Baark0

What would you like to see in a future update?

Well-met    6081
9 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

I'm really hoping there's some decent boat/ocean changes in the works, cause ever since the novelty of new content wore off, I've found sailing and collecting ocean loot to be a total slog. The problem is two-fold, imo.

On one hand, you have abysmal maneuverability combined with content that requires the exact opposite.

Clearing a single Brine Shoal requires a couple of days' worth of time spent in a tedious loop of "mine salt, gather some of it, raise anchor, paddle to next salt, drop anchor, mine salt" followed by having to paddle all the way around the rocks to get the salt crystals that fell just out of reach.

Sea Weeds are extremely punishing to fight directly as they attack all at once and you get punished with boat leaks even if you dodge their projectiles. So you are more or less forced to wait for night and go into another tedious loop of "harvest/kill one sea weed, raise anchor, paddle to the next sea weed, drop anchor, kill/harvest sea weed". And that's not gonna give you any meaningful food unless it's a Winter night.

On the other hand, you have a bunch of content that spawns randomly around the player in the same way that Suspicious Dirt Piles do on land. Gnarwails, Ocean Fish, Empty Bottles and subsequently Sunken Chests all spontaneously pop into existence just by spending a lot of time at sea.

Which means, unfortunately, that all of these require an indefinitive time investment to acquire, as you can never really know how long it'll take for them to pop up. Particularly bad in the case of Gnarwail Horns, thermal fish and bottles, which you need several of. 

Essentially, I often get the impression that the ocean is designed to waste the players' time. All the content in it is either time-consuming by default or RNG dependent, which can make it even more time consuming, and the player is apparently expected to just give up everything else they are doing and devote an undefined amount of time just for sailing to get anything out of it.

sea chest loot tables are also bad

ArubaroBeefalo    10349
39 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Clearing a single Brine Shoal requires a couple of days' worth of time spent in a tedious loop of "mine salt, gather some of it, raise anchor, paddle to next salt, drop anchor, mine salt" followed by having to paddle all the way around the rocks to get the salt crystals that fell just out of reach.

Orange amulet found a real use thanks to this

ArubaroBeefalo    10349
16 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

I'm not fond of using ruins loot to collect mediocre materials.

Everything is mediocre in comparation to ruins loot so i guess you never use orange amulets outside of cracks (which sometimes also have mediocre materials)

Having a stack of orange gems is useless so i prefer to waste them to pick up things faster or at sea

BezKa    2752
2 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

After maaaaaanyyyy hours of DST my opinion of rotten eggs as useless clutter has shifted to a useful resource!

No doubt, but I really don't go around the world picking up trash. I just grab the frog legs after a nice rain and feed them all to my bird so the eggs can rot. Depends on the opportunity, sure, but way easier to do once the frog rain arrives. 

• Like 1

Waynel    79

we have merms. it's mermaid time !

the mermaid would lure you away from the steering wheel, and hypnotize (i.e. stunlock you) for 30 seconds, all while sneakily creating a huge leak in your boat. would only be encountered in deep sea.

a death threat for lone sailors

Edited by Waynel

Baark0    832
4 hours ago, Waynel said:

we have merms. it's mermaid time !

the mermaid would lure you away from the steering wheel, and hypnotize (i.e. stunlock you) for 30 seconds, all while sneakily creating a huge leak in your boat. would only be encountered in deep sea.

a death threat for lone sailors

Hopefully an item would be added to be able to negate their lure, otherwise it sounds like you'd just get punished for not having friends to play with.

• Big Ups 1

Behan    108

The one thing I really want is Maxwell's refresh. Better shadow UI, staves increased durability for him and/or damage buff and/or exclusive staff. I feel like Maxwell is the one character that could exploit more of the constant's logic, but thats lacking.

• Like 4

Captain_Rage    1920
7 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

Sea Weeds are extremely punishing to fight directly as they attack all at once and you get punished with boat leaks even if you dodge their projectiles. So you are more or less forced to wait for night and go into another tedious loop of "harvest/kill one sea weed, raise anchor, paddle to the next sea weed, drop anchor, kill/harvest sea weed". And that's not gonna give you any meaningful food unless it's a Winter night.

Try using Electric Darts. They work wonders. :D Reeds regrow every third day in 3/4 of the seasons and are not that tedious to gather, especially when you have a domesticated Beefalo. Saffron Feathers can be produced in a pretty efficient way with a proper setup. Trading eels for gold makes it easy to amass.

I'd say there are ways to take on Sea Weeds already. But yes, without Electric Darts / preparations you are toying with death at sea if you start poking them.

As an added bonus you can replant the Sea Weeds on sea stacks closer to the coast later.

Gold:

Spoiler

20210424010103_1.thumb.jpg.7a51746de0ae67cd86f3ba8f53896ae0.jpg20210424011701_1.thumb.jpg.661d8259c8ad0d91430e85dbc5feef3d.jpg

20210424011453_1.thumb.jpg.96ccae48c656b4f2a450fcc7410ef9b0.jpg

2 Silk + 2 Twigs = 1 Fishing Rod = 9 Eels = 45 Gold

Superb efficiency!

Saffron Feathers:

Spoiler

20210511042646_1.thumb.jpg.9d3bf79e77f3a27a28922209410cab6f.jpg

20210511033641_1.thumb.jpg.d0bd5605f922c86a33ad258208ce0866.jpg

4 Silk + 3 Twigs = 8 Canaries = 40-48 Saffron Feathers

Rather resource efficient but a tad time consuming. Birds can be baited using seeds for faster catching. A Feather Hat might speeds things up as well, although setting ~ 4 Bird Traps with seeds (you probably have an excess of seeds already if you are farming) and passively waiting should also give you enough Canaries pretty fast (sometimes one day is enough, even without seeds as bait). The only caveat is that sometimes other birds get caught instead.

