Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Dextops

veggie/fruit recipes

would you like more vegan recipes  

107 members have voted

1. 1. would you like more vegan recipes

• yes
    • no
    • i don't care

Dextops    1587

so there aren't many good vegan recipes (lookin at you stuffed eggplant) so for a wurt main its kinda farm or bust so i'd like it if i had more choices in recipes in the crockpot what are your takes

QuartzBeam    5497

I mean, the addition of more veggie recipes wouldn't make Wurt any less reliant on farms, what with them being the primary source of veggies.

Dextops    1587
47 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

I mean, the addition of more veggie recipes wouldn't make Wurt any less reliant on farms, what with them being the primary source of veggies.

hmm true i just want more of a reason to make a crockpot other than for a handful of recipes

Frosty_Mentos    1602
1 hour ago, Baguettes said:

Pomegranate and Durian are just fillers.
So, I'd call for more fruit recipes.

if only there'd be butter substitutes :(

Lokena    101

Actually, I was surprised that recipes with leafy meat and barnacles are not considered vegetarian. I mean... Yes, barnacles are animals in reality, but in the game they are rather young shoots of seaweed, which, of course, alive, but flowers. And leafy meat is still leafy, so it would be funny if it was considered both meat and vegetable food at the same time, and it could be eaten by both Wurt and Wigfrid. I think the biggest problem is the lack of nutritious food among vegetable recipes, which mainly affects hunger. Aside from mandrake soup(seriously, who spends mangragora on it?) and fresh fruit crepes, available only for Warly and requiring butter, the most nutritious recipe is dragonpie. But it can't be grown properly all year round, and it spoils very quickly.

They gave Wurt bonus to food for this very reason, and with this bonus in mind, it's not that bad. Even ordinary dishes give her +50. But at least a couple of recipes that add the same +75(+100 for Wurt) would be nice. They don't have to be simple, but... For example, they could add special corn and popcorn fish dishes. They are considered a vegetable food and are quite common, but it's not too much use. Yeah, Wurt can eat kelp fronds without penalty in sea, but... Variety, I guess? Or she wouldn't eat fish on principle? She has phrases about the dishes from the Winter Fest, that they are just vegetables folded into the shape of fish, and she has no problems with them. About corn cod and leafy meat she's not sure.

But if we are talking about vegetables in general, even without additional recipes, it would be nice to add some way to preserve their freshness. Yes, the game has salt and a salt box, but except for kelp fronds, there is no drying option for vegetables and fruits, although in the unrealized content there were actually concepts of dried mushrooms. How quickly they spoil is one of the main reasons why I don't use vegetables that much. Or, for example, fruits could be not dried, but candied with honey, which would give them that third "long-lasting" stage. In reality, this is a popular way to save them. Just a thought.

Mday    476
5 hours ago, Baguettes said:

Pomegranate and Durian are just fillers.
So, I'd call for more fruit recipes.

Fruit Medley: :wilson_cry:

Baguettes    367
26 minutes ago, Mday said:

Fruit Medley: :wilson_cry:

Well yes, while that exists, remember that it is not very nutritional. I know it removes penalty from durians but if you're willing to put 3 durians in and a twig just for 20 health, you're missing out 75 hunger; a day's worth of food, just for -15 sanity which you can easily recover from; provided the durians are cooked of course.

Unless you wanna lose 50 hunger for 20 health, it should be okay when you're desperate for some healing.
Also, nobody would put 3 pomegranates into the pot, yeah? (Cook them and you get 37.5 hunger and 60 health.)

Baark0    804

Haven't started a Wurt only world yet, but I imagine you'd do something like bundle up a bunch of ratatouille and dragonpie. I like the idea of candying fruits, maybe make them restore extra sanity similar to jerky.

Owlrus    4909

Honestly I always found it annoying how Wurt has all these rules to what she cannot eat, but Wigfrid has a lot of loopholes in what she CAN eat. Jellybeans, Mushy Cake (which is made up entirely of mushrooms btw), Taffy, and Volt Goat Chaud-Froid are things that Wigfrig (a battle-hardened Valkyrie/Actor whom refuses to eat anything that doesn't include meat) can eat; but Wurt cannot eat Leafy Meat (something made of plant material, despite it having "meat" in the name) as an exception. So I ask, why does Wigfrid get all the love?

