Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Souper

Does the bell prevent beefalo heat?

Recommended Posts

Souper    319

I've bonded with a beefalo since late autumn, but in spring just now once I got off they tried to attack me. Apparently they're in heat, but I thought they don't go into heat if you're bonded to them? Was it because I was riding them during the transition from winter to spring?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain_Rage    2296

@DajeKotlyar and @ArubaroBeefalo already answered. Beefaloes bound by a bell will still go into heat and give offspring unless fully domesticated. The last Beefalo I tamed was in the version prior to the Wanda update and this is exactly how it works.

If you don't want them to go into heat you can always try playing as Wickerbottom dressed in jammies and keep the herd company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    14341

Oh, just to point it. If you plan to kill your beefalos childs make sure he isnt on screen. Hurting beefalos, even if you are riding him to atack them, will run a lot of his domestication so, before killing them, move him far far away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Souper    319
9 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

@DajeKotlyar and @ArubaroBeefalo already answered. Beefaloes bound by a bell will still go into heat and give offspring unless fully domesticated. The last Beefalo I tamed was in the version prior to the Wanda update and this is exactly how it works.

If you don't want them to go into heat you can always try playing as Wickerbottom dressed in jammies and keep the herd company.

Their answers seem to conflict with the link I provided though. In that clip, Jazzy's beefalo goes into heat, but only for a brief moment. Then it calms down afterwards and loses its heat status(?) I've also seen conflicting information on the forums. (Read the "BEEFALO BELL" section)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    14341
5 minutes ago, Souper said:

Their answers seem to conflict with the link I provided though. In that clip, Jazzy's beefalo goes into heat, but only for a brief moment. Then it calms down afterwards and loses its heat status(?) I've also seen conflicting information on the forums. (Read the "BEEFALO BELL" section)

That happend to me when year of the beefalo came. What i told you happend to me 2 weeks ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zacqiang    362

Lardee137 made a specific video about preventing a bonded beefalo to go into heat in any other season. Unfortunately spring will force all but fully tamed beefalos to go into heat, so your best bet would be by using a beefalo hat.

I do personally experience this bug in my long-term world (1500+ days), where one bonded beefalo will always go into heat during spring, while another often won't go into heat (but both will still produce offspring and make a herd nearby if I culled the herd). Both beefalos are halfway tamed and then ditched somewhere. So I guess you just got the short straw every season? :crushed:

5 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Oh, just to point it. If you plan to kill your beefalos childs make sure he isnt on screen. Hurting beefalos, even if you are riding him to atack them, will run a lot of his domestication so, before killing them, move him far far away

Is there a statistic somewhere to support this claim? Because what I know is that unless you are directly hurting / shaving / overfeeding your halfway-tamed beefalo, doing anything else will not ruin its domestication percentage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Falkenpelz    2373

I just had that issue a few days ago. Bell doesn't prevent heat, my beefalo was happily running after me asking for food, but knocking the crap out of me everytime it actually reached me. Only thing that helped was beefalohat. It didn't dispense a child however...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Souper    319
1 hour ago, zacqiang said:

Is there a statistic somewhere to support this claim? Because what I know is that unless you are directly hurting / shaving / overfeeding your halfway-tamed beefalo, doing anything else will not ruin its domestication percentage.

Afaik, it doesn't ruin domestication at all. But they will get aggressive towards you temporarily for hurting another beefalo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Souper    319
Just now, HowlVoid said:

Don't forget that if it does go into heat and you take it to the caves it will be removed.

Supposedly this method only works for winter, not spring. But I haven't tested it myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zacqiang    362
32 minutes ago, Souper said:

Supposedly this method only works for winter, not spring. But I haven't tested it myself.

According to Lardee137 (in my previous comment), he did mention that it doesn't work during spring as all untamed / halfway tamed beefalos are forced to become horny throughout the season, regardless of whether the beefalo is transported into the caves from the overworld and vice versa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Friendly Grass    564

No. The bell does not prevent beefalo heat. However, whenever a beefalo forgets it's herd, it's heat timer is reset. When you go into the caves (switch shards) with the bell in your inventory or log off and back on, the beefalo tied to your bell forgets it's herd. It therefore gets its heat timer reset to 20 days, and loses any heat it had. Spring heat is independent of this; your beefalo will still be in heat. Once your beefalo is fully tamed it will never go into heat.

Heat is tide to the herd, not the individual beefalo. But I hope klei somehow makes it so that a beefalo will remember it's heat when it forgets it's herd. To avoid this confusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Souper    319
17 minutes ago, Friendly Grass said:

No. The bell does not prevent beefalo heat. However, whenever a beefalo forgets it's herd, it's heat timer is reset. When you go into the caves (switch shards) with the bell in your inventory or log off and back on, the beefalo tied to your bell forgets it's herd. It therefore gets its heat timer reset to 20 days, and loses any heat it had. Spring heat is independent of this; your beefalo will still be in heat. Once your beefalo is fully tamed it will never go into heat.

Heat is tide to the herd, not the individual beefalo. But I hope klei somehow makes it so that a beefalo will remember it's heat when it forgets it's herd. To avoid this confusion.

If the beefalo forgets its herd, does that make the baby beefalo no longer follow its mother, in that case? (e.g. half-tamed beefalo has baby, you take beefalo into caves = no more baby followers?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Falkenpelz    2373
2 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

Don't forget that if it does go into heat and you take it to the caves it will be removed.

Jeez, I thought for a moment, THE BEEFALO will be removed xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zacqiang    362
5 hours ago, Souper said:

If the beefalo forgets its herd, does that make the baby beefalo no longer follow its mother, in that case? (e.g. half-tamed beefalo has baby, you take beefalo into caves = no more baby followers?)

This is a very interesting question, and so I tried it out in creative mode to see what will happen.

Turns out the baby beefalo will wait for its mother when you bring your bonded beefalo through a wormhole and back, but it will dissociate itself with its mother when you enter and exit the caves with the bonded beefalo (and slowly walk back to its original herd).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Souper    319
1 hour ago, zacqiang said:

This is a very interesting question, and so I tried it out in creative mode to see what will happen.

Turns out the baby beefalo will wait for its mother when you bring your bonded beefalo through a wormhole and back, but it will dissociate itself with its mother when you enter and exit the caves with the bonded beefalo (and slowly walk back to its original herd).

That's helpful to know. Thank you for testing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites