RoughCactus69    406

I personally miss the old system purely because it was easy, and nostalgia reasons. 

That's about it.

Right now you can genuinely live off a a single 5X2 farm (Around 3 rigamajigs.) You just get more food overall for so much cheaper! Plus the cute little fly boyo!

• Like 3

x0-VERSUS-1y    8821

If you're nostalgic after the old farming system, OP, and play on PC, can use this mod: Craftable Classic Farm.

Otherwise, as state in comments above, can learn new plot-farming mechanic - is not too hard, and benefits clearly being superior if investing time into it. Can solely search "Don't Starve Together Reap What You Sow" on YouTube for comprehensive guides. Gl!

PS: you may also find this online app useful in the learning process - DST Farm Planner.

Edited by x0-VERSUS-1y
*le PS
  • Like 1

demon3000    21

New sistem more effective, but you need knowledge, patience and more work. But delete old farm - it strange. You can used farm in a boats and live on water. Maybe need add to seafaring tab.

• Thanks 1

Spino43    1265
8 minutes ago, demon3000 said:

New sistem more effective, but you need knowledge, patience and more work. But delete old farm - it strange. You can used farm in a boats and live on water. Maybe need add to seafaring tab.

I agree, they would fit perfectly for growing crop on the ocean. There's no need to remove them completely.

• Like 1

minespatch    95530
8 minutes ago, demon3000 said:

ou can used farm in a boats and live on water. Maybe need add to seafaring tab.

How about a net farm? Would make players farm on the ocean during the winter.

• Like 2

Echsrick    3458

sometimes i do miss simply placing a seed into a farm plot, and technicaly these farms are still in the code, for older worlds, alsol if you play alone, i think new farms are a bit much for single play, but there is a mod that adds them back as crafting again if you want, heres the mod

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2322014692

there is no shame using it, but it is server only mod of course

• Big Ups 1

ALCRD    2586

Hmmm recycling these old Farm Plots into Crop Planters similar like ones in Stardew Valley would be pretty cool actually.

Can't get giant crops on these , very limited space for crops , cost materials to craft but can be put anywhere including on a boat.

I think that could work .. maybe.

• Like 2

blahpers    10

Did players really have trouble getting enough food from vanilla (improved) farms?  We just built six to eight of them and planted all the seeds we found.  Took very little time, required no fiddling with nutrients or even watering, and no tools that would end up breaking and needing to be recrafted.  We barely even used the bird--just to make sure we didn't run out of dragonfruit seeds.  And nobody had to dedicate 50%+ of their time to maintaining the farm or figuring out growth combos--we continued to explore, shore up defenses, take out bosses, do some creative building, and so on.

I'd figured that Klei redid farming because it was too good, not because it wasn't good enough.  Now I really don't know what Klei's rationale was for that update.

Edited by blahpers

Mike23Ua    14490
1 minute ago, blahpers said:

Did players really have trouble getting enough food from vanilla (improved) farms?  We just built six to eight of them and planted all the seeds we found.  Took very little time, required no fiddling with nutrients or even watering, and no tools that would end up breaking and needing to be recrafted.  We barely even used the bird--just to make sure we didn't run out of dragonfruit seeds.  And nobody had to dedicate 50%+ of their time to maintaining the farm or figuring out growth combos--we continued to explore, shore up defenses, take out bosses, do some creative building, and so on.

I'd figured that Klei redid farming because it was too good, not because it wasn't good enough.  Now I really don't know what Klei's rationale was for that update.

The answer should be obvious, but they redid farming to make you actually have to work & put effort into it.. and if you put enough effort into it: You can get even better benefits beyond just what Old Crops was capable of.

Keller Max    412
1 hour ago, blahpers said:

With old Farming, you can produce up to 1 crop in 3 - 4 days, with one time cost of 10 Grass, 6 Manure, 4 Stone.

With new farm, you can produce up to 120 crops in 3 - 4 days, with one time cost of 3 Boards, 2 ropes, 2 Flints.

Edited by Keller Max
  • Like 3

Cheggf    8601
4 hours ago, blahpers said:

Did players really have trouble getting enough food from vanilla (improved) farms?

You were able to survive with the farms but you were putting in tons more time and effort than if you had used a different food source like pigs, goats, or bees. New farms are way less time for way more rewards.

• Like 1

xhyom    351
5 hours ago, blahpers said:

Jesus Christ...

• Haha 2

Theukon-dos    4020
8 hours ago, blahpers said:

But . . . clearly I'm wrong! The farming update is extremely popular. Given that, can someone lay out why the new system is somehow more fun for the average player?

5 hours ago, blahpers said:

Sense nobody's actually answered your question for some reason, allow me to explain.

Ahem. 

The old farming system was utter ASSSSSSSSSSSS

You claim (or atleast imply) that the old system of farming was better for average players, but it's actually the exact opposite. Old farms where a trap for newer/average players on account of the fact that they where comically inefficient.

This mostly comes down to 2 main things.

1. The cost

2. The yield.

For the cost, farms where very expensive. A single improved farm took 10 grass, 6 manure, and 4 rocks. The rocks and manure wheren't too bad truth be told, but 10 grass is a lot. That's only 4 farms/stack, and when you're expected to make 20 of the things, well, it's not exactly a small hurdle now is it.

But more importantly, the yield of farms was abysmal compared to other sources of food. Someone on Reddit did the math better than I could, but despite your experiences, Farms are objectively worse than even berry bushes. Crops on their own average out to about 15 hunger each compared to berrie's 12.5, which is a slight edge, except for the fact that you can fertilize several berry bushes per farm. And even if you optimized a farm set up for Dragonpies, you'd only get a second seed back about 33% of the time, meaning you had to burn 66% of your crops just to sustain the farm.

The new farming system is more complex, yes. But by all accounts old farms where the worst food source in the game. Not unusable by any stretch of the word. I used them once in my Wagstaff world because that was my first Megabase and I wanted to try something new. By there was without a doubt no reason to not make a better food source, such as rabbit or pig farms. New farms are much cheaper to set up and operate, and a well-tended farm can produce stacks upon stacks of crops with a bit of maintenance. 

Oh, also old farms didn't work in Winter, meaning that you needed a better food source anyways to get through it.

Edited by Theukon-dos
  • Like 4

Mike23Ua    14490

I’m pretty certain that old farm crops did not work in the Winter Weather Season, which instantaneously means the new crops are superior in every single way.

• Like 3