Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

brucemo

A scheduling QOL improvement

Recommended Posts

brucemo    32

I want to make a new schedule, which will copy the default schedule I guess, and shift it earlier or later by a few hours. I would imagine that this is probably an enormously common reason why someone would make a new schedule.

So how about an "earlier" and "later" button, or some such, that would achieve this with one click?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
crbd115    331
6 hours ago, brucemo said:

I want to make a new schedule, which will copy the default schedule I guess, and shift it earlier or later by a few hours. I would imagine that this is probably an enormously common reason why someone would make a new schedule.

So how about an "earlier" and "later" button, or some such, that would achieve this with one click?

I feel like it would be easy enough to have a duplicate schedule button, not as easy to shift it but probably not impossible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JaxckLl    135

This seems like a fundamentally superfluous feature. Scheduling is already super easy to set up, and there's really never a reason to change anything once you set up your initial three schedules. I'd much rather see attention paid to existing bugs & balance issues long before a button that will be clicked twice in an entire playthrough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
crbd115    331
3 hours ago, JaxckLl said:

This seems like a fundamentally superfluous feature. Scheduling is already super easy to set up, and there's really never a reason to change anything once you set up your initial three schedules. I'd much rather see attention paid to existing bugs & balance issues long before a button that will be clicked twice in an entire playthrough.

twice? I would probably do it at minimum 8 times :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JaxckLl    135

Why? There's a finite number of ways to fully cover a 24-block schedule. Three schedules with offset break periods is ideal. This can easily be set up early without any need for further fiddling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
crbd115    331
44 minutes ago, JaxckLl said:

Why? There's a finite number of ways to fully cover a 24-block schedule. Three schedules with offset break periods is ideal. This can easily be set up early without any need for further fiddling.

I usually have 8 schedules with 2 dupes on each schedule. Its not a big deal its just a QOL thing he's asking for which would mostly involve minimal implementation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yobbo    142
8 hours ago, JaxckLl said:

I'd much rather see attention paid to existing bugs & balance issues long before a button that will be clicked twice in an entire playthrough.

Having to click less is the whole point of this request.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pether    1033
9 hours ago, JaxckLl said:

I'd much rather see attention paid to existing bugs & balance issues long before a button that will be clicked twice in an entire playthrough.

You sound like bug fixing, overall game balance and game performance fixes were as easy as adding a button that makes a shift. If that was the case I would be outraged that there are still bugs, but the reality is that what you request is not one-hour task to complete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JaxckLl    135
14 hours ago, pether said:

You sound like bug fixing, overall game balance and game performance fixes were as easy as adding a button that makes a shift. If that was the case I would be outraged that there are still bugs, but the reality is that what you request is not one-hour task to complete.

Probably not, as anyone with experience in software design could tell you. The point is that this "feature" is completely unnecessary and will no doubt still require manual attention to work properly. Do you designate a shift and then the game creates a new shift for you that is a copy but offset? Does the button decide for itself which shift to base itself off? What happens if you have a set of shifts that add up to more than 24 blocks? What happens if you assign a shift that has no work blocks? What happens if you add custom blocks via mods? What happens if you add scheduling presets via mods? Does this button work across planetoids & rockets?

There's so many questions that come from this idea and that's not even an exhaustive list. But the ultimate question is "Is this a useful feature most players will use as part of normal gameplay" and the answer is really "No".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yobbo    142
9 hours ago, JaxckLl said:

The point is that this "feature" is completely unnecessary

It's clearly labeled as a QOL suggestion. Are you being deliberately disingenuous by calling it "unnecessary"?

9 hours ago, JaxckLl said:

But the ultimate question is "Is this a useful feature most players will use as part of normal gameplay" and the answer is really "No".

Several people have agreed that they would like this addition. Arguing that somebody's suggestion is worthless because it doesn't happen to be useful to you is neither polite, nor constructive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blakemw    127
On 6/13/2021 at 1:43 AM, JaxckLl said:

Why? There's a finite number of ways to fully cover a 24-block schedule. Three schedules with offset break periods is ideal. This can easily be set up early without any need for further fiddling.

24 blocks means 12 schedules. Or do only psychopaths make 12 shifts with 1 dupe per shift?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
crbd115    331
13 hours ago, blakemw said:

Or do only psychopaths make 12 shifts with 1 dupe per shift?

I must be a sociopath then since I do 2 dupes per shift. :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brucemo    32

No, this is not an enormous thing. But it's also something would be a minor improvement, and would likely involve trivial time expenditure on the part of a dev, wouldn't require documentation, would lead to zero bugs, and wouldn't clutter up the UI.

I think that people would be more likely to use the schedule feature if this was part of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites