Frosty_Mentos

Consider: reworking seasonal ambience

Baark0    1783
20 hours ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Make rain drops start from tiny and few drops to more heavy showers.

pretty sure this is how rain works in spring already

• Like 2

Waoling    1208

Spring breeze, Summer dust Autumn leaf, and Winter hail.

Edited by Waoling
  • Like 4

LiamAshvinn001    447

Sub-seasons is always a nice idea. Maybe in Spring storms can happen in the ocean, in Autumn a new event were nothing happens and Winter blizzards. If u want some visual I recommend using colour cubes mod its really good!

• Like 4

Empa505    326

frog rain in ocean, i just want to see more frogs fall into depths of the ocean and never come back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Big Ups 1

Falkenpelz    3176

Just give us the scaling insanity ambience back for a start, Klei! In this game, I WANT to slowly start hearing voices when I'm on 30% sanity and not just have it all drop at me once I am batsh*t crazy..

• Like 4

Mike23Ua    14563

I bought an Xbox Series S nearly 2 years ago, and till this very date: There aren’t any games worth playing on the damn thing. 
To FURTHER rub salt into this Wound- Many X/S games are not backwards compatible, which means to play with your friends on last Gen platforms, you probably still need to play a game on a last Gen platform because SOME games get free X/S upgrades that make them no longer compatible with last Gen crossplay.

The things OP is asking for are the graphical, Audio, visuals & physics effects I would 120% fully expect to be available on Series X/S sort of a DST Expanded & Enhanced edition if you want to call it that.

However… that just raises a million questions Klei doesn’t want to answer-

Such as would a Series X/S enhanced version of DST still allow my last Gen friends to join my world or will they be locked out of playing with me?

Would the kind of updates the OP is asking for even be possible on older platforms? some PCs struggle just to play the game with some floating blinking heads in the menu screen- so I can imagine they would struggle with OPs suggestion.

If it’s possible- I’m all in for it, but not if I’m going to have to choose between this “Expanded & Enhanced Edition” or still being able to play with my friends.

Frosty_Mentos    2467
14 hours ago, Baark0 said:

pretty sure this is how rain works in spring already

no it just starts immediately with slightly heavier pour instead of more visually shown that it's actual heavy rain. Even heavy rain looks like just maybe bigger droplets without that much rain happening.

• Like 1

GelatinousCube    1319
On 5/17/2022 at 7:47 PM, Empa505 said:

frog rain in ocean, i just want to see more frogs fall into depths of the ocean and never come back.

Frog rain on a boat would be absolutely brutal though..

Nowhere to run to baby, nowhere to hide!

Empa505    326
4 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

Frog rain on a boat would be absolutely brutal though..

did i stutter? :wilson_cool:

• Like 2

Catteflyterpill    1329
On 5/17/2022 at 8:46 AM, Mike23Ua said:

snip

This doesn't feel like the right thread for this? Seems like you have a personal grip with the Series S's compatibility when this is more about seasonal ambience. DST isn't a very demanding game, so I'm sure any visual updates or changes in season ambience wouldn't be too much for last gen consoles to handle. 

As for the thread, I definitely having more events in each season would be interesting. Like foggy days in the autumn, similar to the morning sea in Shipwrecked. Even if it's a prominent threat like a winter blizzard or just some aesthetic changes, it would definitely help to make the seasons not feel so repititive if there's different situations occuring throughout. 

• Like 3

Mike23Ua    14563
17 minutes ago, Catteflyterpill said:

This doesn't feel like the right thread for this? Seems like you have a personal grip with the Series S's compatibility when this is more about seasonal ambience. DST isn't a very demanding game, so I'm sure any visual updates or changes in season ambience wouldn't be too much for last gen consoles to handle. 

As for the thread, I definitely having more events in each season would be interesting. Like foggy days in the autumn, similar to the morning sea in Shipwrecked. Even if it's a prominent threat like a winter blizzard or just some aesthetic changes, it would definitely help to make the seasons not feel so repititive if there's different situations occuring throughout. 

