Benchmark Testing of Spaced out

4 minutes ago, GScully said:

Actually, I'm an IT guy so I know how to do it, thing is the game and others seem to crash more often if you over clock. But I have other apps that will use more cores(vm's for example). The only time I really see lag is on the saves, I've switched to local saves and it seems a bit better.

I am enjoying ONI, I think I"m over 4280 hours now, thou most of that is afk time.,

sometime ago i think someone made multi-thread mod for saves, it not freeze game at all. when save happened.

mostlikey that mod is not work anymore as allot changed including Harmony

I've played a bit more with this map, and to be honest, I don't see a reason for this game to perform so badly. Seems like even if you just look at the rocket interior the performance stays horrible. This is clearly a sign of some bad design decisions. I'm looking at rocket interior, nothing happens really there, no heavy graphical computation, yet I keep having 8fps, and the CPU stays below 20% usage. The whole game is being carried by pretty much just one core. Considering this game is all about computation ignoring multiple cores is just insane. I was hoping DLC will be a chance to improve game performance but it turned to be opposite ;/

4 hours ago, arvenil said:

I've played a bit more with this map, and to be honest, I don't see a reason for this game to perform so badly. Seems like even if you just look at the rocket interior the performance stays horrible. This is clearly a sign of some bad design decisions. I'm looking at rocket interior, nothing happens really there, no heavy graphical computation, yet I keep having 8fps, and the CPU stays below 20% usage. The whole game is being carried by pretty much just one core. Considering this game is all about computation ignoring multiple cores is just insane. I was hoping DLC will be a chance to improve game performance but it turned to be opposite ;/

Tbh I'm still hoping that there is opportunity here that Klei plans to use to spread the load around by putting every asteroid on it's own sim/AI thread pair. This might be to much to ask from this DLC since it might be a lot of work since my guess is code base was not prepared for that.
It would mean that base game would be a bit on the worse side then but DLC would scale much better.

7 hours ago, arvenil said:

I'm looking at rocket interior, nothing happens really there, no heavy graphical computation, yet I keep having 8fps, and the CPU stays below 20% usage.

Rocket interiors are part of the one big game tile map, incl. the hex space map . The reason Klei decided ( around 2 years ago) to have the game run in one big map, is probably to identify game speed bottlenecks, to allow prompt player location switching, to work on game optimizations and to be able to track down crashes.

The base game had been upgraded with dlc technology, base game and dlc are one and the same game.

Hopefully Klei will work more years on the game :p

On 10/15/2021 at 5:53 PM, babba said:

Thanks for sharing :distracted: If this would be my cpu I would switch of Hyperthreading and have cores running at 5GHz, but it entails messing with tech stuff and the risk of breaking things + $ dollares. ONI only needs 2 cores, game could run 30% faster. Modern 2-4 cores with high permanent base clock and large cpu caches are perfect for the game ( and most other games ). Achieving a permanent and high base clock can be a big challenge to undertake, no easy feat.

As I demonstrated above, this is not necessarily the case. Disabling cores and increasing core clock created the exact same outcome. This could be due to a variety of reasons, my best guess is other processes ending up on the same thread(s) as ONI.

Deactivating Intel Hyperthreading prevents virtual cpu cache sharing ( due to non existent virtual sharing ). A permanent % increase in base core clock typically results in corresponding % FPS increase in ONI :lemo:

2-4 core cores are useful, the ONI game speed scales to the single threading list https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html and large l1/l2/l3 caches with top range cpu`s benefit the game greatly.

The weekend is soooooo far away :indecisiveness: Perhaps we are lucky someday and Klei can make more use of idle cores. :love_heart:

The tendency seems that the industry pumps out 10-60 "cores" for consumers, where some people will someday show up with the industries proposed weak "baby cores" mixed in...the player complaints and user confusion will not get less :lol:

I am so wishing for a great new 2 or 3 core cpu someday on the market ( 1 core for the OS ), sadly its unrealistic :apthy:

Proper cooling - RGB is important !

image.png.ccbc9e0d77e50cbdbab30a0afda3e665.pngimage.png.e0545b22d1fb155c60789d3e16d23626.png

Time : 2:15 (3 trials all the same +/- 1 sec)
CPU : AMD Ryzen 9 3950x 16-core
Graphics card : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super
RAM : 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
CAS : 16, 18, 18, 36
HDD : Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB

I run at 4k resolution but I don't think it makes a difference. I think I read somewhere the dev still have lots of logging turned on in Spaced Out but not sure. 

I run a gaming laptop (MSI GE76 Raider).  These are my results:

Time : 2:03 (or 123 seconds)
CPU : Intel i7 11800H @ 2.3 GHz, 8 cores, 16 threads
Graphics card : nVidia RTX 3060
RAM : Crucial 32 GB 3200 MHz CL22 (an upgrade I installed)

CAS : 21/22/23/24
HDD : WDC PC SN730 SDBPNTY-1T00-1032

I tried messing around with some variables (MUX switch, external monitor, etc), but it was always around 2:02-2:05.

