goblinball

Opinions on the Celestial Portal?

Opinions on Celestial Portal?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the Celestial Portal?

• it's really awesome
    • it's pretty cool
    • it's fine i guess
    • it could be better
    • it's awful

goblinball    63

I've been thinking about the celestial portal quite a bit, and I am curious of what peoples' opinions of it are, considering how it affects DST. If anyone wants to know my opinions, I dislike the celestial portal for reasons I'm still unsure of, but I don't hate it with a burning passion. I'd love to hear people's reasoning, so replies with explanations for the option picked would be preferred, but not necessary. This is the first poll I've done so I apologize if I screwed something up while creating it.

• Like 3

HowlVoid    2924

Sometimes I forget it exists. Wish it customized a characters perks so instead of switching characters you could get everything you wanted from one (your favorite) character.

Like fighter Wormwood where he increase attack instead of speed when blooming.

Harvester Wormwood where he can command mandrakes to harvest twigs/grass for him.

This would be my top pick for suggestions I would never make because it would 100% never be added. 

Edited by HowlVoid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dextops    1046

i never use it but if i were to use it i would like it to more expensive since it seems a lil too easy to switch characters and i don't like how its based on luck for how fast you get it 

Zeklo    20007

Honestly? At this point I've sorta settled.

Balancing character swapping is such a tiny portion of making the game "survival-focused" again that I don't care at this point.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

DajeKotlyar    99

I use it only once, when looks for crab king. It was a big problem even with detector, but goose form of Woodie find it so fast.

Maybe, Klei should just make idols more expensive, but portal is ok right now.

EirikGerhard    135

I like the portal, I like it very much. I don't see why you would want to impose more restrictions on it, but if you want to challenge yourself why not only change characters during full moon? 

x0-VERSUS-1y    7412

As Sinanco pointed, Celestial Gate needs a cool-down mechanism. Perhaps like the raid bosses, 20 days between swaps. Will mitigate to a certain important extend the pick-and-swap "abuse" some characters are pointed at for. Mechanically is a good addition - in theory; but in practice has a too-small con on long-run, aka the minuscule cost of Lunar Idols (1x Purple Gem + 1x Moonrock Nugget). Aka one needs to experience the consequences of one's choosings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dr.Medic    1022

i dont like it i like the jurry rigged portal more but anywways i still thing you sould play as what you selected no changin you choose to be wilson so you stay wilson no changin

• Like 1

ShadowQueen    100

OP GREAT FOR SWITCHING TO WARLY TO GET JELLY AND SWITCH TO WOLF FOR FIGHTS AND THEN SWITCH BACK TO WENDY

Price tag: purple gems which I barely have any, and moon rock which is sadly not plentiful cuz the public takes it from the mosaic

Edited by ShadowQueen

Archswifter    67

I liked when it was first introduced since I was able to go back into my first long-term world and switch out of the character I was playing for over a 1500 days. It's even better late game as by that point you probably have more than enough purple gems & moon rocks to switch whenever you want, which is especially great when your playing solo and need to do something as another character for a bit. It also just looks really cool overall and has more build options for it than the standard portal what with the whole RoT arc.

CaRat    250

It kinda shanks the fun for me honestly. Instead of dealing with the characters cons you just take all the good things and no downsides. Hence why I never use it. It just gives wolfgang mains a reason to say he's the best

(even though this game is usually meant for teamwork which wolf is terrible for so hes at best b+ because webber and a few others like wurt and wendy I think? They can easily go far past his damage as well as supporting the team in a few other ways) because most times it's just OOGA BOOGA swap to winona or something make the thing you need. Swap back eat meatball and OOGA BOOGA on with your wolfgang meta way.

I just feel bad for people that genuinely play winona, woodie, warly, Maxwell, willow, and wendy because it kinda just says your character is dispensable. I dont have to worry about this because webber main alert. But the portal doesnt need a fixin the characters that can be abused with such need it.( nothing big just something that would make you think twice about before swapping)

Like wx-78 is a example of a character you shouldn't swap with unless your willing to sacrifice something which is great because it makes you think twice before swapping. Winona is a horror show because of the swap and it's just sad.

