Scypham

Waterlogged Beta Analysis and Suggestions [An explanation on the new Mangrove Biome and suggestions for it]

Dextops    1740
2 minutes ago, BoySyrup said:

figured this would be a good read, and I have come to treelize your arguments are very well rooted down to points I agree with. Having the above average trees branch out in their uses beyond summer protection would be a leafp in the right direction, and help people stumped on how to reliably gather them. 

my soul is dying and being reborn after reading this 

Szczuku    17582

The tropical biome looks kind of odd in the generally cold-looking dst ocean.

Imo it'd look better attached to the swamp. That is if there were any other shore biomes attached to the mainland.

The biggest appeal of this update is the decorating potential of the water tree. Fig and its dishes are mediocre at best as well as the new fish. Basic resources gathered from this biome could allow one to live permanently on a boat but... why would anyone do that?

Also I'm disappointed that this is how the grass gator got added to the game. The poor thing doesn't even have enough sprites to properly copy beefalo's animations.

• Like 3

Owlrus    5098
40 minutes ago, Scypham said:

Figkebab - 1 fig, 1 meat value, 1 twig. It won't accept more than 1 monster meat in its recipe or else it'll turn into wet goop. 20 hp, 25 hunger, 15 sanity. Lasts 15 days. The stats on this one is generally okay. It's nothing too impressive but it's quite easy to make in the mangrove biome.

Seems good in a pinch, but with the inclusion of RWYS it's not hard to farm a bunch of carrots to bring with you for Rigatoni; which would blow this dish out of the water even with having only 6 days of spoilage (but then again, most people put refrigerators on their boats so that may not be an issue anyways now that I think about it).

Figgy Frogwich - 1 fig and 1 frog legs. 8 hp, 18.7 hunger, 10 sanity. Lasts 15 days. This one is a bit of an oddball. The obvious thing about it is that it has rather low stats. Something else to note is its priority in the crock pot is incredibly low, meaning if the filler ingredients can make anything else, odds are it will. It seems like it's intended to be a food to stockpile on, especially given how common frog legs can be due to frog rain in Spring.

I don't particularly think it's beneficial to stockpile this recipe when the individual components, just as with the kababs, give more individually than in this dish. Even if going you were going for the sanity alone it would be more cost effective to make kababs or simply dry kelp on a drying rack. When considering new recipes I typically ask myself "would making this recipe be better than eating its ingredients alone?" and that affects my decision when I see dishes like Ceviche or Unagi.

For starters, Fig recipes. 3 of them seem fine stat wise, the only one that has a blatant issue would be the Fig Stuffed Trunk. If you cook a trunk and cook a fig, you'll get 41 hp and 93.8 hunger in total. This means making the recipe would give you 19 more hp but cause you to lose 37.6 hunger from making it, which is a considerable difference.

I get where you're coming from, but I also feel that this concept also applies to Kababs and the Frogwich as well since both dishes don't equate to the sum of their ingredients either. I can understand the argument "Well it's because the other stats are raised to offset the lower hunger" but the thing to consider is that Health only decreases when you are injured and Sanity dwindles steadily at night (unless you wear sanity clothing like the easily accessible Tam O' Shanter) or are around monsters, whereas Hunger constantly decreases every single day (75 for most characters). Unless you brought ingredients with you to cook (such as a trunk and/or carrots and froglegs) then you're out of luck in making 3 of these recipes unless you're able to make multiple kababs every day.

I don't like to be so adamant about something on the forums, but I genuinely feel that once the update hits live we won't see anymore changes to the dishes, so it's better to discuss it now and hope it gets looked at some more while we still have time.

Edited by Owlrus
  • Like 1

Hornete    10709
9 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

The poor thing doesn't even have enough sprites to properly copy beefalo's animations.

Which sprites are missing?

• Like 1

Dextops    1740
27 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Imo it'd look better attached to the swamp. That is if there were any other shore biomes attached to the mainland.

i wouldn't like that because i like the fact that the new biome isn't tied to one spot if you find one you know there are 3 more left and more incentive to go locate them but knowing they are all near a swamp you now know other than lunar island its empty 

• Like 1

IceTime    108

I hope the speed of the ship can remain the same. Now the speed of the test version of the ship is too fast. The anchor is not as good as it used to be

• Shopcat 1

IceTime    108

Anchor when there is a winged sail on board. The ship can't turn correctly.

Anchor when there is a winged sail on board. The ship could not steer properly

But when there are two winged sails, anchor and the ship can turn correctly

Raising the speed limit doesn't make sense. No one will sail so much

In the original game version, it is very reasonable for two winged sails to reach the upper limit of ship speed.

If you have different views, please go to the game to experience the beta ship speed.

WoodieMain45684    1225

The foods are my main concern as well. I don't believe that the majority of the dishes are worth the sum of their parts and cannot see myself making them in most scenarios. Given that cooked fig's hunger is already at 18.8, I would most likely just grab those as a quick snack then leave the biome with a few tree seeds.

Speaking of tree seeds, I think they're nice, but there's a few things I find that are lacking about them.

1: The player-made giant trees do not grow figs, which would make the odd recipes more available to make since you could move the figs closer to the other oddly specific requirements.

2: The shade made by the giant trees are a bit on the small side. Currently it spreads a bit inconsistently to 3-5 tiles, which.... actually isn't a lot of room....

Maybe they could add another stage to the giant tree that allows it to spread its canopy further to something like 8-10 tiles and grow fig vines?