I did two different runs.. One on my "summer" setup, which is no-boost or "underclocked" however you decide to see it. And then one at boosted

Time : 2:10 (130s)
CPU : Intel i9 9900k @ 5.0GHz 
Graphics card : nVidia RTX 3080
RAM : 32 GB 2133 MHz (not sure why this dropped)

CAS : 16/18/18/36
HDD : Samsung 970 EVO NVME

This run happened on the last Rad New Worlds build on 10/28

Time : 2:23 (143s)
CPU : Intel i9 9900k @ 3.6GHz 
RAM : 32 GB 3200MHz

This run happened on the build prior to Rad New Builds

Edit: made some more tweaks, and got my best run

Time : 1:57 (117s)
CPU : Intel i9 9900k @ 3.6GHz (it sustained a boost at 4.68GHz) 
RAM : 32 GB 3200MHz

This run happened on the last Rad New Worlds build on 10/28

3 hours ago, babba said:

FYI - New great cpu choices for ONI :p

Top performance value price recommendation: Intel i5 12600K. Up to AMD now to counter the top runners.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

image.thumb.png.b4cb9375cee306f151fce8d46d16061d.png

between i5 and i9 is the i7, those guys not had that for testing as intel not send them that

one guy todo already oc. he hit to 7ghz

i think amd fill beat intel tho at next year when they release they ddr5 cpu

I finally gave in an upgraded my computer from a 10 year old i5-2500k to the latest.  One of the first things I did was run this test.  This result is all on stock everything, no overclocking or modifications of any kind (apart from enabling XMP):

Time : 1:43.32 (103.32s) - 1:42.99 (102.99s)
CPU : Intel i7 12700kf @ 3.7GHz (cpu-z says it was running at 4689 - 4888 MHz)
Graphics card : nVidia GTX 1050ti
RAM : 32 GB 3600MHz

CAS : 16/16/16/36
HDD : WD Black SN-850

Still only getting about 25 frames per second, though.  The CPU usage was steady at 15% (too many cores) and the graphics card was steady at about 20% (due to being zoomed in so far, the video card is not currently a limiting factor).

I think if I overclocked a little bit I might be able to get this down a TINY bit, but I think most of the time loss is due to two or 3 freezing hiccups that happen in the game.  Not sure the cause of those...

21 hours ago, Putz1103 said:

I finally gave in an upgraded my computer from a 10 year old i5-2500k to the latest.  One of the first things I did was run this test.  This result is all on stock everything, no overclocking or modifications of any kind (apart from enabling XMP):

Time : 1:43.32 (103.32s) - 1:42.99 (102.99s)
CPU : Intel i7 12700kf @ 3.7GHz (cpu-z says it was running at 4689 - 4888 MHz)

Still only getting about 25 frames per second, though.  The CPU usage was steady at 15% (too many cores) and the graphics card was steady at about 20% (due to being zoomed in so far, the video card is not currently a limiting factor).

I think if I overclocked a little bit I might be able to get this down a TINY bit, but I think most of the time loss is due to two or 3 freezing hiccups that happen in the game.  Not sure the cause of those...

it can be that they limit little bit inside bios. probaply you need use the "Intel Extreme Tuning Utility" for increase the cpu to the 5ghz as that is the max for that cpu. after that is oc, not need go over if not want but you should check if setting is for 5ghz

not  sure why you get the 25 frames, to you play windowed mode or something?

I finally finished my overclocking process.  I don't mess with voltages because overclocking is not worth damaging any of the computer parts.  My memory would not overclock in the slightest (could be a motherboard issue as that is a little common right now).  My CPU would overclock to 5.3GHz, 5.5GHz on any of the processors would cause a blue screen as the Windows logon sound was playing.

Time : 1:42.33 (102.33s)
CPU : Intel i7 12700kf @ 3.7GHz (cpu-z says it was running at 4689 - 5287 MHz)

The overclock only shaved off .66 seconds (and some of that could have been my reaction time, who knows).

I also tested underclocking my ram to 3200MHz, that resulted in a time of 142.55, so virtually identical.  I'm not sure what the bottleneck is now since faster processor and faster ram resulted in negligible differences.

8 minutes ago, Putz1103 said:

I finally finished my overclocking process.  I don't mess with voltages because overclocking is not worth damaging any of the computer parts.  My memory would not overclock in the slightest (could be a motherboard issue as that is a little common right now).  My CPU would overclock to 5.3GHz, 5.5GHz on any of the processors would cause a blue screen as the Windows logon sound was playing.

Time : 1:42.33 (102.33s)
CPU : Intel i7 12700kf @ 3.7GHz (cpu-z says it was running at 4689 - 5287 MHz)

The overclock only shaved off .66 seconds (and some of that could have been my reaction time, who knows).

I also tested underclocking my ram to 3200MHz, that resulted in a time of 142.55, so virtually identical.  I'm not sure what the bottleneck is now since faster processor and faster ram resulted in negligible differences.

you cant go faster than 100 sec in this test. you say that there was some freezes probaply that caused the 2 sec loss 

Exactly.  There are a few "freeze" events that stop all animation in the game, then resume.  I'm guessing those are at least 1 of the 2 seconds.  I just moved my ONI game files onto my m.2 SSD (from a SATA SSD, theoretically 10x the performance, 7000MB/s read), that resulted in a time of 102.22, so nearly negligible again.  I'm still not sure what is causing the hiccups.

I think I've reached the peak of what my new system can do for this game.  I'll be interested to see if anyone can beat 102.22 seconds (with 100 being absolutely perfect).

Same configuration, but after a fresh computer restart, got 1:42.08 (102.08 seconds).

3 minutes ago, Putz1103 said:

Exactly.  There are a few "freeze" events that stop all animation in the game, then resume.  I'm guessing those are at least 1 of the 2 seconds.  I just moved my ONI game files onto my m.2 SSD (from a SATA SSD, theoretically 10x the performance, 7000MB/s read), that resulted in a time of 142.22, so nearly negligible again.  I'm still not sure what is causing the hiccups.

I think I've reached the peak of what my new system can do for this game.  I'll be interested to see if anyone can beat 142.22 seconds (with 140 being absolutely perfect).

as i know there is some issues by game code for example if it takes screenshot. i to made mod where it fixes some part about that but not all

Archived