argue that this gives you a forever food source, but I can think of very few situations where someone whos already got a farm up and running successfully would need to eat their farm seeds that already doesn't have bigger problems.

Or if you wanted to limit it somewhat, seeds for a number of plants have the ability to enter dormancy for long periods of time until good conditions are met. From a gardening standpoint, this lets plants wait a bit before sprouting for better conditions such as temperature or whatever- the downside is that it does increase the number of failed sprouts and when comparing fresh seeds planted vs. seeds that are older, generally 'fresh' works best.

So keep the seed timer, but when they spoil they instead switch to being 'dormant' seeds rather than rot. These can still be planted and grown, but have a chance for failure to grow whereas unspoiled seeds will always have 100% success rate as long as they are cared for. You can keep the food stats of dormant seeds to that of spoiled seeds.

This does come with the bonus of technically 'punishing' players for halting farming without fully forcing them to restart from scratch due to losing all their previously collected seeds.

xDarkSoul18x    314
4 hours ago, EighteenXVIII said:

Bundling Wraps are definitely what I use. I use the inspect mod so I can see what's inside. I have like seven wraps filled with stacks of seeds.

I literally never thought to do that... Wow! Learn something new even today. Now I can save all my pepper seeds for the next winter. :cheerful:

ArubaroBeefalo    19217
4 hours ago, EighteenXVIII said:

they regrow so you can keep in that way the seeds you want

Duck986    3390
6 hours ago, Wonz said:

lazy.png.c7f9da5bfd49f60b730a2993b9550bab.png

how is this item even craftable? you can't take backpacks into your inventory...

Edited by Duck986
  • Like 1

ALCRD    2783

-Turn on Winter's Feast 

-Wrap seeds in presents so they never spoil

-Profit

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

kiwikenobi    1626
8 hours ago, Duck986 said:

how is this item even craftable? you can't take backpacks into your inventory...

It seems to be just an idea at this point. Perhaps it could craft a little upgrade kit that you could apply to the Seed Pack-It, rather than incorporating the bag itself into the recipe.

And if the wiki is correct, and if I'm understanding it correctly, then I think that seeds placed in a Seed Pack-it or Ice Box (they both reduce spoilage rate to 50%) will last for 60 days, up from the default 40. I personally don't feel like having to farm once every sixty days is that bad. That's almost a whole in-game year, certainly enough time for the growing season for any crop to come back, if you got the last harvest just as the season was ending. But maybe I'm not understanding the spoilage rate decrease, and it's a shorter time than that.

Notecja    3269
20 hours ago, EighteenXVIII said:

re-grown crops are unhappy and give only crop back without seed. You would need spam bird to get seeds back

• Sanity 1

Juanasdf    82

Tbh I don't get into farming unless I'm making a giant crop expo. So by the time I want to do that i just throw them into different bundling wraps, each marked by a produce scale with their respective crop.

But I don't think another item for storing seeds should be added, maybe they could allow salt boxes to store them.

Cheggf    9505
12 hours ago, kiwikenobi said:

And if the wiki is correct, and if I'm understanding it correctly, then I think that seeds placed in a Seed Pack-it or Ice Box (they both reduce spoilage rate to 50%) will last for 60 days, up from the default 40

50% less is 100% more so it would double it to 80.

kiwikenobi    1626
1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

50% less is 100% more so it would double it to 80.

That sentence hurts my brain a little bit. ^o^;>

But if that's the case, it's even better than I thought, and I don't think that farming once every eighty days is very often at all. If you want to take a break from farming for a year, you can, and you'll still have all of your seeds in an ice box or seed bag.

Wonz    510
8 minutes ago, kiwikenobi said:

That sentence hurts my brain a little bit. ^o^;>

But if that's the case, it's even better than I thought, and I don't think that farming once every eighty days is very often at all. If you want to take a break from farming for a year, you can, and you'll still have all of your seeds in an ice box or seed bag.

The thing is I want to take break for as long as I want. Getting those seeds is some effort. Saying it's ok if farmers have only a year of break is like saying that bushes/grass/twigs/stonefruits planted in your base should disappear after extended period of time so you have to start the plantation over again.

SuperDonuts    62

An other idea would be to make Premier Gardeneer Hat to make this feature. 

Klei could implement head/chest set.

i mean, you will most likely use the seed packit in same time as (Premier) Gardener Hat. So let’s say we can make a set of them, and we gain bonus of this association.

and if Klei goes that way, I wish Warly chef pouch to become head hat and it gives the spoiler reduction bonus to its associated back pack.

Edited by SuperDonuts

Cheggf    9505
45 minutes ago, SuperDonuts said:

An other idea would be to make Premier Gardeneer Hat to make this feature. 

Klei could implement head/chest set.

i mean, you will most likely use the seed packit in same time as (Premier) Gardener Hat. So let’s say we can make a set of them, and we gain bonus of this association.

and if Klei goes that way, I wish Warly chef pouch to become head hat and it gives the spoiler reduction bonus to its associated back pack.

I don't think permanently dedicating both your head and body slot to making seeds spoil slower would be utilized. 

Mysterious box    2554
1 hour ago, Wonz said:

The thing is I want to take break for as long as I want. Getting those seeds is some effort. Saying it's ok if farmers have only a year of break is like saying that bushes/grass/twigs/stonefruits planted in your base should disappear after extended period of time so you have to start the plantation over again.

This is why the replanting process is a thing you don't lose your seeds even if they're unhappy then you simply feed them to a bird and start farming again when your ready

• Like 1

Wonz    510
12 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Seed packets that would work like bundle wraps, but only for seeds and with a cheap recipe?

Actually gud.