Lokena    101
2 hours ago, Owlrus said:

So I ask, why does Wigfrid get all the love?

She can't drink coffee. Practically a "never choose" verdict for any Shipwrecked world. Doesn't apply to DST, but I wouldn't say that she is allowed everything. Wurt still needs to be allowed to eat leafy meat, though. 

Hornete    10283
2 hours ago, Owlrus said:

Honestly I always found it annoying how Wurt has all these rules to what she cannot eat, but Wigfrid has a lot of loopholes in what she CAN eat. Jellybeans, Mushy Cake (which is made up entirely of mushrooms btw), Taffy, and Volt Goat Chaud-Froid are things that Wigfrig (a battle-hardened Valkyrie/Actor whom refuses to eat anything that doesn't include meat) can eat; but Wurt cannot eat Leafy Meat (something made of plant material, despite it having "meat" in the name) as an exception. So I ask, why does Wigfrid get all the love?

I'm guessing Klei added the goodies/sweet food type just so that jellybeans wouldn't be completely useless to her, I imagine Klei didn't really want a repeat of Coffee in DS(which she could not eat) and decided to go for this loophole where she's okay with candies. As for why she "gets all the love", I don't think there's really any meat dishes in the game that have effects similar to that of Mushy cake or Jellybeans, so Wurt doesn't need exceptions like Wigfrid. I suppose Leafy Meat isn't really comparable to Jellybeans which have a special effect and take much more effort to get (defeating bee queen).

Also, I think it's important to mention that Wurt's diet isn't a choice unlike Wigfrids, Wigfrid is so into her act she chooses not to eat veggies/fruits and what not, but Wurt literally can't digest meat items, the way you can tell is Wurt simply doesn't get the option to try and eat meat and refuse it, she just can't digest it so she doesn't get the option to try in the first place. So it might be tougher to make exceptions for Wurt because of this but who knows.

Lokena    101
5 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I don't think there's really any meat dishes in the game that have effects similar to that of Mushy cake or Jellybeans, so Wurt doesn't need exceptions like Wigfrid.

Well, it's true, even almost all Warly dishes with special effects are vegetable(except for one that doesn't get you wet, and this is exactly what Wurt doesn't threaten). But while there are no special effects among meat recipes, there are also no highly nutritious dishes among vegetable recipes. When they updated the ocean - they added a lot of new recipes, and especially recipes with +75 hunger. This is mainly food for long trips to the sea, but they are all meat, which is not quite fair. They gave Wigfrid the ability to get special effects by adding a candy type of food(to be fair, she doesn't get access to all of them, Warly special dishes still don't work on her for the reason described above). Why can't they give Wurt the opportunity to sate more hunger by giving access to some more satisfying meals?

Right now dragonpie is not just the best choice, it's almost the only one in its category, with such nutritional value. And get stuck with just one thing... Well, it's not much fun. Eat something not from the crock pot all the time... Debatable. Some people like to cook. And the addition of such vegetarian dishes could expand the possibilities for conquering caves and living near bunnymans. It doesn't have to be leafy meat, it's just that leafy meat is an already existing recipe, and they won't have to come up with something new in this regard.

More recipes from the food available in the caves are also an interesting idea, by the way. Maybe it would attract me to build a base there for once. Now there's only banana pop and an eel dish on this list. Not very nutritious, and Wurt will only be able to eat one of them. And growing farms underground isn't that easy. You either need to find a place with natural light coming through from the surface(so the base right in the ruins is not an option), or spend the star staff every time. This also applies to bees, which further narrows the options(and for them you will have to plant only evil flowers, so that they don't wilt down there, which is another challenge, especially if you play alone).

