Sign in to follow this  
Ashar

[Steam] How do i save?

Ashar    10

Ive read that the game saves automaticly when you exit, but whenever i exit to the main menu, or exit the game completly, i only get new game, or new world from the menu. Is there a reason why you only allow chrome users to save their games? When you exit, it states are you sure, you will loose all progress from last save, but the game never seems to save anyway.

Yesterday, i played up to about 30 days ingame, unlocked lots of tech, even made a meat effigy to help with death, yet when i came to play today, all my progress is lost, appart from tech points id amassed and the tech unlocked, i arrive into the game with nothing else.

What point is there in playing if you just loose everythign when you exit, are we suppsoe to keep the game running continusly forever? Theres no manual or anythign to tell me anything useful.

Has saving not been properly implemented yet?

BTW ive tried running with steam enabled and disabled, but still no difference

Toaster Fu    101

It should automatically save every evening and morning in game. One other person had this problem so there may be a bug with saving at the moment.

draco1776    10

I have the same problem, game shows that the world saved every morning and evening, but when i loged out yesterday and came back today i din't have the option to continue only start new game :/

Vachu    10

File integrity is verified. When I quit a game and come back there is no way to continue. It worked once but now I always lose my savegame. It's sad because I play during lunch at my job and during the evening at home. With this bug, there is no way I can continue any game I start.

Corey    267

Just curious, are you playing at work, and then trying to play again at home? Or if you play in one spot (work or home) and exit after one full day, you still can't resume?

Vachu    10

Sorry I should have given more details.

1. I started a new game at work today at about 12:30. This was not a new world.

2. I played until about 13:10. I quit the game right after night, after it said it saved.

3. Closed the game. Waited for the Steam sync, then I closed Steam.

4. Played AGAIN at work at 16:30 until 17:00. At that point, I was able to continue my game.

5. Closed the game. Waited for the Steam sync, then I closed Steam, like I did after lunch.

6. 19:00: Logged into steam at home, waited a little bit for that cloud sync, then I started the game. There was no option to continue. I started a new game and I still had research points and unlocked stuff but verything else was gone.

7. Closed the game and logged on my work computer from a distance using VNC. I went to the save folder and it was empty. Steam has NOT been started on the work computer since the time I logged at home. It seems the save was already gone before I went home, unless I'm looking in the wrong folder.

Hope that helps!

lordhelmet79    10

I have been playing on one computer, and steam in offline mode. Every time I close out the game (after the morning auto save),or return to main menu, there is no option to continue, only a new game is available. It has kept my research points, and in the same world, but all my progress is lost and i start back at day 1.

SolDivjne    10

have the same problem...

i closed the game after the gamesave at morning and when i start the game,i have no option to continue...

the game also does not update itself, even though I have it set in the properties on "testing" and "dev"!

i5 750,ati 5850,8gb ram,win 7 64bit and steam version of dont starve.

Edited by SolDivjne

Dee_Mond    10

After the game saves in the Steam version I Alt-tab out to check the save folder, however it just is not writing a save file there.

Interestingly, there is a log file in C:\program files(x86)\steam\steamapps\common\dont_starve\bin\log

that records your actions in game. it also logs " SAVE SUCCESS: latest". The thing that is really odd is that the log refers to a folder that does not exist on my hard drive.

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\main.lua(93,1)

The log also references "SimLuaProxy::SendProfileStats() SendProfileStats::{"stats":

I'm not very techy and I'm not sure if I'm barking up the wrong tree, but something with log looks wrong to me. Where is it trying to send these profile stats?

Anyone with a big brain want to look in to this?

Dee_Mond    10

I found a fix that works for me. I switched my Firewall off (Zone Alarm) , Dont_Starve had full permission so i cant pinpoint the issue really. Apart from my firewall was causing a problem..

Game save folder is still empty.. I'm happy now that I can continue my game though, Yay !

SolDivjne    10

hmm...sounds strange,but ok:)

i will test it...something different,is the new update now on steam or not?

edit says: it works! thanks man;)

Edited by SolDivjne

Wip3out    10

Came back home today and again no saving. This time I was 30 days in.. Running steam version of the game. Any other info I need to divulge?

bobby223    10

Same problem here, I played yesterday for several hours and wanted to continue today, but the SaveGame is gone.

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Artem    27

My girlfriend had the same problem. That's how I fixed it for her:

1. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common (or wherever your game is);

2. Go to dont_starve folder properties (right click on folder, select Properties) and remove Read-only thing;

3. Do the same for C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dont_starve\save folder;

4. Enjoy your wokring saves!

bobby223    10
My girlfriend had the same problem. That's how I fixed it for her:

1. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common (or wherever your game is);

2. Go to dont_starve folder properties (right click on folder, select Properties) and remove Read-only thing;

3. Do the same for C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dont_starve\save folder;

4. Enjoy your wokring saves!

Didn't work.

mickyT    10

i've tried the read only suggestion too but after i uncheck 'read only' it just checks itself again after i go back into its properties.

my 'continue' will stay until i turn off the computer... tried it a few times with the same result.

Kevin    1,123

Do you guys have any idea why your steam directories would be read-only in the first place? Do other games have trouble writing files for you?

mickyT    10

this would be the first with any problems. it's as if the game is saved on someone else's computer with that strange destination it comes up with on the log file.

Sign in to follow this