Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Milllk

Lets talk about getting hit by monster will lose Time Meter value, I think it's a total design flaw

Recommended Posts

Milllk    59

:apologetic:ok , after watching this, i immediately lost interest to wanda.. getting hit by monster should not lose time,  that's way too weird, Doesn't seem to be reasonable at all, instead, without getting too tricky , without introducing other Meters ,  i think even lose Sanity would be better, well , maybe Wanda is an martial art expert, she does not lose HP, but he hate monsters , and she lose Sanity after been hit,  also, the older  Wanda gets, Sanity will also decrease, because why not, do u like being old? No,of course not,  we "DON'T LIKE" being old, or even older,  this "DON'T LIKE" can be represented using Sanity, or maybe other meters, yes, i became older, i freaked out, Wanda gets older, Wanda also freaks out,  The lower the Sanity , The dangerous the environment will become, and also , if "Doesn't lose HP" seems to be too powerful for Wanda, she can totally drain Sanity way faster than normal, and additionally ,when sanity becomes 0, This is when Time meter drain starts to kick in, so HP Loss can be totally represented in Sanity, i think the design in this video most of them seems good, but this part to me looks really silly.

if Time Meter is already the Same as HP meter, why need this Time meter design anyway, it's still the Same HP meter.

 

Update:

 

I have 2 suggestions:

1. get rid of the "you will lose Time meter value instantly when getting hit", deal with this mechanic with another meter.

2. get rid of the "you will lose Time meter value instantly when getting hit", change it to accumulating Time meter Tick Rate.  instead of changing time value , getting hit will change the rate. Suppose normally she would be dead after 3 days with no intervention to Time meter, getting hit will make this Time period shorter. if she were to have HP meter, and the damage taken can already declare her death. then the Tick rate should be noticeably fast, and she will die in a short period if no intervention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Misa22    733

Glass cannon, mate. 

Getting hit is the opposite you want with this character, that is why she doesn't even have HP. Just a metter that says "be careful, you have this amount left". 

Also that is why she uses a middle range weapon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Milllk    59
12 hours ago, Well-met said:

No friend, I'm afraid you're not getting a quite literal godmode official character.

No, i already explained, even if she does not lose health, after been hit, she is still in a way danger situation than before. and this effect accumulates, does not lose Time meter does not mean she is an invincible character

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShadowDuelist    9718

The time meter and losing time upon existing, or getting hit, sounds like a totally fresh new take on a character design. 

Wait until release and trying her out to suggest/complain IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Milllk    59
2 minutes ago, Misa22 said:

Glass cannon, mate. 

Getting hit is the opposite you want with this character, that is why she doesn't even have HP. Just a metter that says "be careful, you have this amount left". 

Also that is why she uses a middle range weapon. 

Yeah, really reasonable , why not just replace it with HP meter, then drain the HP instead? 

1 minute ago, ShadowDuelist said:

The time meter and losing time upon existing, or getting hit, sounds like a totally fresh new take on a character design. 

Wait until release and trying her out to suggest/complain IMHO.

losing time upon existing is good, but losing time upon getting hit is weird. don't u think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShadowDuelist    9718
2 minutes ago, Milllk said:

losing time upon existing is good, but losing time upon getting hit is weird. don't u think?

Well from a real life perspective getting hit by things often, like constantly getting hit in the head, will definitely shorten your possible lifespan. So it’s sort of accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Milllk    59
14 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

The time meter and losing time upon existing, or getting hit, sounds like a totally fresh new take on a character design. 

Wait until release and trying her out to suggest/complain IMHO.

i don't mean to complain about it , i have a certain expectation, i mean, Klei is good, also if they are this good, they are open to suggestions

9 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Well from a real life perspective getting hit by things often, like constantly getting hit in the head, will definitely shorten your possible lifespan. So it’s sort of accurate.

"shorten your possible lifespan" is right, that should definitely take in to consideration,  but does it make u even older.. for example, a boy getting hit by a car , he looks like a mature man now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cheggf    5324

It's not the same as a health meter. Damage received is dealt over time instead of immediately, and it also ticks down naturally over time. Your suggestion wouldn't even do anything to make it less of a health meter, it'd still just be a health meter, it'd just have a buffer of the sanity meter first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Milllk    59
18 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

It's not the same as a health meter. Damage received is dealt over time instead of immediately, and it also ticks down over time. Your suggestion wouldn't even do anything to make it less of a health meter, it'd still just be a health meter, it'd just have a buffer of the sanity meter first.

wait, i just come up with an idea, also , i would still insist  that "Damage received is dealt over time" is the same as HP meter if this "over time" is too short , in a short amount of time, Damage is dealt in the form of Time Meter value loss, this is literally still the HP meter.

but , by reading your post,  How about after taking damage, the Time Meter will accumulate faster, by getting hit more, Wanda's Time meter will tick way faster than before, instead of decreasing the value directly ,  we can accumulate the decreasing rate. that gives the player the warning " be careful, at this rate, u can not hold any longer". not just over a short amount of time, but like days , like , a longer amount of time, that would make more sense to me. 

At the very least, It's no longer the Health Meter any more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zacqiang    362
26 minutes ago, Milllk said:

How about after taking damage, the Time Meter will accumulate faster, by getting hit more, Wanda's Time meter will tick way faster than before, instead of decreasing the value directly ,  we can accumulate the decreasing rate. that gives the player the warning " be careful, at this rate, u can not hold any longer". not just over a short amount of time, but like days , like , a longer amount of time. 