Edited by WoodieMain45684
  • Like 3

Szczuku    17582
9 hours ago, Hornete said:

Which sprites are missing?

As far as I know they don't have a 'open mouth' sprite and 'angry face' sprite, despite copying beefalo's yawning and running animations

9 hours ago, Dextops said:

i wouldn't like that because i like the fact that the new biome isn't tied to one spot if you find one you know there are 3 more left and more incentive to go locate them but knowing they are all near a swamp you now know other than lunar island its empty 

Well yeah if Klei added this new biome to the swamp's shore the ocean would remain mostly empty. But do you think that it'd stay empty forever? Klei cannot add everything in a single update. The ocean would be empty right now but maybe next update they'd add a more fitting biome to it. You have to look a bit into the future and hope that Klei will properly chain the updates together.

Even most of the community thought from the devs' teaser that this biome would actually be snow/iceberg island. Klei could have added that and moved this mangroove biome to the swamp.

• Like 2

Gor Gor    13

i think increasing the amount of tree jam you get per craft (3-5?) would signficantly increase the utility of it, since its relliant on you having a surplus of it to get any benefit, an glomer goop is pretty slowly obtained

• Like 1

Nickolai    1431

Yeah having to do a lot of work just to grow a giant tree and you only get a small radius of fire protection and only 6 wood isnt rewarding for the player.

I would love if player grown trees would grow 3-4 fig vines. 

Edited by Nickolai
  • Like 1

x0-VERSUS-1y    7802

On one hand I fancy the fact new ocean biome isn't a rehashed "arctic island" with Mini-Glaciers, Pengulls, and some MacTusks village no one would de facto care after 1 in-game year (by this point in time, mentioned and sparsely-circulated "trading MacTusks on an island" idea feels more like a meme mod, really).

On the other hand, while debatably beautiful, this Mangrove-type biome doesn't offer terrible utility and a recurrent motivation to visit ocean, long term. Above-Average/Great Tree is an alternative Flingomatic (for ocean-or-shore bases) by preventing smoldering (alongside lightning protection and certain heat insulation), yet pretty costly to setup and almost no-return if cut down. More-so, it doesn't appear to grow Mossy Vines (implicit, Figs). These aspects should be buffed. I for one am on the fence regarding reworked boat mechanics, haven't tested them but they look like making boat less maneuverable while boat in-itself still remains frail against impacts. I salute the introduction of Tree Jam as boat-fissures complete healing method as well as the fact player re-spawns on - after deconnecting from - moving boat; and, by extension, new stopping-to-a-halt gimmick for moving boats (not further propelled via mast). Also I hope live-update will come with as few bugs/problems as possible - aka Beta be truly effective at ironing-out such issues. Grass Gator, Sweetish Fish, and certain dishes (Fig-Stuffed Trunk plus Figgy Frogwich) could benefit from punctual buffs too: grass drops for Gator, sweet value for fish, more bon numerical values regarding pointed foods.

All-in-all am content KLei decided to populate Constant's ocean, but hope this isn't the only addition to open-sea waters. The wide watery gloss needs a lot more flora & fauna, perhaps 1-2 more thematic islands. Not to mention past-yet-recent "Return of Them" bosses and structures (Lunar Altars and Moon builds) need love as well: Crab King offers a lot of possible Gem combinations without (useful and attractive) loot differentiation whatsoever (missed opportunity for an Endothermic counterpart to Scaled Furnace), Celestial Champion drops only a glorified tiara (Miner Hat + Tam O' and a 25%-window of additional combat damage), while we have only 3 functional lunar builds (Moon Glass Axe, Glass Cutter, and Moon Rock Idol).

PS: have containers on boats been optimized, resource-demanding (processing power/used memory) wise?

Edited by x0-VERSUS-1y
*le PS
  • Like 1

ArubaroBeefalo    11088
49 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Celestial Champion drops only a glorified tiara (Miner Hat + Tam O' and a 25%-window of additional combat damage)

dont forget that it can be deconstructed which atleast makes farming him worth, not like CK that only drops a recipe

• Like 1

x0-VERSUS-1y    7802
1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

dont forget that it can be deconstructed which atleast makes farming him worth, not like CK that only drops a recipe

True, but still underwhelming from a supposed "End-Game boss".

Hornete    10709
12 hours ago, Szczuku said:

As far as I know they don't have a 'open mouth' sprite and 'angry face' sprite, despite copying beefalo's yawning and running animations

image.png.22ccd9f5057e69f94907a3de893887cc.png

Looks like they have a face when running.

Unless you mean they don't look angry, in which-case I don't see why they have to be exactly like a beefalo in their sprite design.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hornete    10709
3 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

What is the minimum effort needed to get the winch blueprint?

complete one task for pearl and you can buy the winch blueprint for one bottle.

-Variant    7889
14 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Nothing's exactly missing per say, but the animations are very stiff and unmoving... Yeah.
It's the same anims from beefalo but their face is just entirely unmoving, going up and down. I'd hope for it to be touched up a little.

• Like 1

Sunset Skye    12632
7 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

What is the minimum effort needed to get the winch blueprint?

Pick up the beached bull kelp on Pearl's island and put all the kelp you get directly onto the drying racks. That'll instantly gain you some friendship with Pearl, so you can buy the pinchin' wench blueprint with the bottle that you most likely read to get to the island.

• Like 3