Do you play with DLC?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play with DLC?

• NO, NEVER. Vanilla only, no plans to get the DLC
    • NOT YET. I have only vanilla, but I want to check out the DLC
    • YES, MOSTLY, but sometimes I switch back to pure vanilla
    • YES, ALWAYS. The DLC is best, I will never go back to vanilla games

pether    1441

During mod development I started wondering how many people won't be able to play with the changes if I made them DLC only (eg. Diseases related to DLC plants). Could you please answer the poll so I had more information? This will tell me if I should focus my potential mods around vanilla-only content, or can I go crazy with DLC stuff. Thanks!

Just to clarify - I mean DLC content enabled (spaced out! rocketry and radiation), NOT vanilla style big map. If you play DLC on big map, you are still playing DLC and have access to DLC content.

gabberworld    426

I play both but atm mostly with DLC. i to love play with radiatsioon.  It feels weird without that in base game.

Oni devs still not added mod support to the Epic games soo searching those is not very good. 

• Thanks 1

Sasza22    4091

I prefer the dlc. Having a lot of fun with smaller worlds and rocket stuff. But i miss the meteors. I wish there was a planetoid with meteors accessible earlier than the far away regolith one. I liked the preparations for meteor storms.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

SharraShimada    1222

Only DLC here. I loved the base game back in the days, but DLC with the moonlets and such is much more my kinda game. And all the new stuff they added to DLC exklusively i would miss in base game. 

Rockets in vanilla always feeled... useless.

• Thanks 2

ALCRD    2783

Only base game for me so far.

I am curious but still not 100% convinced to get the dlc.

The reviews aren't encouraging either tho i usually take them with grain of salt.

Edited by ALCRD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gurgel    3159

I may eventually play some base-game again, but with the "classic start" in the DLC, I am not sure. Yes, these maps are even larger in classic, but the DLC works well for me here. I usually do rocketry very late and rocketry is far better in the DLC for me.

That said, I spent a lot of time in classic before the DLC became available and it really is a good game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Steve8    333

I too miss the meteor management a bit, but not enough to not use all the rest. In general the easier access to space is great. And that rocketry isn't just there for its own sake.

• Thanks 1

MsSha    46

I voted Not Yet, I'm mixed. There are a TON of aspects of the DLC that look interesting, enjoyable, challenging and like a lot of fun, but, I'm a bit turned off by the sheer amount of radiation everywhere. I really wish it were more of a second thought, an option, rather then feeling like the second main feature. I understand sources/applications of radiation are *the new* elements/resource and of course are a big deal, but everywhere? Spaced Out is the DLC, Totally Rad was an update. - ONI being so knowledge/experience based customizable is one of the aspects I love about the game. Between the options (difficulty) world settings offer, and the need to build and stabilize your base, your dupe skills and research as you move into different biomes and space (or ignoring them completely), it's both challenging and slightly "learn/move at your own pace" (for the most part) and that's really nice. To my knowledge however, through watching others and LPs, the DLC throws radiation at you from the start if you're ready for it or not.

For the most part, I just don't want to k!ll off/quarantine my shine bugs or have to double/triple wall my worts and spend more power to make them useful in some basic applications. It really just comes down to the changes to base-game aspects for me, I disagree with the devs decision to turn some "standard" critters (shine bugs) and essential when obtaining them is possible plants (wheezeworts) radioactive from the get-go, or any other base-game aspects I may not be recalling in this moment. It would have been nice, and still fitting, for these versions to be additional morphs or mutations dependent on food, atmosphere and/or rad exposure, just as how they've done the other plants in the DLC and are doing the new critter morphs coming in the Fast Friends update (rather stoked for that!). - Possibly even making the radioactive variants a possibility in high rad atmospheres where they'd be likely to exist if the team wanted to get them in game for players to use sooner than mutations are possible, but I digress. 

If an update or a mod made this so, I'd be all in for the DLC. But for now, I'm still exploring in base-game.

• Thanks 1

DolphinWing    165
4 hours ago, MsSha said:

Spaced Out is the DLC, Totally Rad was an update.

