Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Cloakingsumo198

It's the clothes that make the survivor.

Bags and rags  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Which backpacks do you use most often?

2. 2. What winter gear do you use most?

3. 3. What rain gear do you use?

• Straw hat
    • Top hat
    • Beefalo hat
    • Rain coat/rain hat
    • Umbrella
    • Eyebrella
    • Desert goggles
    • Funcaps
    • Beekeeper hat
    • Cookie cutter cap
    • Football helmet
    • Bee queen crown
    • Bone helm
    • Battle helm
    • Shelmet
    • Eyemask
    • Pretty parasol
    • Pine tree pioneer hat
    • Thermal stone
    • Fashion melon
  4. 4. What summer gear do you use?

5. 5. What items do you wear to affect sanity?

• Garland
    • Petty parasol
    • Top hat
    • Cat cap
    • Dapper vest
    • Breezy or puffy vest
    • Fashion/desert goggles
    • Thul suit or scalemail
    • Enlightened crown
    • Winter hat
    • Tam'o shanter
    • Bone helm
    • Nightmare amulet
    • Hibernation vest
    • Fashion melon/ice cube
    • Feather hat
    • Any amulet or belt of hunger
    • Summer frest or floral shirt
    • Dark sword/night armor
    • One man band/spider queen hat

Cloakingsumo198    2048

I ran out of question room.

Spoiler

Oh well

After submitting your answers please explain why you avoid pursuing or using the items you didn't choose.

Whether you don't need it, find it not worth the effort, prefer A E S T E T H I C, have better options, or can't obtain it. 

I started this poll because I hardly use any of the torso clothing, tier 1 items or passive sanity clothes.

I think they are useful for what they provide but since they have to compete with even a basic backpack which gives a whole 8 extra inventory slots to help haul items in and out of base they can't even compete.

Same thing with passive sanity it's nice when nothing is happening like autumn or maybe while base building/maintaining but it has to compete with armor or element protection.

DoT from freezing or overheating causes me way more panic than a couple shadow monsters.

And being wet means soggy food, slippery tools, soaked clothes and waterlogged fuel which is far more annoying and tedious than a couple shadow creatures.

At best sanity clothes negate the passive sanity lost from dusk and night but barely help with recovery so I guess that lead to me forgoing maintaining my sanity at all.

Edit: added eyebrella and rain hat to rain cause I forgor 

Edit: added scorching sunfish and ice bream cause I forgor:crushed:

Edit: added enlightened crown and made names public

Falkenpelz    3165

Cold? Thermal stone.

Heat? Thermal stone.

Rain? Thermal stone.

Dark? Thermal stone. 

Antlion? Thermal stone.

Krampus? Thermal stone.

Normal pickaxe? Thermal stone.

Uncompromising Mod? Kill me.

SonicDen220    3364

Backpacks - regular at the start of the game, insulated pack as a direct upgrade, krampus sack whenever one drops from Klaus, I don't farm for it usually.

Winter - puffy vest with beefalo hat, sometimes tam. Hibearnation vest as a direct upgrade to puffy vest. Thermal stone as a supplement. 

Spring - rain coat as my #1 priority. Especially in multiplayer, I leave the eyebrella to somebody else. Thermal stone for the first few nights as it's still cold.

Summer - thermal stone, desert goggles, floral shirt. Luxury fan and chilled amulet as a supplement.

Sanity - tam, belt of hunger, enlightened crown. If I want to feel fashionable, I wear a top hat or fashion goggles. Puffy vest, hibearnation vest and floral shirt all give sanity too, so I also chose them on the poll too, even if sanity is not their main function.

SonicDen220    3364
1 minute ago, GuyNamedChris said:

Friend always claims the eyebrella first (wx main) so I normally opt for an umbrella + any form of football helmet for spring+summer.

Ironically, eyebrella for WX might be slightly worse than umbrella+helm because of lightning isolation.

GuyNamedChris    14141
1 minute ago, SonicDen220 said:

Ironically, eyebrella for WX might be slightly worse than umbrella+helm because of lightning isolation.

That probably won't stop him from taking it anyway.

