Oxygen Not Included Roadmap January 2022

5 hours ago, cpy said:

I want ultra gamer 360 FPS! With ultra wide dupes. Ultra wide framerate. Ultra wide tech tree and research that will increase FPS in late game.

And an utrawide seat for your ultrawide behind?

tongue112.png

Sorry, perhaps that response was too cheeky.

I am glad too see serious responses(not just mine), replies that speak to deeper points of game mechanics.

I.E. I still think they should have a blank map, studio produced(someone long ago gave me[everyone!] a save file that presented the player with an entirely blank map.) Which can be incredibly handy. Which I'm sure is not there included in-game(Which would take all of 15min to be done in house.).

But, it is too to much to ask to be drawn away from designing a new toy for dupes to demand to play with.

The deeper points I am referring to is constructive and useful content. Good things.

That we as players benefit from also. QoL kinda. Well considered, and fully conceptualized additions to the game. Dupes that display any significant interest in staying alive themselves. The forcing of bad attributes, without the parity of RNG rolling. You wouldn't end up with a poor/UN-useful/impediment attribute every single time randomly. Not empowering the abilities of the dupes to do things, accomplish tasks and coordinate the upkeep and maintenance of an outpost. I am hoping the pathing has continued to be of some focus to the 'coding' staff. And so on.

I wore myself out asking in the past. And it seems not much has changed, they don't seem to be interested in the technical, just more gimmicky material.

On 2/7/2022 at 6:31 AM, cpy said:

I want ultra gamer 360 FPS! With ultra wide dupes. Ultra wide framerate. Ultra wide tech tree and research that will increase FPS in late game.

I am so glad they worked on the tech tree page. It was so clunky at times, hopefully now it's better. It'd be great to have more compiled statistics around also. I do like the realtime charts.

On 1/29/2022 at 10:20 AM, pether said:

I read that Pack as this: Klei devs will focus on bug and performance fixes and that leaves art team with little work. So for the next Pack, they will do most of the work, prepare dozens and dozens of dozens artwork for new decor items, duplicants and morphs and when this is ready devs will take a little break from bugfixes, implement those decor items (very easy, one day of copy-pasting max). This way we will have nice new content and very needed fixes in the existing code.

I hoped for more rocket modules, airlocks and/or diseases as well, but this way we wouldn't get that many fixes and improvements. Also, more cool art is always cool

I would much rather the art team focus on creating art assets for essential buildings than recreational stuff. Existing recreational buildings are already saturated enough and need major tweaking to be used effectively besides just endgame when you leave your dupes to do nothing and are gonna stop playing anyway, as I mentioned before. The only new recreational building I really have found a use for is the dlc's phone as it's space efficient and you can get some extra morale for your duplicants without wasting water at the expense of some time and power in comparison to the water cooler. I love the artwork and animations, but if you just waste time on things that serve no purpose, all the real content is going to end up with a lack of polish on artwork and animation. Several essential buildings in the game have duplicants just standing around as they operate while some decor items that are practically rarely ever used because of being stuffed in the game with lack of balance, have gotten more artistic attention.

And again, if there are features planned for the game as QOL or just game mechanic implementations, the art team can provide some assets based on what the programming team will work on after they are done with developer tools (I'm assuming the people who program the game are the same who make the development tools since Klei are a small studio, but I may be entirely wrong). The very foundation of why this game is so fun is the simulation tech, the art stuff just makes the game look fantastic when the mechanics and simulation is set in motion, so anyone who understands a bit of game design, researches the sciency stuff and has a good idea of how to implement it into the game should be one(s) to plan the implementations and realise what assets are needed, then let the art team know what assets will be needed for the upcoming features, which they then can create concept art for, proper assets and finally usable animations. Being an artist and dreaming stuff up when you might not have a clue of how thermodynamics work in relation to buildings in this game seems like a bad idea, unless I'm wrong and the art team does include a designer who's researched the simulation stuff, but I highly doubt that. Technical artist for example is a bit more of a tech than art side of profession from my understanding.

Now would also be the perfect time for the artists to do the heavy lifting in implementing better visual graphics for UI and creating colored textures for various buildings. I mentioned this idea here:

You have no idea how much of a difference color coding makes. I will take that any day over more recreational buildings. Funnily enough that also applies to some recreational buildings as well, so we can see different colored textures for, say, a gold statue and a copper one rather than them all being silver. This is actually easy to do if you decompile the textures and shade the coloring appropriately and recompile multiple texture versions, however with the amount of textures of buildings there are in the game, that is still a huge amount of work! Wouldn't want to have the art team feel like they are just doing manual labor, but it's essential! I suppose that in and of itself could be automated, having a developer tool to take existing textures and creating proper hues that look great for multiple buildings and then compiling them all, but which is the more viable option right now? The UI however is in need of some love and I don't think any amount of technical work will improve upon that right now.

Color coding would be neat, it'd also allow the possibility of paint! (Make that artsy-dupe earn their O2)

I'd really like it if all the buildings could be reversed/rotated. (low-hanging fruit, still tasty)

I'd like it if there were some genuine hazards that could pop up randomly.
I'd like them more if they could also be disabled.

While I get the feeling that this is a sim, and therefore should be (mostly) predictable, it feels like
it's a little too closed-system. Careful expansion allows almost flawless results, and that sameness can
make it dull. If I start on a terrestrial world, the teleporter always gives me someplace with oil; I don't have to
hustle to figure out what I'm doing next to get off planet.