As things stand now, Wurt really have less opportunities to spend much time in the sea or caves. And while she has access to a lot more special effects, she doesn't even need some of them. For example, she can effectively warm up and cool down with fish that is stored in her inventory for much longer, instead of using Warly dishes. Wigfrid and Wurt both have their own drawbacks and bonuses, they have their own playing styles, and they don't have to have access to everything. But they should have alternatives that give them access to a certain gaming experience. The fact that Wurt is tied to the farms and the constant feeding the merm king makes her a much more base-bound character, which may not appeal to everyone. Because of this, the fact that they make exceptions for Wigfrid and give her more freedom could become more noticeable, and for someone, unfair.

Mday    476
9 hours ago, Baguettes said:

Well yes, while that exists, remember that it is not very nutritional. I know it removes penalty from durians but if you're willing to put 3 durians in and a twig just for 20 health, you're missing out 75 hunger; a day's worth of food, just for -15 sanity which you can easily recover from; provided the durians are cooked of course.

Unless you wanna lose 50 hunger for 20 health, it should be okay when you're desperate for some healing.
Also, nobody would put 3 pomegranates into the pot, yeah? (Cook them and you get 37.5 hunger and 60 health.)

But it is fruit medley :C

Theukon-dos    3226

Another issue is that Crops tend to be really good on their lonesome. Sure, some of them are pretty sub-par or average on their own, such as Garlic, onion, and peppers. But half of the crops crops are really good to eat on their own.

Toma roots and pomegranate restore 20 HP, which is really good if you consider that that's for a single ingredient in a crock pot.

Corn and Asparagus are as filling as meat. Corn straight off the stalk and Asparagus once you cook it.

Potatoes and Eggplants are as filling as meat, and also restore 20 HP. Wolfgang's favorite food is also roast potatoes, making them restore 40 hunger.

Pumpkins restore a whopping 37.5 hunger and 8 HP. Again, this is for a single slot in the crock pot.

So yeah, basically the only crops that you probably arn't better off eating raw are Carrots, Watermelons, Dragon fruit, onions, chili peppers, Durians, and garlic. And of those crops, I'd say only Dragonfruit has any real use in a crock pot thanks to Dragon Pie. Not counting Warly, obviously.

Durians and Carrots flat out don't have any unique recipes. Peppers are only used for pepper poppers, Garlic is only used in creamy potato puree, and onions are only used in Veggie burgers and Salsa Fresca, the latter of which is just a more spesific version of Veggie stingers, which also use tomatoes.

So I conqure, vegan croc pot dishes are in massive need of an overhaul.

Dextops    1587
1 hour ago, Waxwell Main said:

I'd really like new vegan recipes that are comparable to the dragonpie/beefy greens. 

isn't beefy greens meat tried to eat it as wurt once didn't work out

Hornete    10283
16 hours ago, Lokena said:

As things stand now, Wurt really have less opportunities to spend much time in the sea or caves

Oh yeah, that's pretty understandable, Wurt kind of sucks in the sea with her only food being bull kelp, the corn fishes and..... yeah that's literally it, I would like to see some more vegetarian food options out at the sea for Wurt.

Dextops    1587
10 hours ago, Hornete said:

Oh yeah, that's pretty understandable, Wurt kind of sucks in the sea with her only food being bull kelp, the corn fishes and..... yeah that's literally it, I would like to see some more vegetarian food options out at the sea for Wurt.

i would want more flora and fauna in the ocean in general

King Anchor    1
On 6/2/2021 at 12:39 AM, Tuesday Pidgeon said:

Please, pomegranates are so useless

Yeah they have no use 

Even durian has a use for wurt pomegranates are just fruits that are generally a waste

ArubaroBeefalo    10290
On 6/1/2021 at 6:39 PM, Tuesday Pidgeon said:

Please, pomegranates are so useless

healing... but they last few minutes fresh

i wish klei go for the pun and gave us pome-granades

6 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

healing... but they last few minutes fresh

i wish klei go for the pun and gave us pome-granades

Even then, there's lots of other healing options just from farms alone. There isn't any reason to grow pomegranates unless you're using them for nutrients with another crop.

Karitha    3134

Veggie recipes would be a good reason to using crockpot as wurt & perfect variation for Warly.

BTW I believe one of the content rework is gonna be about crockpot.