Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

MikoFanboy    1365

is it just me or the Cawnival tree and the yard look kinda "out of place", something that from a mod (especially the yar)

image.thumb.png.4a1eafa08211825c1183c4f1e2b2c206.png

it look so nice in this picture though, but seeing it ingame kinda disappointing 

image.thumb.png.46566f64c55bb7cd14caf7e1b98889c8.png

-Variant    7682

I've got to agree.
A lot of the art in this update is really nice!
A few things do stick out to me though. 

The tree and the rugs really feel out of placed and under detailed to me...

Falkenpelz    1763

That is honestly the first thing I thought about the carpets, I don't know, if it's missing shadows or something, but they really do not align with the ground visually. Seems a little to bright and perfectly symmetric, too. I also had the general feeling, that recently a lot of new designs and shorts had brighter colours and more defined outlines as opposed to the original, darker, more uncertain scribble-style of DS. This is purely subjective, but I'd really love to see more of the "old" style again. 

CodexCorporis    701

Kill the oversimplification of art styles. This just looks...... it's not bad, but it clashes so terribly with the rest of the game, it's hard for me to enjoy it aesthetically.

Just-guy    1287

I like the design but I also find them quite bright due to the more saturated colors compared to the more dark tones of the rest of the game.

The color palette fits the game but the lack of shading makes it somewhat uncanny.

Kur0u    1068

I don't think the old artists are working on dst anymore, they changed departments, Toni, Leira, a lot more people I believe.... Everything that don't starve was, screams of their artstyle, all the squiggly lines and asymmetrical feel of everything, rougher. To me it seems like they left after the gorge. The new artists behind everything we get after that up until now have a different art style, brighter coloring, thicker lines. That's something we'll have to accustom to. It's hard to pick up someone else's artstyle and make the fans happy, it's a real burden. But kudos to the team. I think they are working hard on it and I feel like they are improving a lot with more updates.

x0-VERSUS-1y    7629
3 hours ago, Kur0u said:

I don't think the old artists are working on dst anymore, they changed departments, Toni, Leira, a lot more people I believe.... Everything that don't starve was, screams of their artstyle, all the squiggly lines and asymmetrical feel of everything, rougher. To me it seems like they left after the gorge. The new artists behind everything we get after that up until now have a different art style, brighter coloring, thicker lines.

I too am of the impression original DS/T artists either aren't working anymore on DS/T content, or just superficially supervise current updates' art output. That, or being on a relatively "punctual" schedule (I assume that's happening with Tencent oversight - no more leisurely "delays upon delays" permitted), quality is being inherently sacrificed. Because more-and-more design aspects look subpar in relation to past in-game art. Most recent examples: the "floors" (carpets? pavements?!) for this Cawnival Tree, and attractions/games - they are too simple, too 1-2 matte colors, almost no texturing and shading. Frankly they look more like what you would expect from a Steam Workshop mod, and not a good one mind you. Rest of elements appear nice, like stands, decorations and whatnot. Yet yes, from YotB Beef dresses to present Cawnival items, graphical elements not only get over-simplified, but likewise the color palette is going brighter-and-brighter to the point it doesn't have original DS "burtonesque" feeling anymore - and for people fancying this quintessential guise of the game, is a pity.

Mooagain    2496

I don't have strong feelings about the changes in style, but it kind of makes sense lore-wise since Maxwell's not in charge anymore. The original NR video is mostly Charlie changing the design of the throne room to be less nightmarish, No surprise she's doing that to the rest of the world. 

Karitha    3182

I don't know if it is kind of placebo effect but I think art corruption started before than you would realize. It started with trailers, then portraits and in-game objects now.

There is few things I noticed.

First one is lines, they could be a little bolder and had more mistake sketches.
resim_2021-06-04_192404.thumb.png.5bdd4ab805b340f9f796450d719d2654.pngresim_2021-06-04_192447.thumb.png.380ebffa0b2aec7d031cc29b06ce2cdb.png

Old DST art used to fill every space in a drawing -even with sketches- but now there is a lot of space. Just compare those where are patterns, damn minimalism.
image.png.bfe8af2dee3fdfcbfd83a09ea1fede87.pngimage.png.5158388d31eeb91c21bfba1d7c5577b1.png

New creatures color palettes don't fit other ones. They could be a little darker and the colour changes could be a little harder (I mean opposite colours could be used on mob drawing.). I liked crabking's and maltbatross's look but celestial king clearly don't fit to the game, in colors and style.
Check everycolour of it, all pallete used little different tones of blue. It's too futuristic for a game that use 1800-1900's timeline. Color pallete Art style looks like Electric Boss from Legion  mod which I feel like it's out out game too but sadly this mod's boss looks much much better than celestial.

resim_2021-06-04_193940.thumb.png.a1895b21fe23e01f88d3ba09d9a376ba.pngimage.png.7e19bba5a59268c04fcfe984742df9ae.png

Also inb4 "This is a moon boss, what would you except?". Ummm something like that? Not robotic? It's also from Legion mod.
image.png.33300a0bcf1e4976a1a3e51d062c2333.png

Hornete    10333
4 minutes ago, Slagger said:

Color pallete looks like Electric Boss from Legion  mod which I feel like it's out out game too but sadly this mod's boss looks much much better than celestial.

I don't see how it looks familiar, the Electric Boss from Legion has a color pallete of iron-looking metallic colors and electricity-like colors inside the armor, while the Celestial Champion clearly has the color pallete of the colors used for moonrock, moonglass, and gestalts.

I can agree on the carpet for the Carnival tree being a bit empty and bland, but comparing the Celestial Champion to this legion boss is a bit silly I feel.

YouKnowWho    8226

I feel like the carpet would end up being too crowded if they added too much to it, considering it's whole purpose is to be covered in decorations.

Karitha    3182
44 minutes ago, Hornete said:

but comparing the Celestial Champion to this legion boss is a bit silly I feel.

You are totally right. Sorry, I was talking about the style but writed wrong don't know why.
About the style, they both are "futuristic, energy based statue bosses". Unlike the other bosses they are not organic or hibrit of few creatures and in my opinion, that kind of creature don't fit into DST world. DST is more like gothic and old. You would except seeing iron plates with gears, not the crystalized robots.

Falkenpelz    1763

I really do hope the devs are aware of this and take the constructive criticism serious. Of course there are various artists working at Klei who all have to try maintaining the same style plus, if some old artists really left, replicating their style as well and I don't want to put more pressure on them. And one reason the Constant is getting more cheery and colourful since a while is probably the fact, that the change to a multiplayer game makes it need a little more colour and fun since you have a different approach to the game when you're not playing alone, but with friends. Still, I really hope for a "Renaissance" of the burtonesque style. And while I'm totally in love with the otherwordly, enchanting atmosphere of the lunar island, the design of the Champion feels kind of anticlimatic to me, third phase is okay, but the others are... hm, all the epic build-up and instead of a ghost-like eldritch god-entitiy we get a rock-robot with 3 stompy feet who does spin.

Oof, sorry for the essay

Atkvin    646

I haven't seen much of the Cawnival ingame yet, but the carpet/yard in particular does look off to me.

I think this angle of the carpet just doesn't look quite right because of how asymmetric the design is(looking at how the larger semicircles align, the stars) and its colors especially stick out on this turf. I can imagine the colors working much better on lighter grassy turf, and not having turf mixing under it on top of that.

They should probably have worked with thinner lines and added more detail and glossy textures - normal turfs where all structures are placed on are detailed as heck, the yard being a place for decor isn't much of an excuse, and stands out too much without it even if intended for prominence. That and allowing the yard to adapt to turf it's on, or more simply adding a chunk of bright green turf around and inside the yard should hopefully easily solve the color issue.

As is you can see the lower lines are thicker than the player character's, despite the carpet not having the gameplay importance or visual detail to back it up its prominence, and again, it's too inflexible on dark turf.

I haven't played DST in a while, but looking backwards I certainly do see the startling lack of detail, textures and disarmingly more vibrant colors when checking out the Year of Beefalo costumes in particular.