Falkenpelz    3165

Honestly though, I find it kind of sad that the body items are relatively neglected, I would like to wear them just for fun, but I need INVENTORY SPACE. I wish some body clothing items had at least pockets, like the Vortex cloak in Hamlet. Maybe less than a backpack, but I think it would be reasonable.

6 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

No Scorching Sunfish in the winter options, no Ice Bream in the summer options. Bad poll. :(

"Are you cold? Here, put a fish in your pocket!" Ah yes, Don't Starve, I love you.

Ohan    4562

Im not very unique or unconvential when it comes to my Constant fashion sadly :crushed:

I like to carry a bunch of stuff with me all the time cuz I can be very forgetful so I’ve never really gotten into body slot gear… my most unusual fashion choice is probably how much I use piggy backs because I love beefalo domestication so the slowdown isn’t an issue. 

Otherwise it’s the usual boring stuff: thermal, tam, beef hat, eyebrella. 

jan Mele    1260

I use thermal stones and eyebrellas since they don't take much time to get. If I stayed above ground during summer, I'd probably use the chilled amulet as well. Not that my worlds usually live that long. It kinda depends on the goal and rules.

Frashaw27    1732
51 minutes ago, Falkenpelz said:

Honestly though, I find it kind of sad that the body items are relatively neglected, I would like to wear them just for fun, but I need INVENTORY SPACE. I wish some body clothing items had at least pockets, like the Vortex cloak in Hamlet. Maybe less than a backpack, but I think it would be reasonable.

Hutch_base.jpg.7cf05f9f77bc8d260ecdb631786b9b56.jpgBundling_Wrap.jpg.f69a06eccecda15a24895128be9146d8.jpgShadow_Chester.jpg.b5053e4084248f6343f76d71c9478731.jpg

Here's your inventory:angel:.

I would like to add that adding pockets to the clothing items would ruin the purpose of the choice between having better element protection and having more inventory slots. It doesn't matter if you value one over the other, as it is always comes down to what the player wants benefit, thus giving I'd feel it would be a slap to the face to allow any non late game equipment to double dip in purpose like that.

kittem    947

i always use piggyback.... i have very bad management of inventory so i need a lot of spaces, id ont care about the speed loss because i just use a walking cane anyway

i use a thermal stone because its the easier way, and a beefalo hat too, i dont use the other options even when they are good because they take up a body slot. i dont play with extra slots and like i said i need a backpack 24/7

for rain i just use an eyebrella and keep a collection of sewing kits... again, body slots. also umbrella sometimes

for summer i just use a thermal stone. i go to caves anyways

for sanity, its a tam, and my collection of sewing kits

reallychina    867

Thermal stone is the only item i use for heat/cold

Eyebrella for rain.

I don't manage my sanity unless it's a major boss fight, in which case i eat food or use the bone help to spawn creatures, kill them and gain sanity. If it's basebuilding i use celestial crown. If i need lowered sanity fast i spam the lazy deserter.

i don't use backpacks, only magiluminescence. Exception being ruins clears, crab king fight and moving massive amounts of stuff from A to B

CaptainChaotica    6562

I'm pretty boring. Regular backpack (I don't wanna be slowed down/use my pigskins for other things, don't play as Warly, am not bad-karma enough to spawn Krampus, insulated pack is a bad idea for summer). 

Winter:  Usually a winter hat, sometimes a beefalo hat if I'm lucky, rabbit earmuffs as a "better than nothing!" option when I haven't been able to find any beefalo yet.  (I use Huge worlds and also randomise the seasons.  This means that sometimes beefalo are very far away, fall is very short, or both.)

Spring:  Mainly the umbrella, sometimes a straw hat and/or parasol + trees if it's real early game, sometimes I make the rain hat because I think it's hecking adorable (it reminds me of an oldschool kids' book illustration).

Summer:  Umbrella, thermal stone, grass and nitre to make an endo fire on the fly.  Next silde.

Sanity:  Occasionally a garland, but these days that's mostly for the A E S T H E T I C S.  I think mostly I take care of sanity with food, such as honey nuggets, cooked green mushrooms, cooked cactus, taffy, and jerky.  Or as Willow, by standing next to the fire.

