Chalky

Clothing items and backpacks at the same time

Blunty_x    253

I mean, I'm with it. For me the use will really be aesthetic only, since a Thermal can keep you from freezing if u overheat before leaving your base. I've also come to appreciate the Luxury Fan for Summer alongside the Eyebrella. I suppose using clothing items along with a backpack can let you keep wearing your helmet. 

• Like 1

xDarkSoul18x    293

Sounds kind of cool, but I'm with Cheggf on this one. It used to be a huge problem for me as well but once I learned how to manage my inventory a bit more. . .The only time I really ever use a backpack is early game, resource runs etc. I might drop a backpack by certain locations like outside the ruins and make a kind of trade route to drop off goods, return back drop backpack and continue to use armor. I like armor because I'm pretty reckless.

• Like 2

reallychina    867

No. This would make summer and winter trivial. 

And temperature is very easy to manage in dst with thermal stones only. So body clothing is a bad habit anyway.

Edited by reallychina
  • Like 2

ArubaroBeefalo    18341
4 hours ago, EighteenXVIII said:

Personally I do use the extra equipment slot mod, it just makes the game less tedious for me.

I mostly disagree with the other posters here. 99% of players wear a backpack 99% of the time. Because you get 8 slots that you can put extra armor in, but body clothes have to be worn the whole time to protect from the weather, so that's the key difference. It's never a choice between armor or inventory slots, you get to carry both because you put on the armor whenever you need to fight and just switch back.

What you don't get to do is have and the extra 8 inventory slots and wear body slot clothing. Now, because you can put clothing in the head slot easily between the Eyebrella and Beefalo Hat, there's basically no incentive to use a Hibearnation Vest or a Rain Coat.

So in that sense I do think it's better to just give people the option to wear both, and with almost 2,6 million subscribers, rivaling mods like Geo Placement, Combined Status and Minimap HUD, which are hardly mods that "break the game", a lot of people feel the same way. It doesn't break the game because people are carrying armor and backpacks together as it stands anyway, and it just gives people the option to instead carry clothing and a backpack. I hope this makes sense.

is simple, if you want to use backpack in summer and winter you use thermal stone/hats, if you want more weather protection just dont use your backpack and learn inventory management. Wearing a backpack and only needing to warm up 2 times per winter doesnt feel right

if you want body armor just equip it and later pick up your backpack, having 24/7 armor+backpack is silly in a game where being hit with armor means getting only ~5 of ~150hp lose

doesnt matter the ammount of people that use that mod, ad populum fallacies dont have room here when is just because that mod makes the game easier and simplier which is what a lot of people look after playing: "easy hormone rewards by "beating" games" and less in a world were certain sh*tty games are played by many for their simplicity (brain traps) or because you can pay to win, low quality music becomes popular and maaaaany other examples inside and outside of the videogame industry

try to use body cloths along with head slots and tell if will be right that to be allowed to be used with backpacks because for me makes no sense at all, klei balanced it quite well. And i didnt mentioned other awful modded slots like being able to wear amulets

reallychina    867
1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

A long time ago someone suggested that all torso clothing items had a few extra storage slots, and depending the tier of the clothing, the amount of slots. But never as much as a backpack.

I like that idea better.

Thats actually not a terrible idea but it would make sense for winter clothing only, summer clothing is all about being minimalistic.

Nothing too crazy, maybe 1 slot for breezy, 2 for puffy and 3 for hibernation.

Id still personally never use them over magi, but it would encourage more casual players to do inventory management and ultimately transition to magi.

Edited by reallychina

Well-met    7078
22 hours ago, Chalky said:

I've noticed that not many people use items like puffy vest and summerfrest, as most people including me wear backpacks. Clothing items should be worn alongside with backpacks, but not armor. This would make body insulation items more useful. 

There's a mod called extra equip slots that does this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=375850593

Having to make choices is an important part of gameplay. I understand most teens have a attention disorder nowadays but that's not how things work unfortunately. You can't have everything you want.

anyway thermal stones in a backpack already do this

Edited by Well-met

Mike23Ua    14563

One of the biggest problems “clothing” has is you need to sacrifice your backpack slot for it- which in of itself isn’t that big of a deal: and while playing SINGLE PLAYER Don’t Starve, I had no issue at all of ever throwing my backpack down to equip Armor or a Clothing item.

However in a game with Multiplayer, needing to drop your items on the ground is more often than not.. NOT the smartest thing to do.

To further drive this point home, Wendy use to need to drop Abigail’s flower onto the ground and then kill an animal near to it to get Abby to Spawn, during this time.. Anyone can snatch up the flower- Hence Reworked Wendy where the flower should never under any circumstances need to leave Wendy’s Inventory.

I am hoping that Klei will give Maxwell the same treatment (Aka being able to hold the book in his hand and summon from it rather than needing to drop it on the ground for someone to steal away..)

Which leads me back to the problem of clothing & backpacks.

IF Klei would patch the game so that a players Backpack could not be picked up by another player

(Aka That belongs to Warly…)

Then I’m 150% sure you’d see more players ditching backpacks to use clothing because they’re loots is safe from thieves.

In it’s current form however.. most people ignore clothing as to not lose their backpacks to other players.

But I don’t think being able to wear armor and carry backpacks should be the right way to fix it..

Baark0    1783
On 5/15/2022 at 11:53 AM, Cheggf said:

and he can't follow you through the caves).

damn that sucks, how will i survive summer in the caves now?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Spep    795

Yeaaaah, most body slot items are pretty garbage overall, considering you have to sacrifice one of the 3-4 chest slot items that are absolutely godlike for... winter insulation, oh joy.

Seriously, the only time you ever want to swap off a backpack is in combat, and the only 3 chest slot items you want to switch off to are the magi, bone armor, or night armor. or marble if you are playing wolfgang and only wolfgang i guess.

Good reason to differentiate chest armor and clothing, armor im not sure what the magi is so il just call it an """armor""" is great in combat, clothing on the other hand is completely worthless in absolutely every scenario.

Egg man is correct but also completely misread it.

Cheggf    8685
2 hours ago, Baark0 said:

damn that sucks, how will i survive summer in the caves now?

It is possible to come out of the caves after entering them.

• Sanity 1

Mysterious box    2026

Personally I don't think extra equip slots is a good idea but I do think either seasonal bodyslots need buffed or seasonal hats need nerfed simply because even if you ignore backpacks there's just much better non seasonal body slot items with the hibernation being the most useful of the bodyslot seasonal items in my opinion. Seasonal body slot items aren't bad tho I'm not saying that there's just not much incentive to use them over their often superior hat variants even less so with the body slot alternatives.

• Like 1

Lumine04    185
10 hours ago, Spep said:

clothing on the other hand is completely worthless in absolutely every scenario.

The most wrong and incorrect thing Ive heard today

• Like 4