I don't think it's some big, moral problem we need to petition to the devs but I do hope for those assets that were rushed or not iterated properly, they take note of it and amend the artstyle/advice the artist of these elements to fit with the rest of the game better

Spoiler

673806745_preview_8072ba1146001d648b2fc94b.png.ee35d53d20251f34d78b33c74d077682.png.031ae38a7e5ea5d04fafd17e747aeb7b.pngfc781dfe9a4ec33323c1420b21233ae6.thumb.png.9e86c3e16796ce287ece31072cdb5c89.png

(*cough* forreal though, whatever happened to some of the skin portraits starting from like the Magmatic set onwards)

Fuffles    4304

the biggest thing that bothers me with the cawnival tree is that they seem to not make it as lush as the previous ones were, just compare them yourself
kKzyvI9.png

Compared to the classic trees the new tree feels flat and nearly devoid of the lines that make it feel lush
Even the Sugarwood Tree has got a lot of furry leaves that blended well with the gorge enviroment

Now looking at the Cawnival Tree, it just seems like a lot of zig zagging with more zigs at random hues between grey and black with random yellow star/explosive shapes and the birch tree's textural pattern pasted in the background
Even something about the trunk being much less pure front view and more upper front view makes it stand out so much more

As for the style shift, yes. It has been happening, I did my rant post and deleted it shortly after. Unsure if anything will be done about this art clash issue, but we can only hope

PunkShark    998

I don't think you understand the hell you have to go through to make this artstyle as it once was in 100% accuracy. there's a bunch of animators/artists on DST now and not everyone will be able to recreate this artstyle cause, its hard, like really hard. When you got a bunch of animators/artists you *will* have art clashing and not everyone will make it the same. This has been happening before AnR. Hell it happened in the DST launch trailer.

To say that you want the old arstyle back is putting the same people who worked on this game for years to work on the same project for even longer. but it can't always be like that. They have to move on too. To newer projects to make Klei greater than just DST and expand. I don't think there's a so called "fix" for this but to just adapt to the newer artists.

thegreatJash    1703
1 hour ago, Fuffles said:

the biggest thing that bothers me with the cawnival tree is that they seem to not make it as lush as the previous ones were, just compare them yourself
kKzyvI9.png

Compared to the classic trees the new tree feels flat and nearly devoid of the lines that make it feel lush
Even the Sugarwood Tree has got a lot of furry leaves that blended well with the gorge enviroment

Now looking at the Cawnival Tree, it just seems like a lot of zig zagging with more zigs at random hues between grey and black with random yellow star/explosive shapes and the birch tree's textural pattern pasted in the background
Even something about the trunk being much less pure front view and more upper front view makes it stand out so much more

As for the style shift, yes. It has been happening, I did my rant post and deleted it shortly after. Unsure if anything will be done about this art clash issue, but we can only hope

Is it just me or are these trees moving in the picture? Seems like sort of an optical illusion.

GenomeSquirrel    1162
57 minutes ago, Wendy C. said:

Bring  back Burtonesque. 
BRING BACK BURTONESQUE.

Interesting that's what you call it, not knowing any of Burton's 2D work, I always thought of it mimicking Invader Zim's

Wendy C.    579
1 hour ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

Interesting that's what you call it, not knowing any of Burton's 2D work, I always thought of it mimicking Invader Zim's

They're very similar in theme. 
Rough edges (usually made of scribbles), hand-drawn, even when computer-generated still being designed to LOOK hand-drawn, dark colors, deep shadows, etc. 
Either way, bring it back, Klei. It's the SOUL of the franchise's design, and to compromise it is insulting and unfaithful. 

Atkvin    646

No professional here, and I'm not sure I've ever paid much attention to the intricacies of DS's style - but felt like giving a shake at prettying up this screenshot.

image.thumb.png.4a1eafa08211825c1183c4f1e2b2c206.png

807386392_cawnivalredrawnonsmokinchips.thumb.png.c963b04d1d0471542a0fe37955123718.png

minespatch    88778
3 hours ago, Wendy C. said:

Bring  back Burtonesque. 
BRING BACK BURTONESQUE.

I think the term is "Expressionist". Like Murnau and Ronald Searle?

Wendy C.    579
18 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I think the term is "Expressionist". Like Murnau and Ronald Searle?

Yes, these art styles are wonderfully dark; to make the horrifying into the whimsical without actually sacrificing any of the Horror. 
This is an extremely important part of the game's design, and yet it's dying.