That is a feature update during development process before release. So it is not just an update similar to "Fast Friends" in the coming week.

You can't turn off radiation but you can set more radiation resistant of your dupes when you start a new game. 20220529100921_1.thumb.jpg.eda6c79db87b4bdc0448c69581f8669b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

pether    1441
11 hours ago, MsSha said:

DLC throws radiation at you from the start if you're ready for it or not.

yeah, but that's safe amount. unless you make your dupe stay whole cycle next to shine bug reactor, you will be OK. In my opinion, radiation and radiation sickness are perfectly balanced beween fun-challenge-danger aspects. Ofc people can have different opinions there

• Like 3

18 hours ago, MsSha said:

I voted Not Yet, I'm mixed. There are a TON of aspects of the DLC that look interesting, enjoyable, challenging and like a lot of fun, but, I'm a bit turned off by the sheer amount of radiation everywhere. I really wish it were more of a second thought, an option, rather then feeling like the second main feature. I understand sources/applications of radiation are *the new* elements/resource and of course are a big deal, but everywhere? Spaced Out is the DLC, Totally Rad was an update. - ONI being so knowledge/experience based customizable is one of the aspects I love about the game. Between the options (difficulty) world settings offer, and the need to build and stabilize your base, your dupe skills and research as you move into different biomes and space (or ignoring them completely), it's both challenging and slightly "learn/move at your own pace" (for the most part) and that's really nice. To my knowledge however, through watching others and LPs, the DLC throws radiation at you from the start if you're ready for it or not.

For the most part, I just don't want to k!ll off/quarantine my shine bugs or have to double/triple wall my worts and spend more power to make them useful in some basic applications. It really just comes down to the changes to base-game aspects for me, I disagree with the devs decision to turn some "standard" critters (shine bugs) and essential when obtaining them is possible plants (wheezeworts) radioactive from the get-go, or any other base-game aspects I may not be recalling in this moment. It would have been nice, and still fitting, for these versions to be additional morphs or mutations dependent on food, atmosphere and/or rad exposure, just as how they've done the other plants in the DLC and are doing the new critter morphs coming in the Fast Friends update (rather stoked for that!). - Possibly even making the radioactive variants a possibility in high rad atmospheres where they'd be likely to exist if the team wanted to get them in game for players to use sooner than mutations are possible, but I digress. 

If an update or a mod made this so, I'd be all in for the DLC. But for now, I'm still exploring in base-game.

Radiation is actually very easy to deal with. The only dangerous sources you'll find are Crashed Satellites. All other sources of radiation are negligible. The rads get flushed out at a rate of 100 rads/cycle.

• Like 3

Sasza22    4091
21 hours ago, MsSha said:

I'm a bit turned off by the sheer amount of radiation everywhere

The thing is that radiation isn`t everywhere. It`s in space but all the rocks above blocks it from your base. It is an issue during space travel but only if you set for a higher radiation difficulty. It is produced by wheezeworts and shinebugs but that`s in one location and that only matters if the dupe spends a lot of time next to it (like half a cylce in one spot). Radiation is needed for research but it`s easy to contain it in one point far from the working dupes.

Radiaiton isn`t a huge danger most of the time even on the radiated planetoid.

• Like 3

MsSha    46
On 5/28/2022 at 9:14 PM, DolphinWing said:

That is a feature update during development process before release. So it is not just an update similar to "Fast Friends" in the coming week.

You can't turn off radiation but you can set more radiation resistant of your dupes when you start a new game. 

Oh no, I understand Totally Rad was a much larger and more in depth update. I'm not comparing it to Fast Friends, more just wishing they had treated the DLC morphs in the same way they are those coming in Fast Friends. I wish Shine Bugs didn't become radioactive with the DLC and instead had a new highly rad variant that could be breed or found in the wild in high rad areas. Likewise for wheezeworts. (Imho, DLCs shouldn't change base-games, but add to and expand them.)

Thank you for pointing out the world gen settings, I should have figured as much but honestly haven't gone looking. I appreciate you sharing. 

