ADM

Thulecite Club changes for this QoL ?

Thalkas    1287

Not gonna lie, I wasn't big fan of Thulecite Club. In Don't Starve this weapon was too exclusive to make, I mean you could make better stuff from thulecite than wasting limited material. In Don't Starve Together problem with thulecite was fixed by option to renewable but still this weapon was not enough good to be "#1". Why "the most strong" weapon isn't enough strong and good to be the best of best.

Hambat was and is the most cheap weapon with high damage output (~59.5 when fresh) at start and Dark Sword is "late game" cheap weapon with one of the biggest dmg output - only Cutlass from Shipwrecked and Wanda's Alarming Clock are better. For both are need stations to prebuild and next you can make them whenever you want as long as you have material for them.

Club has bigger durability but dmg is literally 1:1 to fresh Hambat, in theory shadow tentacles should make additional dmg BUT... they have small range to hit and could hit just twice with 34 dmg per hit. Also they have -40 sanity aura and 20% chance to spawn after hitting enemy. You need build it ALWAYS next to ancient station with not so really cheap recipe. I think they best in Club is this small speed boost but I'm pretty sure it isn't enough interesing advanteg to making rush ruins. When probably more than 50% of players never rushed ruins before first winter for having small speed boost from weapon for a while. Definitely I'm more want to wait to winter for kill McTusk and get better speed boost hand-slot-item.

To sum up all above pros and cons Club is just straight outdated. It needs or halfy or fully rework to make it more worthy to get in late game and make it more useful in "new" DS. By new I mean after ANR or RoT.

I think doing something with Shadow Tentacles and recipe could make Club more attractive. How about 3 hits than 2 hits, a bit bigger range with only -20 sanity drain (while wear Thulecit Crown or/and Armor 0%) and bigger chance to spawn? Why not giving bigger speed boost eg. 15% or 20% but including Walking Cane as part of recipe? Maybe special ability to have bigger dmg to moon-type enemies or synergy between Club and Thulecite Armor - anyways this armor also isn't enough good for now. Thulecite stuff need to take a look on them and gets rebalans to actualy gameplay because mostly they are just outdated!

• Like 4

Ohan    2618

4 thulecite for only 200 hits really seems like too much.. 

when i play WW i like making use of recipes that require living logs for obvious reasons but the 4 whole thul has always held me back from switching over from dark swords to  clubs. 

Id love some rebalance of some kind on it. More durability, 2 thul instead of 4, more consistent shadow tentacles r interesting possibilties.

• Like 3

DajeKotlyar    275

To be honest, I want to see lunar club, from lunar rock. Lunar wall are so durable, so it's perfect for club. Moongleam can be used in recipe, to make it expensive.

• Like 1

ArubaroBeefalo    11265

For it cost you would think that would be a 500 durability weapon with the higher damage but is mediocre. I only use it for toad or celestias when im not using morning star but just if i have an obscene amount of resources

Now that wanda came (why the hell it doesnt stack with wanda perk?) The weapon feels like a joke when compared with the alarming clock

Idk why klei did such underwhelming loot for the ruins. Remember that in DS we have the starcaller staff summoning stars that only last 30s... 

• Big Ups 1

ArubaroBeefalo    11265
5 minutes ago, Well-met said:

perhaps simply decrease the laughably expensive recipe?

exactly. The recipe using a green amulet isnt bad but you are wasting green gems so it could be a similar recipe than the halfed version so it will be fair and, if you want it being even cheaper, you can use green amulet

but being forced to use a green amulet in early to dont waste 4 living logs is absurd, with that you can make 4 dark swords which has more dps guaranted

Baark0    1014

The person who mentioned obsidian spear didnt mention that the spear gains damage the more you use it, allowing it to get like 102 which really helped make the weapon good, plus it only costs obsidian, a dragoon heart, and a spear. The clubs main competitor is the dark sword since they both cost nm fuel and living logs, meaning in order for the club to compete, it's recipe needs a touch up. I believe making the club cost 1 living log would be a good place to start, along with maybe a thulecite reduction to 3 or even 2. Should the recipe remain the same, a durability increase to 300 or even 350 would be required so that it's more living log efficient than dark swords in exchange for costing other resources.

