nimzowitsch10

What is so hard about making the klei public servers able to save after an update??

nimzowitsch10    122

My question is why do devs opt to not address the fact that the official public servers do not save after an update? Honest question, Is it really hard to configure a dedicated server to save after an update? I've been steady complaining about this for a while now and the devs say it's coming but it's been almost 2 months now. It's hard enough to play on the pub servers with random crashes that reset a world to day 1 but the fact that they don't even save after constant updates is really demoralizing. I used to play pub servers to over day 800+ with other random ppl that play on pub servers but now that's not even possible anymore because of the problems I listed above and aIot of people that used to frequent pub servers have quit the game. I know everyone is just gonna say play on my own server but why does everyone shield the devs from criticism when there is a genuine complaint?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wavey 1

nimzowitsch10    122

idk I think a beginner could look at a day 800 megabase and think hm that looks cool as hell maybe I could do that one day. If someone seriously refunds a game because of a server I would assume that person didn't want to play this game in the first place

• Like 1

nimzowitsch10    122

@00petar00

Official klei servers are used for whatever people want, why do you think klei leaves griefers alone? It's not specifically designed for newer players or anything. It's essentially an anarchy server that noobs can light bases on fire, people could make bases on hermit island, and random shenanigans, thats why I enjoy playing them.

If someone seriously uses public servers as their first experience playing DST they definitely are going to refund the game regardless if the devs add a save feature because people grief and steal stuff from people's bases on a daily. It's not beginner friendly at all.

Edited by nimzowitsch10
  • Like 1

nimzowitsch10    122

@00petar00

I'm not arguing whether klei should moderate their servers or not, that's a whole other discussion I don't have energy for.

If you really think pub servers are a good place to introduce new people to I don't think you play pub servers enough. There are people taking all the food and resources from your base without replacing them, constant dying that lowers sanity of everyone, and yes - griefing. A server playing by yourself should always be the recommendation for new players so you also don't become a burden to everyone else in a server. I mean that's the recommendation from the devs when u first download the game.

again, why do people feel the need to shield the devs from valid criticism? "you should just be happy they even have servers and shut your mouth" is just a terrible mentality to have as a community. The same thing happened when people complained about the constant bugs from the last crafting update. It's OK to complain about stuff you don't like about a game, that's what helps developers to know how the community feels instead of just saying, let's let the devs do whatever they want guys they're working hard enough.

00petar00    731

I agree with you, new players are going to have better experience if they host their own servers but some people don't want to play alone if they don't have any friends playing DST, so they may join public servers to learn and play with others.

3 minutes ago, nimzowitsch10 said:

again, why do people feel the need to shield the devs from valid criticism? "you should just be happy they even have servers and shut your mouth" is just a terrible mentality to have as a community. The same thing happened when people complained about the constant bugs from the last crafting update. It's OK to complain about stuff you don't like about a game, that's what helps developers to know how the community feels instead of just saying, let's let the devs do whatever they want guys they're working hard enough.

You are not taking into consideration that they don't need to have official public servers and i am not really shielding them from valid criticism, all i said was that even if the criticism is valid it is not worth for them to have to deal with so many threads complaining when it comes to their official servers that even if they shut them down, it would be completely fine.

I would rather see them focus on upcoming updates instead of managing their servers.

• Like 1

nimzowitsch10    122

@00petar00

That's fine if complete beginners want to play with others on a pub server, but they shouldn't expect anyone to help them because noone is obligated to. 

A good chunk of klei's playerbase play pub servers on a daily so yes, it is worth it to keep them running and they should listen to complaints.

Mysterious box    1975
40 minutes ago, nimzowitsch10 said:

If you really think pub servers are a good place to introduce new people to I don't think you play pub servers enough. There are people taking all the food and resources from your base without replacing them, constant dying that lowers sanity of everyone, and yes - griefing. A server playing by yourself should always be the recommendation for new players so you also don't become a burden to everyone else in a server. I mean that's the recommendation from the devs when u first download the game.

This is often new players and I'm willing to bet when the majority of people download a multiplayer online game the first thought that comes to mind isn't "Oh boy time to play by myself!"

Edited by Mysterious box
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Capybara007    1276
15 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

This is often new players and I'm willing to bet when the majority of people download a multiplayer online game the first thought that comes to mind isn't "Oh boy time to play by myself!"

just because the game has coop tags?

Minecraft is multiplayer but a new player plays offline, terraria is multiplayer but its mostly played offline

• Like 2

Cheggf    8628
1 hour ago, Capybara007 said:

just because the game has coop tags?

Minecraft is multiplayer but a new player plays offline, terraria is multiplayer but its mostly played offline

You are literally listing games that don't even have server browsers. I'm sure if it was called Play Terraria With Your Friends and the biggest button on the main menu took you to a server browser more people would play it online.

Edited by Cheggf
  • Like 2

Faintly Macabre    1272

The game's name is Don't Starve Together. Hopping into a game with other people right away is not the craziest notion.

When was it they said they were working on persistent public servers? That's surprising to me honestly, because it doesn't seem like the best idea. Updates change stuff that can result in buggy behavior, awkward iterative world generation, and other undesirable stuff that they may not be able to intervene and solve in a timely manner like a more attentive server admin could. That's reason enough not to do it in my mind, let alone all the valid concerns about awkward day 800 servers running where people are coming in to worlds picked clean, overly tamed, etc.

• Like 1