On 5/29/2022 at 3:48 AM, pether said:

yeah, but that's safe amount. unless you make your dupe stay whole cycle next to shine bug reactor, you will be OK. In my opinion, radiation and radiation sickness are perfectly balanced beween fun-challenge-danger aspects. Ofc people can have different opinions there

On 5/29/2022 at 11:37 AM, HyperionSniper said:

Radiation is actually very easy to deal with. The only dangerous sources you'll find are Crashed Satellites. All other sources of radiation are negligible. The rads get flushed out at a rate of 100 rads/cycle.

You're both right, and from what I've seen through youtube it does seem rather manageable. I just can't help but to wish it were it's own biome, an area to work towards going into, other asteroids that are radioactive to prepare for and go visit (as it pretty much is when it comes to rad levels I believe?).

When Spaced Out was first announced as becoming a thing, I was so stoked!! More space travel, more exploration! When the Totally Rad update was announced, I thought "Oh cool, that will be a fun new aspect to toy with".. however once I realized how deep Totally Rad went into the entire DLC, I've been a little disappointed. I was so stoked for a more space exploration experience, and was hoping radiation was more of a second thought rather than a second key feature. (But that's me, and that's not to say I wont eventually buy it, lol.)

On 5/29/2022 at 2:16 PM, Sasza22 said:

The thing is that radiation isn`t everywhere. It`s in space but all the rocks above blocks it from your base. It is an issue during space travel but only if you set for a higher radiation difficulty. It is produced by wheezeworts and shinebugs but that`s in one location and that only matters if the dupe spends a lot of time next to it (like half a cylce in one spot). Radiation is needed for research but it`s easy to contain it in one point far from the working dupes.

Radiaiton isn`t a huge danger most of the time even on the radiated planetoid.

Tbh, I just wish the DLC added to but didn't change base-game aspects. Part of the fun for me is building a more "natural" home/main base, making use of the surrounding areas, plants and critters.. Nyctophobic dupe? Guess who's getting a shine bug friend (with a deco bonus) and a corner room! Letting shine bugs eat the minuscule amount that they do is nothing to have wild grown gristle berries on the menu for free. And when I have a drecko ranch or two running, wheezeworts are so handy for a bit of cooling in the ranch and other areas around the base from time to time.

Everything else about the DLC looks like a lot of fun and I'm sure I'll eventually have to get my hands on that new starmap and the other mechanics! Right now I'm still a little salty that that means a couple of my favorite go-to's will cause issue for my dupes... I don't want to find new ways of building my base, I want to get them exploring space. XD

Edited by MsSha
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 3:53 PM, MsSha said:

Oh no, I understand Totally Rad was a much larger and more in depth update. I'm not comparing it to Fast Friends, more just wishing they had treated the DLC morphs in the same way they are those coming in Fast Friends. I wish Shine Bugs didn't become radioactive with the DLC and instead had a new highly rad variant that could be breed or found in the wild in high rad areas. Likewise for wheezeworts. (Imho, DLCs shouldn't change base-games, but add to and expand them.)

Thank you for pointing out the world gen settings, I should have figured as much but honestly haven't gone looking. I appreciate you sharing. 

You're both right, and from what I've seen through youtube it does seem rather manageable. I just can't help but to wish it were it's own biome, an area to work towards going into, other asteroids that are radioactive to prepare for and go visit (as it pretty much is when it comes to rad levels I believe?).

When Spaced Out was first announced as becoming a thing, I was so stoked!! More space travel, more exploration! When the Totally Rad update was announced, I thought "Oh cool, that will be a fun new aspect to toy with".. however once I realized how deep Totally Rad went into the entire DLC, I've been a little disappointed. I was so stoked for a more space exploration experience, and was hoping radiation was more of a second thought rather than a second key feature. (But that's me, and that's not to say I wont eventually buy it, lol.)

Tbh, I just wish the DLC added to but didn't change base-game aspects. Part of the fun for me is building a more "natural" home/main base, making use of the surrounding areas, plants and critters.. Nyctophobic dupe? Guess who's getting a shine bug friend (with a deco bonus) and a corner room! Letting shine bugs eat the minuscule amount that they do is nothing to have wild grown gristle berries on the menu for free. And when I have a drecko ranch or two running, wheezeworts are so handy for a bit of cooling in the ranch and other areas around the base from time to time.