...there's no fire. [End of line]

The diseases kind of suck. Slimelung too lethal? Ok, how about one that makes it so a dupe recognizes a category

of a thing (food, mineral, liquid) but not what it is. [Is it Edible?, was that supposed to be made from copper/iron/lead?, that's not a Hatch, that's Nisbet!] make em lazy [their locality for tasks is now a 40 block square], make darkness have an effect (stress!).

Perhaps a predatory critter that hates light, and doesn't show up w/o it?  [Let's make those gateways necessary, and put the "attack" skill to use!]

Look! A thing! Oh. It wants a sacrifice? Ummm.....

More weird tech would be good: the AETN is neat.  (Could you make more wierd things like it? Could you make it a little stronger?)
Not (necessarily affecting dupes, but affecting how industry works, and how the build order goes)

Heat deletion remains my least-favorite part of this game.

Looking forward to what you guys come up with!

On 2/25/2022 at 11:14 PM, Donteatthat said:

Perhaps a predatory critter that hates light, and doesn't show up w/o it?

I love the idea! Do I have a permission to potentialy mod it one day? (I never worked with critters so please don't expect anything too soon, but the idea is too good to forget about it)

On 2/7/2022 at 4:31 PM, cpy said:

there is something very weird happening in empty map what eats allot pc recourses, if they to fix that whatever causes that, im sure 360 fps is possible at least in beginning game

note. only mouse  at game screen self already eats somewhere 50 fps. i personally not see why mouse needs 50 fps. i think 30 enoh and that would already give players the extra 20 fps

Yes please do a nice performance update. I remember when Factorio did a bunch of those and it made playing on large endgame maps soo much more enjoyable. I hope you'll find ways to utilize more of my abundant gaming PC resources and of course be more efficient etc. Godspeed!

2 hours ago, YOLO KNIGHT said:

Apologies if it's already been asked, but can anything be done with increased multithreading, or is that something that has to wait for a new game with a new engine that uses Vulkan/DX12?

Iirc they did some multithereading improvements for the pipe systems but it didn`t do as much impact as people hoped it would. Still maybe the critters or some heat calculations could be multitasekd as well.

On 1/28/2022 at 1:21 PM, JarrettM said:

We’re aiming to get this out to you just before summer, in time for Klei Fest. 

What about a DLC2?
All we can say for now is that we’re actively investigating possible themes and directions for DLC2. (As soon as we can tell you more about that, we will!) 

Summary
We’re hammering away on tech improvements and a free content update while we regroup and begin concepting ONI’s exciting next chapter. This roadmap will be updated in the summer. 

Can't wait for an UPDATE and any news about DLC2 !!!   

On 5/15/2022 at 4:10 AM, RonEmpire said:

Can't wait for an UPDATE and any news about DLC2 !!!   

to be fair I feel like DLC1 isn't still polished to its full potential (radiation features in particular) - Klei promised us to continue work on it and I hope they will keep that promise. Until then I hope they won't rush to DLC2 - I prefer having fewer, well implemented features than plenty of rushed and unfinished ones.

18 hours ago, pether said:

to be fair I feel like DLC1 isn't still polished to its full potential (radiation features in particular) - Klei promised us to continue work on it and I hope they will keep that promise. Until then I hope they won't rush to DLC2 - I prefer having fewer, well implemented features than plenty of rushed and unfinished ones.

I'm the opposite. Game needs attention. Whatever keeps it rolling the better. In the end if DLC2 will be in the works, then DLC1 and base game will get some scraps too. If DLC2 won't be in the works then I bet whole game will be put in the closet. Sadly I don't think this game gets as much attention from players as it deserves. Reviews for DLC are mixed, people who spent 2500 hours in game review it positive. Game and amount of content in DLC is insane. They did tremendous work with DLC1 and it's my favourite game of all the time, I will happily pay for another DLC, if it's for reasonable price like DLC1 is. Dare to say 10 EUR once in two years is a rip off of Klei. I would like to continue that deal. Content DLC2? Performance DLC3?

With Klei Fest behind us I wonder what are next steps on the roadmap?

Personally, I'd love to see at least one more content pack, maybe two, to fix and polish existing things before overwhelming us with bunch of new cool stuff in the next DLC

Hi Klei,

firstly let me say I really like this game and have been playing it since it was introduces on Steam. I saw you are looking for some DLC.
I am currious why you never tried to make this game little more player-aggresive. Dups have guns, lets give them some aliens to fight, you can make game land on asteroid some place intruders, good guys and bad guys,those who came to trade and those who needs some help. Or even, alients who came to steal one dupe from the player. 
For example alien like this one comes to trade or needs some assistance:
image.png.6d946f69d01f79c0f35e87c0616ed07e.png 

This alien comes to dig down and create a damage somewhere, unless killed in time:
image.png.24ca9c61f406bd57bc66928ea98dd25a.png
and this guy is a dup killer and can wrap some dupe to steal from asteroid for experiments. 

image.png.dd25f92490eda14915b5cde34d0e89ee.png

You can also introduce some soft of aircraft defence system when military trained dups-pilots can take off to shut down some aliens before they land.
But just don't take player out of main asteroid screen, make the battle automatical, believe me your dupes can handle this with some good training 
26 Cartoon spaceship ideas | cartoon spaceship, spaceship, cartoon

Archived