I tend to wear the football helmet _all the freaking time_ because it's armor that you can wear WITHOUT losing your backpack slot, and it also doesn't degrade on its own!  This has a side-effect of protecting me a little bit from rain, too, I guess. But the main reason is:  So a sudden attack from nowhere doesn't ace me.  : P

And I wear absolutely NOTHING long-term that takes away the backpack slot. That is not happening.  You will tear my 8 more inventory slots from my cold, dead corpse--possibly literally, if I forget to switch to the logsuit in time.  ;)

...Notorious

dubious little    250
12 hours ago, Frashaw27 said:

Hutch_base.jpg.7cf05f9f77bc8d260ecdb631786b9b56.jpgBundling_Wrap.jpg.f69a06eccecda15a24895128be9146d8.jpgShadow_Chester.jpg.b5053e4084248f6343f76d71c9478731.jpg

Here's your inventory:angel:.

I would like to add that adding pockets to the clothing items would ruin the purpose of the choice between having better element protection and having more inventory slots. It doesn't matter if you value one over the other, as it is always comes down to what the player wants benefit, thus giving I'd feel it would be a slap to the face to allow any non late game equipment to double dip in purpose like that.

I mean has it ever been a tough decision especially when the headgear items are usually better anyways? The only times I use body gear is for the funny speed amulet and armour.

Cheggf    8630
5 hours ago, dubious little said:

I mean has it ever been a tough decision

You're right, it's never been a tough decision. The extra inventory space of a backpack is typically unnecessary if you don't carry 3 stacks of flint on you at all times so clothes, amulets, and body armor are clearly superior in most cases.

5 hours ago, dubious little said:

especially when the headgear items are usually better anyways?

What do you mean by this? The only head item I can think of off the top of my head which is better is the tam for sanity, which you'd want to wear alongside the actually insulating items since it's not good at keeping you warm, cool, or dry. Meanwhile there's things like the eyebrella which gives wetness immunity vs the rain coat which gives wetness immunity and minor winter insulation (useful for early cold spring nights), or the eyebrella which gives major summer insulation vs the floral shirt which gives major summer insulation and a good sanity regen and more durability.

ALCRD    2617

I always have issues with inventory management in games like this.

Even if i do travel light when exploring i almost always end up carrying entire biome back with me.

I just cant help myself..

jan Mele    1260
27 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

You're right, it's never been a tough decision. The extra inventory space of a backpack is typically unnecessary if you don't carry 3 stacks of flint on you at all times so clothes, amulets, and body armor are clearly superior.

What do you mean by this? The only head item I can think of off the top of my head which is better is the tam, which you'd want to wear alongside the actually insulating items since it's not good at keeping you warm, cold, or dry. Meanwhile there's things like the eyebrella which gives wetness immunity vs the rain coat which gives wetness immunity and minor winter insulation (useful for early cold spring nights), or the eyebrella which gives major summer insulation vs the floral shirt which gives major summer insulation and a good sanity regen and more durability.

Football helmets take up less space than log suits, can be crafted cheaply during the early game, and the materials used to make 3 pieces of tier 1 armour will take less inventory space if you make football helmets instead of log suits. You can't use magiluminescence while wearing thulicite suits. Eyebrella is cheaper than rain coat and serves for protecting against both rain and high temperature. Sanity regen other than bq crown is worse than food and ballads, you don't need to be sane all the time. Whether you use a puffy vest or a beefalo hat is up to preference. No clue about cold spring nights. Floral shirt doesn't even last the whole summer. Some amulets are good tho.

Sorry if this was a joke.

HowlVoid    8665

Winter: thermal stone + star caller staff/scaled furnace

Summer: Eyebrella + Luxury fan. Thermal stone if I'm on my boat. 

Rain: Eyebrella

Backpack: Normal one until I get a krampus sack or piggyback if I'm on a beefalo (and then upgrade to Krampu's sac)

I don't think I could use the thermal clothing in the game. I prefer shadow Chester and backpacks and its just barely enough slots for me. It's not that I even fill them all up, I just like the feeling of security from having lots of inventory space. If I can't have a feeling of security in real life then I can at least give that to myself in video games. Lastly, having an empty slot to separate my items into categories within my inventory raises my serotonin levels so...