Really one of the best changes the club could get would be the ability to craft it outside of the ruins. If glass cutters didnt cost a board to craft, they would've been much more used weapons after CC dies, but even with the board cost, thanks to bearger's existence, cutters are honestly a pretty good late game weapon if you dont like dark swords living log cost/beefalo, especially if you carry chester around with you anyways since you can use the orb as a marker for him as well.

• Like 2

Phizzle    19
11 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Now that wanda came (why the hell it doesnt stack with wanda perk?) The weapon feels like a joke when compared with the alarming clock

They could change it but...would you really use the club over the alarming clock? 

20 hours ago, ADM said:

It's been 8 years

I think op has the best point right here. The thing is, Klei has repeatedly outdone themselves over 8 years with awesome new content to the game, but now some of the older stuff needs tuning, like the thulecite club.

I'm hoping that's what we see in the next update.

Edited by Phizzle
  • Like 3

ADM    9467
1 hour ago, Phizzle said:

They could change it but...would you really use the club over the alarming clock? 

You know what... maybe, let's say this could be at least interesting if the buff from Wanda was done the smart way, like, giving the tentacles extra damages as well as few other things from before, for example what @Owlrus mentions which I think is just brilliant, that weapon definitively looks like it would bash the hell out of a swarm of spider in a swing.

Edit : I only meant extra damages from tentacles when it comes to Wanda, rest would be for anyone

Edited by ADM
  • Like 3

Nettalie    690

I actually used a few thulecite clubs since the tiny durability buff they received and using them was definitely fine for me.

It's the crafting recipe that mainly killed me.

Though I do wanna say that the tentacles in my opinion should at the very least deal aoe damage so as to give it some utility for crowd control as well as just generally giving that perk a leg up, as much as I liked using the weapon I pretty much never used it for the tentacles' damage due to it both being based on rng whether or not there will even be a tentacle and a lot of mobs just moving out of the way most of the time anyways.

And since now Wanda released and she is probably the best dst style character made so far, meaning I play her all the time, I stopped using them again.

Like said plenty of times already, the club being considered a shadow weapon would give incentive to actually use it over the alarming clock as Wanda, especially if the tentacles receive the damage benefit as well.
It'd still be fairly expensive to use on a regular basis compared to the alarming clock (The initial cost of the clock may require more nightmarefuel than the clubs, but clubs still eat through your living log supply really quickly and have to be crafted anew for each club made, while the alarming clock is a one time craft)

In my opinion a bunch of ruins items do suffer a fair bit from "old" design, I'm not as big of a fan of most of them unlike many others despite them providing unique benefits. However the thulecite club is definitely still the one in most need of an upgrade in my eyes.
Especially since the reason I had been using it more in the first place was, besides the durability buff, using anenemies to have the ruins cleared without basically any effort. Would it not be for anenemies I would probably use the ancient items a whole lot less as a whole.

• Like 4

ShadowDuelist    9323

I'm more up to an "expensive but worth it" weapon.

I'd keep it's high cost, but reward crafting them with a mix of some of the ideas I've read:

• Durability: 375 durability sounds like a good starting point. But not "only" that change, since keeping living logs and fuel on you gives you an infinite amount of dark sword usage. A higher durability will just make it more convenient in the long run, but only if paired with other boosts.
  • AOE: It's true we don't have many AOE weapons, perhaps instead of a swing with AOE this effect could be achieved by improving the mini tentacles
  • Shadow tentacles: These could act as tiny sentries that last longer, seek out new enemies after the one they got spawned for is no longer within range or died, and maybe attracted attention. It would be more area denial than AOE. A spawn chance increase would be appreciated too.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Rafi.    477

I like it as a bootleg cane, if they made changes to the weapon, I just want the speed boost to be kept, it's very nice to have that speedboost very early on, paired with a magiluminescence it's basically top tier gear for the first autumn, the utility of this weapon is very nice, but for fighting, It's not that good, the tentacles are not working well, and it's basically a buffed spear, which is just not a weapon with that kind of cost should be, atleast that's what I think.

ArubaroBeefalo    11265

i think that if the dark sword costs 1 log and 5 fuel the club should cost 2 or 1 log 2 thulecite and 5 fuel or something like that. But if they wanna keep their expensive recipe then it should get a lot more durability, like 400 to make it a wished choice

• Like 1

thua4    3

yeah agree totally. Just fixing the shadow tentacle to act like those spawned from walter's cursed round range attack then it's pretty much what everyone always wanted without debating more on how to tweak this very potential items.