The goods news is that you can scale this up to your desired amount. If you hit the two timings right ([1] picking up canaries when all the bird traps are full, [2] collecting the all canaries once they turn volatile) this method is actually not that tedious at all, considering the amount of feathers you get per run.

Reeds:

Spoiler

Well, head out and collect them.

Sea Weed replanting:

Spoiler

20210716210354_1.thumb.jpg.51e2ea4a7de9d9916ebb7f4c7daeba6c.jpg

20210717215945_1.thumb.jpg.70b564ff76fde01b6f4802e32f6bf696.jpg

20210718011054_1.thumb.jpg.c2b289267cf0a418eddb60982c8278ed.jpg

20210717231411_1.thumb.jpg.4dd46d045a3edf292b4b33a1d4dfce9f.jpg

Edited by Captain_Rage

This Humble Rose Appraiser desires the following:

1. Mild reworks of less used items (compass, bath bombs, healing salve, etc.)
  2. More lore (self explanatory)
  3. A more lively ocean (nothing enormous is really needed, just little decorations would suffice in making the ocean less blank)
  4. More Celestial crafts (see other forum posts, they do this topic more just than this list can)
  5. Some long term world changes (such as the infinite full moon/reset moon cycle, see @Szczuku's post for further details)
  6. New characters/reworks (equally self explanatory)

Just-guy    1286

I would like to see an overhaul of the wetness mechanic for mobs, something similar to this mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1877835661, where you can wet mobs with water balloons for a certain ammount of time without waiting to rain; it could also wet fire needles so you were able to pick them without having to suffer the damage.

• Like 2

minespatch    88747
13 hours ago, BoySyrup said:

Someone's salty.

(Please don't assalt me, sorry for ruinsing your day.)

5b1e16e0eaa28_alterofsalt.png.152d1642ef502e0f7f165dc920e8c606.png

Szczuku    17321

Another thing, that I forgot to mention in my post, is an endgame crafting station that'd allow us to craft boulders, mushrooms, rabit holes, magma rocks etc. It would be a great thing to have if you want to (somewhat) terraform your world but don't want to use commands

• Like 1
  • Sanity 2
  • Big Ups 1

Baark0    832
7 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Another thing, that I forgot to mention in my post, is an endgame crafting station that'd allow us to craft boulders, mushrooms, rabit holes, magma rocks etc. It would be a great thing to have if you want to (somewhat) terraform your world but don't want to use commands

This, yes, I would love for a way to plant mushtrees to make a mushroom forest build, or adding flintless boulders to volt goat pens.

Dextops    1627
8 hours ago, Szczuku said:

could be cool for an even more endgame boss like celestial champion level because terraforming your world seems pretty good or in a way that isn't just fight boss idk

It's a pipe dream but I always thought diving and going underwater (gameplay wise being similar to caves) would be awesome, using those old diving suits and whatnot. It would be an entirely new area and could be a huge content update, with deep sea themed bosses and terrain would be fascinating.

• Thanks 1

Azamagon    28
On 7/20/2021 at 2:16 PM, QuartzBeam said:

-snip-

Essentially, I often get the impression that the ocean is designed to waste the players' time. All the content in it is either time-consuming by default or RNG dependent, which can make it even more time consuming, and the player is apparently expected to just give up everything else they are doing and devote an undefined amount of time just for sailing to get anything out of it.

How about:

Fishing Rod + Grappling Hook float = You can loot stuff in the ocean from a distance? This Grappling Hook item would either have a LOT of durability, or as I would suggest it, simply have unlimited useage.

I feel such a thing would help immensly with the tedium of the ocean.

Edited by Azamagon

-Variant    7660
5 minutes ago, Azamagon said:

How about:

Fishing Rod + Grappling Hook float = You can loot stuff in the ocean from a distance? This Grappling Hook item would either have a LOT of durability, or as I would suggest it, simply have unlimited useage.

I feel such a thing would help immensly with the tedium of the ocean.

What's weird is there was something just like this! There was a cut net item that'd let you pick up items from a distance and drop them at your feet, it's super useful and fun to toy around with but I dunno why it was cut.

• Like 2

Mike23Ua    10838

Is it wrong of me to say that eventually I want a BIG update for Don’t Starve Together? I mean surely Klei has to realize at some point that they have a game that is Technically their OWN Version of Minecraft, Apex Legends, Fortnite or GTA V Aka- Games that have a very long life span and don’t really “need” sequels because they keep adding to it and changing things up to keep it exciting and fresh..

We have already seen them shake farming to it’s very foundation: used to it was a very boring process of plant seed, fertilize with poop= Instant crop, now it’s more interactive, till, tend, water, fertilize care for.. it makes you the player more engaged with the game.

Sea fishing is the same way, poles, different lures etc.. 

They have shook and continue to shake this game franchise to its very core.

Wendy who used to hit below average now is rewarded insane damage if she tends to Abby, Willow who used to freeze to death and Suffer going insane while cold now has Bernie who provides warmth and is arguably the single best thing in the game to fight insanity monsters with.

The game is changing, and as long as they don’t completely abandon what it started out as.. in my opinion it is changing for the better. 

SinancoTheBest    4311

I'd really like to see a new biome that pops up in a couple places on the ocean. A sort of chill place...  And some water spiders please.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

minespatch    88747
1 minute ago, SinancoTheBest said:

I'd really like to see a new biome that pops up in a couple places on the ocean. A sort of chill place...  And some water spiders please.