• Like 2

Cowboy Maxwell    224
55 minutes ago, CaRat said:

It kinda shanks the fun for me honestly. Instead of dealing with the characters cons you just take all the good things and no downsides. Hence why I never use it. It just gives wolfgang mains a reason to say he's the best

(even though this game is usually meant for teamwork which wolf is terrible for so hes at best b+ because webber and a few others like wurt and wendy I think? They can easily go far past his damage as well as supporting the team in a few other ways) because most times it's just OOGA BOOGA swap to winona or something make the thing you need. Swap back eat meatball and OOGA BOOGA on with your wolfgang meta way.

I just feel bad for people that genuinely play winona, woodie, warly, Maxwell, willow, and wendy because it kinda just says your character is dispensable. I dont have to worry about this because webber main alert. But the portal doesnt need a fixin the characters that can be abused with such need it.( nothing big just something that would make you think twice about before swapping)

Like wx-78 is a example of a character you shouldn't swap with unless your willing to sacrifice something which is great because it makes you think twice before swapping. Winona is a horror show because of the swap and it's just sad.

I agree with this. Each character has their pros and cons. You should be willing to take the good with the bad instead of swapping to negate such things in game. You want to play a different character? Start a new world.

BezKa    2204

It's good. I have not met a single person that obsessively switches characters every 2 days to perform tasks or reset stats. 

Whenever I change characters in my world I do it because I want a different experience. Sometimes to get some specific resources. It's been fun playing Wigfrid, maybe now time for some farming? Let's grab Wormwood and stay in base with the plants. Feel like building a merm town again? A moonrock and a purple gem and we're going. 

If I had to make a new world for every character I would end up just not playing some of them. Especially back when we had only 5 save slots. I did a sort of challenge where I played every character for a in-game year- to see how to handle them etc. And it was fun, but sometimes I want to experience the luxuries of my 3000 days old world with a different character. 

• Like 2

Dr.Medic    1022

i know how to balance the moon portal and it is easy a player is only alowed to change characters every 70 days so ther is no "oh warly spicy food change wolfgang insta kill every boss in 2 seconds and change to general character i play" so you have to actualy play what you choose and not just remove that character from just the builder for others so yes 70 for every player so if player 1 changes player 2 can still change but 1 needs 70 days first

ShadowDuelist    8793

Before it existed it was a very requested feature to have. Probably when implemented it should have had some kind of cooldown per player, or a higher cost to create every idol, or both. But at this point it's probably too late to change that and any nerf will cause a lot of complains.

I guess the closer thing Klei could do to please the people who thinks it's a bit unfair to abuse it, is to add more settings options to it, on the world generation. After all your world, your rules

EG:

Spoiler

• Default (as it is)
  • Disabled (you can build it but not use it, like on the caves)
  • Enabled with short cooldown (20 days from the last use per player)
  • Enabled with medium cooldown (40 days from the last use per player)
  • Enabled with large Cooldown (70 days from the last use per player)
  • Enabled with a limited amount of uses per players per game. (After X changes it wont work for you anymore)

Etc.

• Like 1

Guille6785    638

I don't use it personally but it doesn't affect me that others do, the existence of the portal does absolutely nothing to harm my experience of the game

requesting for this type of features to be nerfed is essentially just saying "I don't use x thing but others shouldn't be allowed to"

• Like 2

Spirit Glow    119
1 minute ago, Guille6785 said:

I don't use it personally but it doesn't affect me that others do, the existence of the portal does absolutely nothing to harm my experience of the game

requesting for this type of features to be nerfed is essentially just saying "I don't use x thing but others shouldn't be allowed to"

Completely agree with this! I guess adding a setting to turn it off in world gen could be useful in case someone doesn't want in used in their world but if someone wants to switch a character often it doesnt really bother me. 

Sometimes i get tired of using a character for over 1000 days and just want to play as someone else without completely losing everything i accomplished in the world. I don't see anything wrong with that.