I believe you misread my post so I will shorten it to a more understandable and on topic version- there are some players on PC who play DST who’s PC/Laptops would literally bog down and have poor performance over something as simple as some floating blinking head icons in the compendium, there are ALSO some PC players who can’t even run the game with both the Surface & the Caves active at the same time.

I do not play on PC I play on Xbox, but I know very well the differences between a low performance version of a game (GTA Xbox 360) vs a High performance version of the game (GTA Xbox One/Series X/S)

To simplify this into a TL:DR the older software has limitations and in CONSOLE games this can be contributed to things like Player amount count (refer to Nintendo Switch version of DST) Scenery/Ambience- Play State of Decay 2 on an Xbox One and then play that same game on your Series X/S

The difference is in draw distance, lighting, foliage etc.. but it is still the same game: It’s just one console is powerful enough to pull and do more- while the other is not.

My post was very much on topic with the OPs post, because when discussing things like Ambience, more foliage etc… you have to eventually ask the question of great- but can the limited to only 4 players Nintendo Switch pull it?

The answer that question is most likely no.. and only high end PCs/Consoles would be capable of the features/settings.

Edited by Mike23Ua

Catteflyterpill    1329
1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

I believe you misread my post so I will shorten it to a more understandable and on topic version- there are some players on PC who play DST who’s PC/Laptops would literally bog down and have poor performance over something as simple as some floating blinking head icons in the compendium, there are ALSO some PC players who can’t even run the game with both the Surface & the Caves active at the same time.

I do not play on PC I play on Xbox, but I know very well the differences between a low performance version of a game (GTA Xbox 360) vs a High performance version of the game (GTA Xbox One/Series X/S)

To simplify this into a TL:DR the older software has limitations and in CONSOLE games this can be contributed to things like Player amount count (refer to Nintendo Switch version of DST) Scenery/Ambience- Play State of Decay 2 on an Xbox One and then play that same game on your Series X/S

The difference is in draw distance, lighting, foliage etc.. but it is still the same game: It’s just one console is powerful enough to pull and do more- while the other is not.

My post was very much on topic with the OPs post, because when discussing things like Ambience, more foliage etc… you have to eventually ask the question of great- but can the limited to only 4 players Nintendo Switch pull it?

The answer that question is most likely no.. and only high end PCs/Consoles would be capable of the features/settings.

Your shortened version was lengthier than the original topic. And I understand your points of different hardware not being able to run the game as well, but the game is very lightweight. Look at the system requirements on Steam. Often VFX and ambience can be lowered even if you have a potato to play on. Your previous point had seemed like a mini rant about Xbox compatibility rather than addressing the processing strain of increasing seasonal effects. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

snip

Wouldn't this be as simple to fix as adding a button to turn off these VFX? 

It's not like caves are forced to be enabled, why should these be any different? And unlike caves, VFX are only client side.

• Like 3

Mike23Ua    14563
7 minutes ago, Beeremy the III said:

It's not like caves are forced to be enabled, why should these be any different? And unlike caves, VFX are only client side.

Your only considering very specifically the PC version of this game- because over on Xbox we have NEVER had the option to disable caves.

Although- It would be cool if I could. And/Or host a caves only world without a Surface.

On PC maybe “Maybe” you can change your performance settings, but what about Xbox/PlayStation/Nintendo, how would those work?

Mantispidae    650

Its something I've brought up myself before and would love to see a 'focused' update for in the same vein as the recent UI update.

The groundwork for the seasons is all there, and a big update around adjusting and adding to their mechanics to add more flavor to them all sounds great, adding little ambiance things in addition would fit right in. The games being going a long time, and I see no reason to not bump up some of the older things in terms of their quality/diversity. 

Cheggf    8683
5 hours ago, Beeremy the III said:

I think Hamlet has an option to disable seeing the rainforest canopies for performance reasons so the precedent is already set. Unless that was a mod and I'm misremembering...

• Like 1