Then the repercussions of getting hit will be way worse since players have to keep tabs on not dying to old age after a fight for a long period of time (days or seasons even). Time which can be used to do more efficient things in the game.

Wanda in her old age, is able to resist the majority of sanity drain when equipping Night Armor, which is a way of Klei saying "this is the straightforward viable way of playing her". This way, she is using her sanity and a small part of her age to make herself to be sustainable in combat, like how you mentioned in your post. I don't think her design towards taking damage to result in aging faster should be changed, not at least until we get to experience playing her firsthand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Milllk    59
39 minutes ago, zacqiang said:

Then the repercussions of getting hit will be way worse since players have to keep tabs on not dying to old age after a fight for a long period of time (days or seasons even). Time which can be used to do more efficient things in the game.

Wanda in her old age, is able to resist the majority of sanity drain when equipping Night Armor, which is a way of Klei saying "this is the straightforward viable way of playing her". This way, she is using her sanity and a small part of her age to make herself to be sustainable in combat, like how you mentioned in your post. I don't think her design towards taking damage to result in aging faster should be changed, not at least until we get to experience playing her firsthand.

"have to keep tabs on not dying to old age after a fight for a long period of time" can really describe the state after battle when playing as Wanda, if this was an intense fight, and she were to have HP Meter instead, she would have already died in the battle. but, as Wanda, she can still live for a short while, meanwhile, Time meter will tick like crazy because she had taken too much damage.  player has to manage to survive in this period.  and i think this is a better way to describe Wanda's health meter, this would be a new play style. getting hit will not be handled by player in an instant , but handled in the long run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Milllk said:

losing time upon existing is good, but losing time upon getting hit is weird. don't u think?

it's not weird at all.

 

the closer you are to dying, (the older she is) the less hits she can withstand, hence what makes her a glass canon.

 

think of the age meter as a fun restyled backwards health bar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Milllk    59
10 minutes ago, GrMcGillacactus said:

it's not weird at all.

 

the closer you are to dying, (the older she is) the less hits she can withstand, hence what makes her a glass canon.

 

think of the age meter as a fun restyled backwards health bar.

ok , then, if that is the case, i don't think there's any need to replace the Health bar to trick people if the mechanics are all the same under the hood.

that makes Wanda a character who drains Health to gain Power. 

and The Time meter,

It's a Health Bar SKIN!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Milllk said:

ok , then, if that is the case, i don't think there's any need to replace the Health bar to trick people if the mechanics are all the same under the hood.

that makes Wanda a character who drains Health to gain Power. 

and The Time meter,

It's a Health Bar SKIN!

what's wrong with that?

 

it fits the style and character concept so it's easier to understand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Milllk    59
2 minutes ago, Horsheen said:

So...You want Wanda to have Walter's main downside opposed to her own?

No, I want wanda to be special, she's already so special, why can't her Time meter be a total different meter to Health Meter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Milllk    59
16 minutes ago, GrMcGillacactus said:

what's wrong with that?

 

it fits the style and character concept so it's easier to understand.

ok , i have no more questions. it's reasonable to have a new skin be called a new character design though. 

11 minutes ago, GuyNamedChris said:

its a special health meter bro. you get hit, it goes down. simple as

right, it's a health meter skin.

11 minutes ago, GuyNamedChris said:

its a special health meter bro. you get hit, it goes down. simple as

where's the special? i dont see any difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lord Cafe    109

No no no please NO!

Wanda it's high risk / high reward character but at the same time you can play with her always youngwhich is low risk / normal reward so she's perfect balanced, experienced players can play always old and get more benefits while beginners can play young.

She has amazing powers but SHE NEED some negatives effects to be balanced nobody would like her if she was win / win in every aspect, you MUST BE PUNISHED if you're taking hits with her, taking damage reduce your youth that means you have less power to rewind and other things like that but you get damage boost since you're getting old but at the same time playing low life means more chance to DIE and most of the player base already think DST is a hard game so you'll not see thousands of Wanda players playing low health just to deal massive damage, if you want massive damage just pick wolfgang and eat some meatballs and you get double damage, double speed and almost double health with no downsides. 

So it's very simple to understand the ideia behind her youth bar the flaw it's in your vision about it i'm game designer and if wanda just had a normal health bar she would be boring and opressing, she would be almost broken as wolfgang is, so PLEASE NO!! don't ask Klei to remove this new mechanic. Klei always listen to weird sugestions from people so please no. she's fine and balanced some people say already that she's OP but she's only look overpowered to the players which don't know enough about the game and always think they can do easily on everything so there's no "downsides". 

Not trying to sound rude my english it's just bad and sometimes sound like that. Sorry

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that the idea of getting hurt aging you is a bit strange like it's not possible to get killed young? XD but functionally it works perfectly it's like hp but with a constant bleed a new way to manage gameplay and situations where you can wind up in a pinch, I can't wait to try her out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Karitha    3327

I should not say anything about character without playing with it first, I experienced this Wurt.

But as I see, I don't think it's good idea to having kiting based character in a game that have ping issues that makes kiting almost impossible. I mean there is even an option called lag compensation that makes a illusion of having no ping which clearly shows even devs are aware of ping problem.

But like I said, we should not judge characters without playing with them at least few hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites