Recommended Posts

babba    1813

I nearly made the mistake to fuel rocket petroleum engines with ethanol. :ghost:

Perhaps mixing ethanol/oxygen ( or whatever substance ? ) with some other fuel type could create a very powerful new rocket fuel ? What could that be ?

What do you think, should there be some ethanol or some new-ethanol-mixed-fuel rocket engine in the game ?

Any ideas and creativity is welcome :-P

Edited by babba
  • Like 1
  • GL Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ghkbrew    591

Maybe the petroleum engine should also run on ethanol.  Just like the "petroleum" generator does.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TuxSam123    87

Mmm, what about an electric engine? It's very unrealistic, but, it's ONi. Battery modules could be used as fuel modules, and it wouldn't need oxidizer

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ghkbrew    591
5 minutes ago, TuxSam123 said:

what about an electric engine?

The radbolt engine is basically an electric engine with a few extra steps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TuxSam123    87
1 minute ago, ghkbrew said:

The radbolt engine is basically an electric engine with a few extra steps.

Are you sure? The radbolt engine emits lots of nuclear waste and heat when it takes off. The electric engine wouldn't do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ghkbrew    591
2 minutes ago, TuxSam123 said:

Are you sure? The radbolt engine emits lots of nuclear waste and heat when it takes off. The electric engine wouldn't do that.

Dealing with the nuclear waste is one of the extra steps I mentioned :) .  You can just leave it to evaporate into the void with out too much trouble.  My point is that the only thing consumed by the radbolt engine is the electricity used to create radbolts.  The radiation can all come from static, free, infinite radiation sources.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TuxSam123    87
Just now, ghkbrew said:

Dealing with the nuclear waste is one of the extra steps I mentioned :) .  You can just leave it to evaporate into the void with out too much trouble.  My point is that the only thing consumed by the radbolt engine is the electricity used to create radbolts.  The radiation can all come from static, free, infinite radiation sources.

Yes, but if you think about it, electric engines would be much efficient. There would be no energy loss when tranporting electricity to them. There wouldn't emit any gas when taking off. They wouldn't need oxidizer.  If you say that they would be too op, the devs would only need to decrease their rocket height and speed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meltdown    162
26 minutes ago, ghkbrew said:

Maybe the petroleum engine should also run on ethanol.  Just like the "petroleum" generator does.

I don't think that just allowing that is a good idea. Ethanol can be available much earlier than petroleum, so simply replacing the latter in another field without any downsides reduces motivation to explore oil biome. Perhaps ethanol may burn at higher rate, making ethanol-fueled rocket less fuel-efficient? That way, using petroleum rockets without petroleum is possible, but you would still have motivation to migrate on it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rainbowdesign    299

I think it would be much more reasonable to repurpose the oil refinery to be able to process ethanol to petrolium.

Its a bit a balance question however, i am not so sure how much it would change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TuxSam123    87
1 minute ago, Rainbowdesign said:

I think it would be much more reasonable to repurpose the oil refinery to be able to process ethanol to petrolium.

Its a bit a balance question however, i am not so sure how much it would change.

What about crude oil? That does not make much sense. Ethanol is a resource of its own, with similar, but slightly different applications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TuxSam123    87
12 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Electric engines actually exist. They are called ion engines and work by creating propulsion by speeding up ionized gasses in an electric field. They need very little fuel but can`t create much thrust. They work best as deep space angines as they can work for long periods of time. In ONI they would be great as an extra booster module that can`t carry the rocket on it`s own but can extend the range and/or increase the flight speed.

Much like the solid fuel thruster on the base game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sasza22    3361
11 hours ago, TuxSam123 said:

Much like the solid fuel thruster on the base game

Yes, althrough i`d prefer if they added that one too but make it increase the amount of modules you can install instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now