Everything else about the DLC looks like a lot of fun and I'm sure I'll eventually have to get my hands on that new starmap and the other mechanics! Right now I'm still a little salty that that means a couple of my favorite go-to's will cause issue for my dupes... I don't want to find new ways of building my base, I want to get them exploring space. XD

Personally I enjoy the challenge of getting rads & having to generate more power to get higher-level research. It gives an incentive to expand. Also, my base is peppered with shine bugs and wheezeworts, and the radiation is actually useful, not harmful - it kills germs and the duplicants aren't around them long enough to get injured.

goboking    2297
2 minutes ago, HyperionSniper said:

Also, my base is peppered with shine bugs and wheezeworts, and the radiation is actually useful, not harmful

I used to use shine bugs as decor boosts in my colony, but now that dupes do the "radiation bad!" animation every time they run past a shine bug I've had to kill that idea.  Radioactive shine bugs should have been relegated to a new or existing morph, in my humble opinion.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, goboking said:

I used to use shine bugs as decor boosts in my colony, but now that dupes do the "radiation bad!" animation every time they run past a shine bug I've had to kill that idea.  Radioactive shine bugs should have been relegated to a new or existing morph, in my humble opinion.

Personally, I don't have that problem, and I have a shine bug farm spreading sun bugs everywhere throughout my base. I must be lucky. It does happen with wheezeworts though. I usually have smaller, more efficient colonies and play on the easy mode cold planets so it doesn't really affect me that much anyways.

goboking    2297
54 minutes ago, HyperionSniper said:

Personally, I don't have that problem, and I have a shine bug farm spreading sun bugs everywhere throughout my base. I must be lucky. It does happen with wheezeworts though. I usually have smaller, more efficient colonies and play on the easy mode cold planets so it doesn't really affect me that much anyways.

Maybe it's a product of playing on the max radiation setting then.

Just now, goboking said:

Maybe it's a product of playing on the max radiation setting then.

I play with all difficulty settings maxed - it might be a bug on your end, because I don't think they're supposed to react to lower levels of radiation.

blakemw    300

It is nice how the DLC has been very well received.

What I like about the DLC and why I don't ever feel inclined to go back to vanilla:

1. Radiation: It's mostly a boon and isn't too bothersome. I enjoy the new research tree.
  2. Rockets and Interplanetary payload launchers: They are fun.
  3. Smaller asteroids. I like feeling at least a little bit cramped.
  4. Grub Grubs: they are a bit overpowered but I still like them and they improve the efficiency of farming relative to ranching which doesn't hurt game balance.
  5. No freaking meteors (on most planetoids), I despised the meteor game mechanics.
  6. Reduced sunlight levels (on most planetoids) effectively a nerf to solar panels.

What I don't care so much about:

1. Plant morphs. I find it hard to believe anyone really enjoys these, the whole system seems immensely clunky and inadequately rewarding.
  2. Plug Slugs. 
  3. It's often easier, especially with teleporters enabled. Being easier isn't really something ONI needs.
  4. Resource and often wild critter abundance is stupidly high.

Overall, some games have a "purity of balance" that gets upset by DLCs introducing basically better and overpowered stuff. While Spaced Out does introduce a few better and overpowered things like Grub Grubs, for the most part it just introduces more fun things to fool around with and it also makes some positive balance corrections like I like the solar panels balance a lot better in Spaced Out, where they aren't a nuisance to use because no freaking meteors, but they don't produce much power.

• Like 1

Primalflower    4719
5 hours ago, blakemw said:

Plant morphs. I find it hard to believe anyone really enjoys these, the whole system seems immensely clunky and inadequately rewarding.

mutations are great fun to use. They can definitely be difficult with no traits on a world, your only big options in those scenarios are making use of the space radiation, wheezeworts, or the rather precarious thought of farming directly next to a reactor. But those options instantly open up when you consider crashed sattelites. I enjoy it a lot with that!

image.png.f3c23a4b5f309c7b59fba89281838bd1.png

• Big Ups 1