I’m too dumb to stop my rocket platforms from melting

Ok.  I’ve logged 300 hours in this awesome game but I still somehow can’t keep my DLC rocket platforms from melting on launch.

I’ve tried building them in the vacuum, on regolith, on tile, and even a giant aquatuner-cooled steam tank.  Generally using gold platforms but have experimented with other materials a bit.

Sometimes it happens on first launch.  Sometimes it builds up heat over a few launches.  But the platforms pretty quickly get destroyed by the rocket exhaust (along with the igneous insulating tiles and pipes in my cooling tank).

So my questions are:

1) I could try higher temp materials but people seem to be launching successfully from the early game.  Is there some other way to keep the platforms cool that I’m missing? 

2) Has anyone calculated how much the heat output changes by rocket type?  

3) Has anyone had issues with rocket heat cooking their base?

I've had my platform melt numerous times.  I found if there's air or an air flow tile below the platform it doesn't exchange heat.  It only seems to do it when it's up against a solid tile or submerged in liquid.

Each rocket engine has a certain space underneath it that it heats, and some put out way more heat than others. I think the petrol engine for example is a 3x9 box under the engine. The CO₂ engine is smaller, 3x5? You can pause the game while launching to see what heats up and by how much. The CO₂ engine for example doesn't produce much heat at all.

I usually have an empty area under the rocket that i vent out to space after each launch. That means most of the heat effectively just vanishes with the rocket exhaust. I insulate that from the rest of the base.

Now that platforms are solid you can probably dribble waste liquid on them to cool them. That's likely what i'd do if i had this problem. Good use for that ugly germy toilet water before it vents into the nihilism of space. Assuming your platform is in space, that is.

I've never actually had a non-lead platform melt, but then i do like my cheap CO₂ rockets.

On 6/5/2021 at 11:32 PM, mrstupendous said:

Ok.  I’ve logged 300 hours in this awesome game but I still somehow can’t keep my DLC rocket platforms from melting on launch.

I’ve tried building them in the vacuum, on regolith, on tile, and even a giant aquatuner-cooled steam tank.  Generally using gold platforms but have experimented with other materials a bit.

Sometimes it happens on first launch.  Sometimes it builds up heat over a few launches.  But the platforms pretty quickly get destroyed by the rocket exhaust (along with the igneous insulating tiles and pipes in my cooling tank).

So my questions are:

1) I could try higher temp materials but people seem to be launching successfully from the early game.  Is there some other way to keep the platforms cool that I’m missing? 

3) Has anyone had issues with rocket heat cooking their base?

3) YES, YES. Yes

Especially for stacked rocket launches ( stacking and launching multiple rockets on top of each other ) I can recommend to build thousands of tempshift plates, especially with cables laying on top. One can find a compromise between material availability, heat capacity and heat transfer speed  for the used tempshift plates. IMHO a true cold war missile bunker has lots of plates, because ..."heavy", "fun", "useful", "artistic" and "why not".

https://oxygennotincluded.fandom.com/wiki/Tempshift_Plate

@DimaB77 Perhaps you have got a great link on temp shift plates and a material heat storage/transfer speed overview :confused::p:beguiled:

On 6/6/2021 at 12:32 AM, mrstupendous said:

To answer that I made a topic (and then I totally forgot to post here after that.. :roll: )

1. Higher temp materials help but, if something doesn't change, rocket platforms that are used often will need actual cooling (aquatuner, steam turbine and radiant pipe running behind them)

2. I haven't put it in a table to compare them but, from my observations, CO2 engine wouldn't melt a platform (probably steam engine too but I haven't played much with that lately). Every other engine gives off temps ~1400C (or more) in their exhaust so iron, steel or tungsten would (probably... ) not melt under the rocket exhaust.

Here is what is happening and rocket platforms melt now but didn't melt a couple of updates ago (when rocket platform was not a walk-on-top building type).

23 minutes ago, DimaB77 said:

sakura_sk already answered.

Huh, on tempshift plates ? :p:confused: Any link on temphift plates and material overviews for tempshift plates would be welcome...:cheerful:

Some overview of showing all the game materials, the heat capacity and heat transfer rates...That would be awesome :congratulatory: If someone has the ultimate material overview for tempshift plates on hand ?

8 minutes ago, babba said:

Some overview of showing all the game materials, the heat capacity and heat transfer rates

That's an interesting idea, I'll think about a simple review article about it. Well, for a serious theory, you have to go to a mathmanican and company.

8 minutes ago, DimaB77 said:

That's an interesting idea, I'll think about a simple review article about it. Well, for a serious theory, you have to go to a mathmanican and company.

That would be great and handy someday :p Basically it would be all materials for tempshift plates, the heat capacity and heat dissipation speed. A complete direct overview on one sheet, without clicking around in menus or sub pages :encouragement:

Just make rockets and everything else that requires metal out of steel to start and use obsidian tiles and ladders. I have had no problems with anything melting with copper, iron or cobalt before but just using materials that can 100% withstand the exhaust temperature saves you from any potential trouble.

12 hours ago, ZombieDupe said:

Just make rockets and everything else that requires metal out of steel

Actually tungsten is better. Steel wires used to melt in vanilla while tungsten was pretty safe. Tungsten platforms should have their melting point above the exhaust gasses temperature.

Archived