Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

PowerGrid

Looking for some inspiration to keep playing...

PowerGrid    3

I downloaded the game, sunk 140 hours into it and just as much researching info on how to play it (e.g. youtube, guides, forums and discords). After a while, I was finally able to achieve near-infinite sustainability in my colonies then quickly lost interest. Im still not quite sure where to go from here. I love the game but I just dont know what to keep playing towards. I am a very goal oriented gamer and there just doesnt seem like there is enough of it in the late game for me. Everytime I load up ONI, I look around for a minute then quit and go back to watching youtube or something else as I feel i've done most things in ONI worth doing. I'm lost and looking for a way back. Please help.

NeoDeusMachina    711

It's a bit sad, but in a way it is possible that by "doing your research" you created that problem. ONI is a lot about solving problems, so you researched how others solved problems before trying to solve them yourself. You fast forwarded your progress and lowered the game life time to a small 140h, which could have taken a lot more if you had tried playing blind.

In any case, I am also goal oriented and I tend to get bored at around 1000 cycles. I usually start over and try to do things differently. For example, feed my dupes with something else to force myself to setup a different resource production chain. Have you tried making a very "organic" playthrough with pips, ethanol, spicy tofu, sage hatches (really useful now with diamond press, they have the best coal conversion ratio) and slicksters? Have you tried using critters for everything that a critter can do, e.g., filtering polluted water with gulp fish and not using water sieve. There is so much possibilities, I doubt you have tried them all in 140h. I would suggest exploring alternative food, alternative O2 production (rust deoxidizer mine it from space later on, try making it sustainable, use dasha saltvines), alternative ways of doing everything and stay away from youtube and tutorials. Try figuring it out on your own, accept it might not be optimal and improve it yourself. Play the game, don't play other people's game.

Hope you'll find ways to keep playing and enjoy it! :-)

Edit: Did you get all achievements? If not, I've got a challenge for you: try getting all achievements in a single run all by yourself!

Yobbo    206

You can always set your own silly goals. I personally liked "turn care packages off and always print a dupe immediately whenever the printing pod is ready". I got to about 200 dupes before complete colony collapse... :)

A colony is never finished xD.

For instance, I am currently creating a cooling system for my rocket hangar. It got waaayyy too complicated, but I am absolutely loving it xD.

There is always something to be done. Always the next challenge to tackle.

1804799947_Schermafdruk2021-07-2512_25_10.thumb.png.719ddd0d05a8a1d8e3f4e5c0b9e1803b.png81481095_Schermafdruk2021-07-2512_24_52.thumb.png.3aa9449c8a39e62fb1fabcd5c25674bb.png691873702_Schermafdruk2021-07-2512_24_59.thumb.png.deeb5514e410f488c9017fba271447cd.png

sheaker    103

I am getting 'bored' of colony around 2200-2500 cycle. Before that I am trying to:
- Get all achievement if possible,
- Tame all volcanos, geysers and vents,
- Set up regolith collector and cooler for as much of surface as I wish to,
- Set up high temperature, self cooling, reliable power source
- Set up my own self powered, automated designs, possibly different than previous ones,
- Freeze some parts of core.
- Evolve and maintain true Nature Reserve:

obraz.thumb.png.cd800e795997bc8ab1b325607da90150.png

It is supplied with small amount of CO2 with option to remove some excessive oxygen, a little bit of cool from the bottom and accidental heat from the top. Can You identify all wild plants and creatures?

gabberworld    350

you mistake was that you looked how others play. and not try yourself how handle this or that.

there is allot players who try yourself and because off that they also find out very weird game solutions how handle this or that (including game exploits). those all experience you are missing atm

i to have 8000 cycle game, and i still think at there that i should done something differently.

i to look other players solutions as well but i not see that i need todo copy paste for everithing

It took me up to cycle 700 to launch my first steam rocket on my current colony. It will take me up to around cycle 1050 to launch my first petroleum rocket. Granted, I could have launched it probably earlier, but instead of rushing it I tackled other problems.

Even if you know the solution to every problem, the game just is not finished at cycle 140. I wasn't even at the oil biome at that point. Like Sheaker says, around cycle 2200 you are probably 'done'.

My goals usually are, in this order

-Start: set up basic requirements like farms, water supply, oxygen supply, bathrooms, barracks
-Set up ranching to get glossy drecko's and smooth hatches.
-Expanding beyond first biome: locate an AETN and cool steam vent to set up advanced oxygen and cooling setup for the colony.
-Expand to oil biome to get main power sorted
-Locate lobby hall at the top of the map to build forward base around it
-Build up to first rocket
-Automate processes and put down tubular paths to decrease dupe work and travel time.

Those are specific goals. Usually they do take a long while to achieve.

NeoDeusMachina    711
9 minutes ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

Even if you know the solution to every problem, the game just is not finished at cycle 140.

Except OP said 140h not 140 cycles, there's a little bit of a difference there.

gabberworld    350
10 minutes ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

-Start: set up basic requirements like farms, water supply, oxygen supply, bathrooms, barracks

yeah those are my main goals as well, other stuff what you posted are random

you not posted at there but my goal is also morale boosts , then they not start stress up when i leveling dupes

1 minute ago, NeoDeusMachina said:

Except OP said 140h not 140 cycles, there's a little bit of a difference there.

Ah I misread.

I think I roughly have that amount of hours in my current colony. But depending on circumstances, it is possible he got most out of it in his current playthrough.

NeoDeusMachina    711

I think one of the difficulties encountered by goal oriented people (and i can only speak from my own experience here) is that the game itself doesnt really set clear goals. There are the colony imperatives, maybe the colony achievements, but that's about it. Self sustainability is easier to achieve now than it used to be, so it's "easy" to feel like there's nothing pushing us to play more when the colony is self sustaining. Again, this is from my own experience. We have to set our own goals ourselves and that doesnt come as easily to everyone.

10 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

yeah those are my main goals as well, other stuff what you posted are random

you not posted at there but my goal is also morale boosts , then they not start stress up when i leveling dupes

I usually tackle those inbetween. Early game I make sure I don't give them too many skills to keep morale requirements down, later game I make sure food quality is high enough. It is definitely a balancing act, but later game I find even highly skilled duplicants with high morale requirements getting overjoyed.

There definitely challenges enough throughout the game. Even if you are goal oriented, launching a rocket to the space tear takes up a mighty amount of time, and requires a lot of steps and subgoals before you end up there.

gabberworld    350

i todo have future goal plans for make huge dupe base and keep them all alive , but atm i feel im just not ready yet for that

2 hours ago, gabberworld said:

i todo have future goal plans for make huge dupe base and keep them all alive , but atm i feel im just not ready yet for that

Also map dependent :D.

blueberry pi    83
8 hours ago, sheaker said:

Can You identify all wild plants and creatures?

there are pips, drecko, shine bugs, prince puft, a hatch, there was a pokeshel or two but they were harming the other critters.

a buddy bud, hexalent plant, water weed, meal wood, arbor tree, oxyfern, pincha pepper nut, mirth leaf, bristle blossom, you tried dusk cap and thimble reed.

i recommend some long hair slicksters as they will consume excess oxygen produced and will look beautiful.

gabberworld    350
2 hours ago, fishoutofwater said:

if you ask me, my goal is to have playable fps at fast speed, after 2600++ hours I still failed miserably and I am still trying...

that's easy, just don't build anything, meat farm too big? reduce the number

PowerGrid    3
13 hours ago, NeoDeusMachina said:

It's a bit sad, but in a way it is possible that by "doing your research" you created that problem. ONI is a lot about solving problems, so you researched how others solved problems before trying to solve them yourself.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this. I admit there were more times than not where I would encounter a problem and immediately go scour the internet for help. The times I didn't do that and tried to solve it myself ended with one of two scenarios; 1. It worked but barely or temporarily. 2. Disaster. I guess this made me feel as if most struggles in the game were just too advanced for my brain, which also may have adversely affected my willingness to keep on playing.

sheaker    103
1 hour ago, blueberry pi said:

there are pips, drecko, shine bugs, prince puft, a hatch, there was a pokeshel or two but they were harming the other critters.

a buddy bud, hexalent plant, water weed, meal wood, arbor tree, oxyfern, pincha pepper nut, mirth leaf, bristle blossom, you tried dusk cap and thimble reed.

Impressive!
I think there is a pacu egg but is hidden behind debris.

1 hour ago, blueberry pi said:

i recommend some long hair slicksters as they will consume excess oxygen produced and will look beautiful.

I will try! Thanks!

6 hours ago, gabberworld said:

that's easy, just don't build anything, meat farm too big? reduce the number

any other tips and tricks man?

so far what I did are:

- kill all wild critters and plants
- limit tamed critters numbers and movements

- use bridges instead of long piping
- vacuum
- mined all natural tiles and collect all debris into one tile

- only print few dupes

cmiiw

QuQuasar    1283

My goals after survival are:

1. Harness sustainable sources for every resource I am consuming in any amount.
2. Expand to 35 duplicants (gotta catch 'em all).
3. Renovate the base to be as aesthetically pleasing as possible.
4. Automate the base to detect and respond to any potential shortages or surpluses.
5. Maximize the living standard by obtaining all the morale boosts in the game.

gabberworld    350
3 hours ago, fishoutofwater said:

movements

im not sure if that helps self because game still try if he can move animated object even if its in 1 tile

zhtzeng    0

I play ONI for 2700 hours. Just try to survive by different ways.

Last time, I use pure volcano power to survive and without opening oil well...

I feel like ONI is a design game, not a survive game. LOL

Most of my play time are trying to design a complete and full functional base.

There are still many targets for me to improve.

Ex. build something more huge, compact, symmetric, simple and less automation to improve FPS, more colorful to decorate my base and colony...

457140_20210624161550_1.png

Sasza22    3783
16 hours ago, PowerGrid said:

I think you hit the nail on the head with this. I admit there were more times than not where I would encounter a problem and immediately go scour the internet for help. The times I didn't do that and tried to solve it myself ended with one of two scenarios; 1. It worked but barely or temporarily. 2. Disaster. I guess this made me feel as if most struggles in the game were just too advanced for my brain, which also may have adversely affected my willingness to keep on playing.

I don`t think it`s always wrong to do research on the game. While in ONI i can harm your experience it can also help you avoid disasters. Also it depends on how you like to play the game. I personally enjoy small disasters that require building temporary solutions and finding ways to fix them (i know not everybody may like it though). First time my pipes broke from cold i was like "that`s so cool".

Anyway the game offers the simple way to beat it as well as a lot of room to try your own approach. For example recently i tried dividing my dupes into classes. I got the tech guys that need high morale and get better stuff and the diggers/builders that need much less. Then finally the maintaniance squad that`s in between. They got different shifts, food permissions and priority settings and it`s kinda cool to manage all that. Especially in the dlc where i can send my digger squad to a different planetoid to do the build job and then send them back home.

I think you need to find something that you like to tinker with in the game to see if it works better or worse. That`s what`s usually fun in this types of games.