Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Simonova

DLC idea: Apocalypse Loop

Simonova    29

While the infinitely more qualified folks at Klei are hard at work on the next DLC, I have an idea that I think would be enjoyable to play, which I've called the apocalypse loop.

The set up is like this: you have a chain of asteroids, but you can only move to the next asteroid in the chain, never backwards (this isn't Spaced Out). After a set period of cycles, the last asteroid in the chain undergoes the "apocalypse", which I see envision as the asteroid orbiting into the Tear as a lazy "what it could be".

So, the objective is to have colonized and moved to the next asteroid in the chain before the current one undergoes it's apocalypse. Meanwhile, the destroyed asteroid is renewed; it's biomes wiped cleaned, maybe some rare/DLC-exclusive resources seeded into it, so that it can be re-colonized once the apocalypse has ended and it's re-entered the loop.

Later tier technologies might revolve around materials or structures that allow a duplicant to stay on the asteroid and pass through the apocalypse unscathed, picking up new attributes/research(/critter morphs?) along the way.

That's my rough idea; nothing too complex, and hopefully based around enough of the existing stuff they built Spaced Out to be a modest dev effort while shaking up the stagnation that tends to set in during the extreme late game, but I'd like to know what people think.

Donteatthat    4

There was some batting about of the concept of Scenarios as something to look into for New Content, or the next DLC.
This seems to fit neatly into that idea, and sounds like a scenario that'd be fun to play.

Soulwind    320

Might be interesting but it's basically just "set up a liveable colony, don't worry about true sustainability, make rockets to move all dupes, and repeat".  At a minimum I'd say that only the first zone has or is allowed a printing pod.  That way you have to get all the dupes moved in time.

pether    1419

I like the idea of some deadly apocalypse-like challenges

...but your concept has a few flaws:

it would be good to allow people play with both DLC1 and 2. if DLC2 makes DLC1 invalid, some people may decide to ignore it and play with DLC1 they like better - not a good for company income

you will never be able to correctly adjust apocalypse speed - for some people it would be too fast and too difficult, for others - too slow and boring. there might be settings, but it is very difficult to say how hard should the easiest difficulty be. probably best would be turned off, but that makes whole DLC2 idea invalid

ONI is designed around growing and improving your colony. making a player start over again and again would be tedious and annoying and in long run wouldn't be so fun.