Sign in to follow this  
sarahnorthway

Fire bugs

I had a basic fire go out on me, once. It seems like time doesn't advance for them when they're offscreen, so I could light a fire then come back five days later and find it still waiting for me to toss on a couple beefalo pies and get a bonfire going again.I also found a bug with one of my two stone firepits. When I walked to the edge of the visible area from it, everything would go suddenly and completely black (possibly because the fire burned down one step). I'd about-face and beeline back towards the fire, but no light would appear until I was practically standing on it. Then suddenly poof - light everywhere again. This was consistent (and scary), but only happened with the one pit.Also, maybe related - Colin says if you walk through the pig's fire, everything goes dark.

Kevin    504

Good finds.For performance reasons, we put items to sleep when they are far away from Wilson (currently this is set to 64m). I'm going to have to change the way that the fire consumes its fuel so that it keeps happening when the object is asleep.The current light rendering system has a couple of issues in it, which we're looking into. What's probably going on is that there are other lights around (fireflies?) and you're hitting the upper limit of how many lights we render at once (a measly 8). I think JLK (our rendering guy) has a crazy scheme to make it work a lot better.

Sign in to follow this