Tim S.

What did the ancients offer the ravenous shadow entity?

Tim S.    301

So I've been obsessed again with the murals, hoping to find out more about the gateways nature.

Has anyone of you stumbled upon an interpretation of these weird "plants" the ancients seemed to throw into the hungry being inside the ancient gateway?

WeirdThingies1.png.c81290b87e3931ae89873c4f47bdd179.pngWeirdThingies3.png.73b16e1cdd1ed8dcd78c766e032d9f9b.pngWeirdThingies2.png.42fcbb65ff1bbf5cf8f1ed9d53b81c83.pngWeirdThingieOffering1.png.16e737403a8b0f200ea317bbac316989.png

Don't think those are carrots....  I think the ancients offered radishes to the eldritch god.

At least until the maw demanded gems in exchange for more power I reckon?

GemOfferingIGuess.png.a72556ca971898780f9546b6cf77f475.png

What's your take?

DaZoul    2918
33 minutes ago, minespatch said:

That last screencap does imply the gnaw from the gorge.

Yeah. What if They really are these ancient gods, and the Ancients, who were the Gatekeepers of their time, had to keep these beings from causing a ruckus. Perhaps after they were wiped out by failing their job, that's when poopoo hit the fan, and maybe that's when the Gnaw started infecting the folks of the Bog. 

• Like 1

W0l0l0    705

They look like simplified ancients curled up, I would have suggested that they could be sacrifices but the colour is different.

Definitely think it's a gem in the second one, either that or it's an earthquake. 

Love the gateway and the lore about it. 

Edited by W0l0l0
  • Like 2

lakhnish    2371

Food, gems, technology (?) and ultimately, themselves (alongside the torch bearer).

Spoiler

Obelisk_face2.PNG.thumb.png.15689eb36085f1213443aa7e3b9f6117.png

Obelisk_face3.PNG.thumb.png.ea5779f961a88b52b6a1006ad371e0b4.png

Obelisk_face4.PNG.thumb.png.2004ceb0e912dc8bb7697ffd4d935ab2.png

• Like 1

HowlVoid    2535
1 hour ago, lakhnish said:

I think the first one is more them profiting from the nightmare fuel. They obtained more gems, food, etc. 

Second one to me is that the king and queen where worshipped more due to recent success. Although, one is respected more than the other.

Third one to me is the queen sacrificing herself to do something. Not sure if saving the king, sealing the entity or trying to save her people.

Fourth is that everyone is dead except the king who has to live forever knowing he doomed them all.

I don't think they ever offered themselves as a sacrifice.  Maybe the gems.

• Like 1

ArubaroBeefalo    8839
35 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

I think the first one is more them profiting from the nightmare fuel. They obtained more gems, food, etc. 

Second one to me is that the king and queen where worshipped more due to recent success. Although, one is respected more than the other.

Third one to me is the queen sacrificing herself to do something. Not sure if saving the king, sealing the entity or trying to save her people.

Fourth is that everyone is dead except the king who has to live forever knowing he doomed them all.

I don't think they ever offered themselves as a sacrifice.  Maybe the gems.

im with you. It looks like the profits, not the sacrifices

i see all this nightmere fuel lore as a representation of what we have made to the earth with the irl fuel. It bring a lot of progress but is consuming us and our home. Klei just made it magical

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

minespatch    85660
7 hours ago, Tim S. said:

Have you ever seen the moon in the Gorge?

Perhaps the Gnaw is the moon? The queen offered a exchange for a cure of disease, hence no werepigs.

• Like 2